Menu

Food trucks- big in your area or not

TravelingChris

Didn't they start in LA? ah yes. My brother has had the Korean-American (Roy Choi) who started it all speak at his uni. We've eaten at his Kogi trucks. YUM! (Korean/Mexican fusion)

So anyway, yeah, super-popular here. Our church had several food trucks come when we had two services Saturday evening (4pm and 6pm); it was fun having such a variety available – it's nice when people want to try different things, but you can all eat together. We visited a museum in Victoria/BC last year and they had food trucks in their courtyard – I had fresh salmon :D and my family had traditional burgers. Like the OP said the mix of flavors is fun – I love the Korean–Japanese fusion (KoJa), Korean–Mexican, Cuban, etc. Oh, and the big tech firms here (Google, etc.) have a nice array of food trucks for their employees' lunch – I've seen Indian, Cuban, Korean, etc. and of course Mexican and burgers. Also our local high school had food trucks every Wednesday evening for people to come and mingle; and UC Berkeley has them at its annual open house. The downside can be that the lines are long! 

• Like 2

Every year, our high school band does a food truck fundraiser night. We also have a dessert one at homecoming and use the Varsity one for the senior picnic. One of the local high schools has a taco truck at every home soccer game. The owner is a parent at the school. They always run out of food. i think there are food truck parks, too, in the area.

• Like 1

Yes. I think DC was pretty behind the curve on the whole food truck thing, but we did catch up eventually.

If you do a vacation here and want to experience the variety of food trucks, some tourist friendly spots they line up include near the L'Enfant metro station, along the back of Air & Space and American Indian, and near the Archives/Navy Yard station. There are bigger line ups around the city at lunch as well.

They are pricey. And the quality varies dramatically. A lot of the kebab ones are just very blah - even the ones that have sleeker trucks. And I've had some duds that looked like they were going to be good and turned out to be $9 of nothing. But some of the little restaurants started as trucks and still put their trucks out - like Dangerously Delicious, which has good pies both sweet and savory, and TaKorean, which is Korean tacos.

• Like 1

Sadly, we have nearly zero food trucks here.

I'm still waiting for the taco truck on every corner I was promised. I regret many things about the 2016 election, but the failure of the taco truck team is surely one of the great tragedies.

Maybe after the next election cycle, we'll get the promised taco trucks. 

• Like 3

Well, not in our small town, but in our big metro area which we visit often, yes!  They are very popular:  at businesses, breweries, lakes, parks, busy office areas, special events, etc.   I think they're a fun idea!