Menu

Dr. Hive: Possible achilles tendon rupture

trulycrabby

I was running just a few minutes ago, I stepped off a curb, felt a snap, then mucho pain and now I cannot put weight on my foot.

It's either a partial tear or rupture of the achilles tendon; I have a medical background and know the symptoms.

My question is, is there any compelling medical reason for me to go to the orthopedic urgent after hours office tonight? I'm not dying, and frankly don't want to take my foot off the ice. I can go to the orthopedist saturday clinic tomorrow morning.

Well there's this:

"If a total rupture of the Achilles tendon is suspected then apply cold therapy and compression and seek medical attention as soon as possible. In most cases surgery is required and the sooner this takes place the higher the chances of success. If the injury is left longer than two days then the chances of a successful outcome may decrease."

From:  http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/ankle-achilles-shin-pain/total-rupture-achilles-tendon

Edited by EKS