Menu

Pickup Trucks...Specifically the Ford F150

MommyLiberty5013

Hi. We are a two vehicle family. Our secondary vehicle is a four door sedan. It's 10+ years old. The transmission is likely the next thing to go on it. When that happens or when it needs another $$$ repair, we're going to buy a (used) new vehicle.

We want a pickup truck. We live rurally now and in MN so we can certainly justify that sort of vehicle based on our needs and location/weather. Plus, we may buy a small camper in the future.

We see a lot of Ford F150s around here. Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with those? What features stand out as important to consider (in any truck)? Also, we are looking for a truck with a full sized cab so we can still fit the family inside. There are six of us...do any trucks have a front bench seat to accommodate a sixth passenger?

Thanks!

Edited by MommyLiberty5013

Dh had an 01 that he got 400k miles out of. Actually he sold to a work mate and as far as I know it is still driving. Now he has a 2015 that is super nice....well it is just an XLT, so not loaded, but VERY roomy. Holds six nicely.....middle console flips up for front middle seat if needed.

• Like 1

We have a GMC Sierra with a crew cab. It can seat 6, but I prefer not having a kid up front and there is only 5 in our family. It's our 3rd or 4th GMC/Chevy, that's also the brand the two companies my husband has worked for always purchase. Fords are a good brand too.

One thing to keep in mind with a crew cab is that the standard truck bed is shorter. If you plan to actually use the bed of your truck you may have trouble finding a crew cab with a long bed as they aren't as common.

We have an extended cab Ford and can seat six comfortably though my eldest daughter doesn't like sitting between the toddler car seats. There's tons of leg room in the back seat. If all six are in the car, I sit next to my husband as my oldest two have longer legs than me and their knees bump the console if they sit in the middle.

Our '97 Ford is still serving us well.  It only seats 5 as it's not the super large size, but it's all we needed.  Hubby works a lot in the field with his engineering job (working with different construction crews, etc).  They only use Fords.  It seems to be pretty well known that they're the brand that's the best (in their opinion, obviously).  The common talk I've heard is they're more durable for work.  Other trucks are "for show."  (NOTE:  This is only the opinion of those I've overheard and they only buy Fords, so could be biased.  I'm not looking at any sort of web sites for real data.)  I know ours is banged up a bit due to working all its life and it's still quite a trooper.