Menu

Chemistry for Kids-- what is that cartoony book/curriculum?

Writerdaddy

I saw this years ago here on the forum but I can't find it in any searches now.

It was a science book or curriculum, the author was a woman who publishes in all science fields, I think on her own website.

In the reviews here on the WTMF it was the chemistry text that was the favorite, and I even saw a sample which made chemical bonds make a lot of sense with clever drawings.

Anyone know what I'm talking about maybe?

thanks for your help-- I've searched here a lot and didn't find it.

Edited by Writerdaddy

I even saw a sample which made chemical bonds make a lot of sense with clever drawings.

Thanks, but it was more elementary than either ellen machinery or RS4K, I believe. 

If it explained chemical bonds, how was it more elementary than Ellen McHenry's Elements?

If it explained chemical bonds, how was it more elementary than Ellen McHenry's Elements?

That is what I thought but Super Smart Science is actually even more elementary and does explain bonds really well.

I am so intrigued now...I hope OP figures it out and tells us :)

And the winner is: 

It was RS4K after all. Now that I look at the Pre Level 1 (I didn't realize what level I was looking at) I see that is the one I remember.

Thanks for the prod of my memory!!

"More elementary than RS4K?  Are you sure?  Their pre-level1 is my favorite intro to chem for little guys because of the cute cartoon atoms holding hands."

Edited by Writerdaddy

The cartoon guide is solid high school level Chem. It can be fun for a younger child with good reading skills to read, but actually understanding it takes some background. It's also kind of at a Mad Magzine level of humor-so think middle school and up.

And the winner is:

It was RS4K after all. Now that I look at the Pre Level 1 (I didn't realize what level I was looking at) I see that is the one I remember.

Thanks for the prod of my memory!!

"More elementary than RS4K? Are you sure? Their pre-level1 is my favorite intro to chem for little guys because of the cute cartoon atoms holding hands."

Glad you figured it out :)

Yep, the atoms linking arms was the first thing that popped in my mind when you first posted. LOVE the way RS4K explains Chemistry. Make sure to also grab a copy of Adam the Atom too to go along with it. My kids loved it so much and it is a clever way to introduce bonds.