Menu

WWYD...oral thrush

SparklyUnicorn

OMG..I'm sorry.  Yet another issue.

So I suspect I've had thrush in my mouth and esophagus.  Apparently not uncommon for long time GERD sufferers.  Last time I was there at the doc's I mentioned it.  At that point in time it wasn't bad at all so she didn't see much but then said she'd prescribe something.  Then she called back and said no they don't want to interfere with the testing.  Ok not a big deal because it wasn't bothering me at that time.

So today it was super bad.  I am fed up.  So I went to a walk in clinic.  I was honest about the situation and told them about the testing and blah blah.  But I said the testing is not until mid September!  So 2 more months of suffering?!  That's not fair.  I was under the impression they'd get me in way sooner than that so I didn't flip out.  So PA did prescribe something and said don't swallow it so it doesn't treat your esophagus because of the testing.  Wait...whoa whoa.  So you mean to tell me you want to give me something that could give me relief, but I am not to partake in real relief?   I said well what will they do if they discover this in my esophagus.  They'll treat it.  The treatment is the same (as far as I can tell from whatever I could find on the Internet).  :mellow:

I really don't understand.  I of course am tempted to drink this stuff like it is going out of style because I've been suffering with this on and off for months.  Because I truly do not understand why they are doing this in this way.  It makes no sense.

First dose I did spit it out.  But I'm still very conflicted.  Can anyone possibly explain this to me?! 

Did she give you Flagyl? In that case, swish and spit. That's what my gastro has me on for SIBO and I have to drink it, but it's traditionally used for Thrush as just an oral rinse. It's not systemic, and even if you swallow it you'll be fine by the time you get to that test. It's not going to affect your reflux most likely. If it does you'll have insight that you may have a different issue than GERD. You should get relief by using it as a mouthwash. It can be used indefinitely by my understanding. 

Nystatin 

I'm sorry, yet that's what I meant. Flagyl's an antibiotic, not an anti-fungal. I would do as directed. you should have pretty quick relief. 

Tell them what you told the doc and what the doc told you.

They basically just relay the information from the doc regarding treatment.  He told me this is what the doctor ordered.  I know what the doctor ordered because she told me what she was ordering.

I just am a little baffled that they insist on making me suffer for over 2 months so they can I guess see something?!  I don't know. 

Ugh..And once I have to go off the Zantac, that'll make this 10,000 more painful on top of that. 

They are supposed to call me back. I will give them an earful when they do. 

I'm sorry, yet that's what I meant. Flagyl's an antibiotic, not an anti-fungal. I would do as directed. you should have pretty quick relief. 

The worst of the pain is in my throat though.  Which would only be helped if I swallowed it.  : (

At the rate I'm going they may have to check me into a mental hospital because I'm going to lose it.  I'm out of patience.

I'm not sure what I'd ask them.

I basically want to know why my doc insists on withholding treatment.  So he can see pretty stuff when he looks down my gullet?  :laugh:

Honestly I'm not sure. It's seems like a trial on Nystatin would be a first line attempt at treatment. But maybe it's just a quick fix to an underlying problem? The amount of PPI's etc. you're taking though- it isn't surprising at this point you end up with thrush. I would call the doctor's office and see if you can just talk to the nurse or PA and ask. But since you're almost 60 days out from a test, I don't see how it would affect your results at this point. In my case, the dr. has me on it indefinitely, but that's not your issue. If I were really curious, I'd just call and ask. 

Someone I work with gets GERD from yeast in her esophagus. She takes an anti-fungal (usually systemic not just a mouth rinse) and then she is better for a long time and does not have any GERD symptoms. When she feels her symptoms coming on again her dr prescribes her the anti-fungal and she is much better again. If that is causing it then it may be a treatable thing and you'll feel much better after the treatment.

• Like 1

Honestly I'm not sure. It's seems like a trial on Nystatin would be a first line attempt at treatment. But maybe it's just a quick fix to an underlying problem? The amount of PPI's etc. you're taking though- it isn't surprising at this point you end up with thrush. I would call the doctor's office and see if you can just talk to the nurse or PA and ask. But since you're almost 60 days out from a test, I don't see how it would affect your results at this point. In my case, the dr. has me on it indefinitely, but that's not your issue. If I were really curious, I'd just call and ask. 

The treatment would be the same if they saw it with their own eyes.  KWIM?

I did ask.  They keep giving me non answers.  They don't want it to interfere with testing.  How would it interfere with testing?!  I said if they find this in my esophagus what will they do.  Treat it.  With the same stuff?  Yes.  So why not treat me NOW?!  Cuz, ya know, I'm in pain NOW.....

It's not fair to make me wait over 2 months for relief. 

I would tell them, look, you'll take it for 2 weeks in such a way that it can fix your esophagus too, if that is part of the problem.  If you don't experience significant improvement in 2 weeks, you'll quit and wait until September.  If you do experience significant improvement, why stop what is working?

• Like 2

The worst of the pain is in my throat though.  Which would only be helped if I swallowed it.  : (

At the rate I'm going they may have to check me into a mental hospital because I'm going to lose it.  I'm out of patience.

It's not a systemic med though, so I'm not sure how effective it would be for your throat, if that makes sense. It's not going to be sitting there, doing it's thing. As a mouthwash is probably the most effective way to get it to your throat. It's not going to hurt you to swallow it, but it probably won't help much. That might be why your doctor hasn't prescribed it. But it could help your tongue. That's why when you first had the burning tongue, the white patches were the fist thing I asked about. You don't have any acid left (as ironic as that is) to fight off any other sort of pathogen, so things take advantage. 

I'm not a pharmacist though, so that's just me using my pharma knowledge to logically walk through. However, not all medicine follows what we think of as logic. It definitely won't hurt to call and ask your pharmacist. They're usually more knowledgable than the doctors on the pharmokinetics to give you the info you're asking about as long as they don't defer the question as a CYA sort of thing. 

I would tell them, look, you'll take it for 2 weeks in such a way that it can fix your esophagus too, if that is part of the problem.  If you don't experience significant improvement in 2 weeks, you'll quit and wait until September.  If you do experience significant improvement, why stop what is working?

I like this.  Yes, I will tell them this.

I mean I CAN swallow it against her direction.  It COULD help.  There is not much stopping me.  But I am trying to understand their reasoning and do what is the best thing.  I'm just not understanding though because it's not making sense.

It's not a systemic med though, so I'm not sure how effective it would be for your throat, if that makes sense. It's not going to be sitting there, doing it's thing. As a mouthwash is probably the most effective way to get it to your throat. It's not going to hurt you to swallow it, but it probably won't help much. That might be why your doctor hasn't prescribed it. But it could help your tongue. That's why when you first had the burning tongue, the white patches were the fist thing I asked about. You don't have any acid left (as ironic as that is) to fight off any other sort of pathogen, so things take advantage. 

I'm not a pharmacist though, so that's just me using my pharma knowledge to logically walk through. However, not all medicine follows what we think of as logic. It definitely won't hurt to call and ask your pharmacist. They're usually more knowledgable than the doctors on the pharmokinetics to give you the info you're asking about as long as they don't defer the question as a CYA sort of thing. 

It's not a mouthwash.  It's just not in a pill form.  You swish and swallow.  Swish to coat your mouth a bit and swallow to coat your throat/esophagus. 

If it wouldn't have any effect on the esophagus, what is the point of saying don't use it in the esophagus?

I agree that Nystatin is one of those contact ones, though - it just passes harmlessly through the digestive tract, is my understanding.  I had a baby with thrush and just applying it to the inside of the mouth was the treatment.  

• Like 1

The treatment would be the same if they saw it with their own eyes.  KWIM?

I did ask.  They keep giving me non answers.  They don't want it to interfere with testing.  How would it interfere with testing?!  I said if they find this in my esophagus what will they do.  Treat it.  With the same stuff?  Yes.  So why not treat me NOW?!  Cuz, ya know, I'm in pain NOW.....

It's not fair to make me wait over 2 months for relief. 

It's hard to find a good GI. You could fly down here and go to mine!!

Maybe this guy could give you a consult. Or refer you to someone in your area: 

http://drhyman.com/blog/2017/04/06/heartburn-candida-gut-trying-tell/

That's the guy I told you about who I read before I found my new GI who uses the same philosophies. I didn't experience any miracles, but it's way better and at least he listened. I'm not ever expecting 100% relieve at this point, but compared to where I was in January it's been like a freaking miracle. I'm taking meds maybe once a week versus 6-8 times a day now. You already have the diet covered. Maybe the system reset like I'm doing would help? We did the flagyl, then Nystatin 3x a day (swallowed not swished) plus Xifaxin 3 days. Throw in VSL #3 as a probiotic. You have two months and the Nystatin. Maybe it will help. At least you'll know. I think your current GI is just trying for the lazy/easy way out. 

It's not a mouthwash.  It's just not in a pill form.  You swish and swallow.  Swish to coat your mouth a bit and swallow to coat your throat/esophagus. 

Right- it's just a liquid.  I bet it's the same I have. I just have to swallow mine, but luckily the doctor told me that because the pharmacist told me to just use it as a rinse. That's the more common usage than using it for IBS like I have. I took 1 teaspoon 3x a day. I have a pint of it  in my cabinet as I type. Seriously. 

Right- it's just a liquid.  I bet it's the same I have. I just have to swallow mine, but luckily the doctor told me that because the pharmacist told me to just use it as a rinse. That's the more common usage than using it for IBS like I have. I took 1 teaspoon 3x a day. I have a pint of it  in my cabinet as I type. Seriously. 

Well it is funny because the other doc offered it to me and just called it a rinse.  Probably so I wouldn't be tempted to swallow it.  The PA tonight told me the truth about it.  LOL  She should not have.  Because now of course I want to swallow it.

Well it is funny because the other doc offered it to me and just called it a rinse.  Probably so I wouldn't be tempted to swallow it.  The PA tonight told me the truth about it.  LOL  She should not have.  Because now of course I want to swallow it.

I I just checked my bottle. It says drink 5ml three times a day, but it doesn't have more info on the volume of the Rx. I'm assuming the dose is standard though from what I can find online.

And for the record, I hope no one ever comes across this conversation in other context with all the spitting and swallowing talk.  :lol: I've hung out here too long and have a brain in the gutter what with Tea and BOoks and all. 

It's not going to hurt anything though if you swallow it. You'll know within a week if it's helping. I'm guessing it will change the Ph for your test and that's why they say not to . But you have loads of time. I think your GI is being a jerk. Just make sure you're off 2 weeks or so before the tube up your nose test. I don't think it would affect the endoscopy. 

The PA I saw tonight raved about the GI doc.  I'm not impressed.  I said I have to wait forever for anything.  She said oh yeahhh cuz he is so good and so popular.  Yeah...I dunno. 

Yeah that's annoying. I think the more popular they get the more they tend to blow everything off. I had to drive almost an hour to get a GI that wasn't in the same circle as my dismissive one. It wasn't until my new GI called and got him on the phone that he even started talking about some of my diagnosis stuff he hadn't even told ME! I wanted to reach through the phone and punch him. 

You'd think as many people as there are here, we'd have ONE GI in the house to help you with info instead of some weird lady in Texas with a sensitive GI tract who is just as baffled as you are. 

I used to counsel nursing mothers, and a local lactation consultant was a nationally-recognized expert on thrush.  (It can be an issue for nursing mothers and babies, who can pass it back and forth to each other.)  Based on her advice, we suggested that moms swab the Nystatin around the affected areas in baby's mouth with a Q-tip.  We would tell mothers not to dip the Q-tip into the bottle once it's been in the mouth; use a new q-tip.  We also suggested things like binkies, etc., be washed regularly; that would also apply to anything else that goes in mother or baby's mouth.  And we'd suggest that mom drastically minimize the amount of sugar consumed.
This was quite a while ago, so I don't know if any of this advice has changed.  But I'd thought I'd mention the swabbing, as maybe you would be able to target more areas than a "swish" would reach (though obviously not much more!), and the washing of mouth things (toothbrush?), and the sugar (which may have been an old wives tale but did seem to help and certainly is unlikely to hurt).

I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this.   :grouphug:

I don't know if you read the whole thread, or some of Sparkly's other ones, but she doesn't really eat sugar.  She said she eats as much sugar as is in broccoli (by eating broccoli).

Glad to hear that.  I haven't been keeping up with WTM much lately; busy with summer stuff.  

Haven't read the other replies. A few years ago my ds had thrush (neglected to properly clean his retainer). Doc prescribed diflucan and an oral rinse. One dose of diflucan knocked it right out and he ended up not using the rinse at all.