Menu

Outside Transcripts

M&MsMom

As application season is upon us, I wondered when they say "Official Transcript", what they actually mean?

Of course I am sending my official transcript which includes classes from outside sources, most of which do not have transcripts of their own (Lukeion, for example).  I know I have to request official transcripts from any dual-enrolled classes (FAU, for example).  

What about Florida Virtual School (FLVS)?  Do I have to request an official transcript from them?  If so, when?  At the end of senior year, or when we first apply?  

Any help would be appreciated, as I feel the colleges are going to be bombarded with transcripts for this one student!  

Thanks!

Mindy

I sent official transcripts from all credit granting institutions.  This included Oak Meadow (he took Latin there), the private school he attended for two semesters, and the CC.  I did not send transcripts or other documentation from providers that do not grant credit (Derek Owens, for example).

I have heard that you don't actually need to send any high school transcripts other than your own, but I decided that I didn't want to go that route.

If your student completed courses from FLVS prior to senior year, if it were me, I'd send the transcript now as well as a final transcript in June.  If the only classes the student will take from FLVS will be this coming year, I would wait until June to send the transcript.

One school I talked to said send mine & the CC ones now.

Another said just send mine now & the CC in the spring for credit granting purposes, no need to send the CC one now.

I'm sending mine & the CC now, I decided. I want the CC transcript to be seen as official now when they look at his grades for admittance, not just my mom transcript.

An official transcript is one that was sent to the college directly from the school. So a student copy of a transcript, even if issued from the school originally, is not considered official by the college. 

So if you have transcripts from outsourced courses your student took, whether you need to send them in addition to your own transcript kind of depends on what kind of documentation the college wants from homeschoolers. Personally, I would have them sent to add validity to your record.

As far as college transcripts, I would send now for admissions evaluation and then send an updated transcript at the end of spring semester for awarding of transfer credit.

An official transcript is one that was sent to the college directly from the school. So a student copy of a transcript, even if issued from the school originally, is not considered official by the college. 

So if you have transcripts from outsourced courses your student took, whether you need to send them in addition to your own transcript kind of depends on what kind of documentation the college wants from homeschoolers. Personally, I would have them sent to add validity to your record.

As far as college transcripts, I would send now for admissions evaluation and then send an updated transcript at the end of spring semester for awarding of transfer credit.

FWIW, I have not had any college ask to see documentation from a non-accredited outside curriculum provider, nor did I include copies of those grade reports with our submitted documents.

We did have transcripts sent from community colleges and universities where dual enrollment courses were taken.  If my kids had been enrolled in a traditional public or private school or if they had used an accredited online program, I would have had those transcripts sent.

Examples of providers from whom we did not submit grade reports:  The Lukeion Project, Oklahoma State University's high school level German Online program, Edhesive (doesn't grade the course anyway).  

I don't know that a grade report from an online provider the school isn't familiar with adds a ton, especially when the providers are small or located in another state from the college being applied to.  We used subject test scores, National Latin Exam scores, and AP scores to give quantifiable numbers to their level of work.

• Like 1

I would just send your high school transcript and any college transcripts.

That seemed to be the expectation everywhere first ds applied (even the places that had extra homeschool requirements).

I think it is much cleaner and simpler that way. No admissions counselor trying to sort it out. No admissons counselor pondering if the classes lacking transcripts are "real" classes. I am sure it would be fine to send them but I don't think they enhance the application and it just seems cleaner and simpler for admissions to deal with.

I don't know that a grade report from an online provider the school isn't familiar with adds a ton, especially when the providers are small or located in another state from the college being applied to.  We used subject test scores, National Latin Exam scores, and AP scores to give quantifiable numbers to their level of work.

Where did you put the National Latin Exam scores?

Where did you put the National Latin Exam scores?

They were in my course description for each class.  

I had a block for standardized exams on the transcript, but kept that to SAT/Subject Tests/ACT/AP exams.  Other tests were mentioned in the course description for the appropriate course.

Is the Florida Virtual School similar to a charter school? Does it offer a high school diploma? If that is true, then you do need to send that transcript, along with any college transcripts for dual enrollment classes.

I would not worry about sending transcripts from places like PA Homeschoolers.