Menu

Tell me about Mosdos...

You know...because I can never just settle on something and go with it, lol.  

So far with my 11 and 10 yr olds, I've chosen 2-3 novels a year, had them read them, and then we've discussed...typically using various Lit guides from various places...discussion questions I've come up with, etc.  

They are now entering 6th grade and as of right now I'm planning on Anne of Green Gables, Little Lord Fauntleroy (with a comparative slant between these two novels), and Bridge to Terabithia. I have Lit guides pending for Bridge to Terabithia and Anne, and there's an array of stuff available online for LLF.  

But then somebody mentioned Mosdos and I took a good look and now I'm second-guessing.  If not for this year, then perhaps for 7th and 8th.  

The sticker shock is pretty big though.  It's $200+ for the entire grade level...including test book.    

General thoughts/opinions of this program?  Do you definitely need the teachers manuals (which is where the $$$ is), or can you get away with just the student book, workbook, and test bank?  

How independent is this?  

Edited by Sweetpea3829

I think there have been a lot of reviews about it here before; I know I've posted some.

We really liked the Jade level. Student Edition is required, and it goes into quite a bit of detail. But, the Teacher's Edition adds even more details; some say it's too much but it's easy to pick and choose. I was glad we had it. The workbook was a waste of money for us; we gave it up quickly because it felt like schooly busy work, but some people like workbooks. The Student Edition has a handful of questions after each work that were enough to spark interesting discussions. Didn't bother buying the tests.

I used it just with my 1 child who is a fast reader who thrives on open discussions. I originally thought it would be impossible to finish in a year, but she loved it so we made it a priority daily and finished it much earlier than I expected.

She hadn't been very open to experimenting with new genres, but she was willing to read anything in the book. 

I didn't like the selections in grade 8 nearly as much so we're switching to Oak Meadow for 8th.

Edited by deerforest

I love the 6th grade book- we didn't finish it last year, so w are finishing it in 7th grade.  We get the textbook and the workbook- I think that's less than $100.  I did not bother w/ teacher editions or the tests CD ROM.  It was still PLENTY.  I think it covers vocab, reading, literature terms, and writing.  THe only thing it might not covr is grammar and spelling- those I would just skip unless kiddo is having spelling issues. 

I have used 3rd Grade- loved it, I added spelling, other writing, and a few books

5th Grade- added spelling, and another writing program

6th Grade- added spelling- this one has tons of writing

For  7th grade I am doing about the last 1/3 of the 6th grade book, adding Word Roots (instead of spelling), GUM grammar, and starting formal essay writing.  I have a few novels, too, planned out.  I like the idea of finishing the book, but also having time for everything else, the 6th grade book has a LOT of stuff in it IMO>

We just use the student book, and I still feel it's a pretty thorough reading program. For each story, we discuss the theme (which it clearly teaches before in the introduction). Then my DD reads independently. Following the story are discussion questions, which we do orally, but you could easily have your child answer in a spiral notebook to check later. We don't do any of the extra stuff (we have separate writing, vocab, penmanship, grammar, spelling).

I've been using the Jade book (7th)and will finish with that and start Gold (8th) next year for my 8th grade DS. I will use Ruby for my 4th grade DD next year. With Mosdos, I think it depends on the level whether or not you would want the workbook. The Jade workbook is not worth the $ in my opinion and I wish I had not purchased it (from RR) but the Pearl workbook usually is well -reviewed and people think it's worth it.

I am one who believes the teacher manuals are well worth the money and I have them for every level I use. I have purchased both Jade manuals for about $70.00 used and got both Ruby TMs for $43.00 used and both Gold TMs for $43.00 used all from Alibris, Ebay and Amazon. Check Bookfinder.com using the author's name (Judith Factor) for good used prices of everything but the Test CDs. I have not been able to find the test CDs used on their own and they do cost a lot on Rainbow. I think it depends on the level whether I will use/need the test CD—the older the student, the more I think it is useful to add in tests so I will not bother for the Ruby level. The cost for Mosdos materials vary widely so don't get discouraged if you see high prices. Just wait a day or two and a reasonably priced book will be listed.

Right now on Ebay, someone is selling the 2 TMs, workbook and textbook for Jade for $125.00 total with free shipping. Bidding right now on Ebay starts at $49.00 for Gold 2TMs, textbook, and Test CD all in excellent condition.

I bought Coral 2TMs, textbook and test CD for $109.00 including shipping on Ebay  a few weeks ago (Buy it now or best offer) to use with my DD when she is in 5th grade. I like the program that much and that was a good deal so I bought early! I'm not sure if I will buy the Coral workbook or not yet. You really do not have to spend $200.00+ for Mosdos materials and they hold their value for resale : ).

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher

We have never used the TM or the other books, just the student reader.  We read through the story as a read-a-loud and then discuss using the provided questions.  There is a lot of meat in the student reader.  There are also writing assignments if you want to take it a step further.  All my kids have really enjoyed Mosdos.  Next year I plan to have the older two do some reading on their own and a bit more of the writing portions.  I really like the variety in Mosdos.  I am not a 100% fan on the novel excerpts, but I deal with it. 

We have never used the TM or the other books, just the student reader.  We read through the story as a read-a-loud and then discuss using the provided questions.  There is a lot of meat in the student reader.  There are also writing assignments if you want to take it a step further.  All my kids have really enjoyed Mosdos.  Next year I plan to have the older two do some reading on their own and a bit more of the writing portions.  I really like the variety in Mosdos.  I am not a 100% fan on the novel excerpts, but I deal with it. 

Jess, what level did you use when you combined your kiddos?  I'd love to combine mine, but I'm not sure I can based on their abilities.

My 7th grader is a voracious reader and pretty advanced.  A bright kid that catches on easily and can verbalize his thoughts well.  He's done zero work with literary elements.

My 5th grader is an average student and works very hard.  She's a voracious reader as well, however, she has an extremely hard time verbalizing her thoughts on most any topic. (We're looking into having her tested. She's also dyslexic in spelling, but a great reader.) She's not been exposed to literary elements either.

I'm considering using 6th grade (Pearl, I think) for both of them and combining for a lit discussion at the end of the week.

Would it work to use Pearl with both of them, even though they have such vastly different abilities?

And then there's my super smart 3rd grader.... Sigh.  Lots of decisions to make!!

ETA: Forgive me, OP!  I wasn't intentionally trying to derail your thread. Apologies!

Edited by MamaHill

LOL, derail away!!  

So the Mosdos curriculum only uses novel excerpts, not the entire novel?  I don't particularly care for that.  Though I could potentially work with it and just have them read the novel for summer school.  

Jade level uses complete poems and short stories and one full novel. The only excerpts were from the play selections.

We are using Ruby (4th grade) and Pearl (6th grade) this year.   We use the student text and the workbook.   I like the comprehension questions, writing assignments, vocabulary exercises in the workbook.  

Next year I'm going to get Jade for my son and bump my daughter up to Pearl.  She's a very strong reader and I already have a second Pearl workbook since I accidentally ordered two.

I don't think there are that many novel excerpts, mostly short stories and poetry.

Jess, what level did you use when you combined your kiddos?  I'd love to combine mine, but I'm not sure I can based on their abilities.

My 7th grader is a voracious reader and pretty advanced.  A bright kid that catches on easily and can verbalize his thoughts well.  He's done zero work with literary elements.

My 5th grader is an average student and works very hard.  She's a voracious reader as well, however, she has an extremely hard time verbalizing her thoughts on most any topic. (We're looking into having her tested. She's also dyslexic in spelling, but a great reader.) She's not been exposed to literary elements either.

I'm considering using 6th grade (Pearl, I think) for both of them and combining for a lit discussion at the end of the week.

Would it work to use Pearl with both of them, even though they have such vastly different abilities?

And then there's my super smart 3rd grader.... Sigh.  Lots of decisions to make!!

ETA: Forgive me, OP!  I wasn't intentionally trying to derail your thread. Apologies!

We used the Coral level with a 7th grader (dyslexic, hasn't covered much for literary elements), 5th grader and 2nd grader.  They all enjoyed the selections and retained the info.  We also added in interactive notebooks for the older two and a couple of the writing assignments.  I had the kids read parts occasionally, but usually it was me reading aloud to them. 

LOL, derail away!!  

So the Mosdos curriculum only uses novel excerpts, not the entire novel?  I don't particularly care for that.  Though I could potentially work with it and just have them read the novel for summer school.  

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  There are lots of complete short stories, poems, etc.  Coral, for example, has an excerpt from By the Shores of Silver Lake and Black Beauty.  I think those are the only two.  It's really not a big issue.  I am just picky. LOL 

We used the Coral level with a 7th grader (dyslexic, hasn't covered much for literary elements), 5th grader and 2nd grader.  They all enjoyed the selections and retained the info.  We also added in interactive notebooks for the older two and a couple of the writing assignments.  I had the kids read parts occasionally, but usually it was me reading aloud to them. 

Thank you, Jess, for replying!  I just ordered Coral yesterday, so I'm glad to read your response.

I was planning on using it with the 7, 5, 3, and 1st (who is just tagging along but loves a read loud), and then having my 5th work on the student workbook.  She's the one who needs to work on verbalizing her thoughts and narration in general.

But the interactive notebook...that's a thought.  My older two could definitely work on that simultaneously and start with the basics of literary elements.

You've got my wheels spinning in how I can make this work.  Thank you!!

• Like 1

If you're interested in saving money, you can look up student texts/ teacher texts of middle school literature books on Amazon and probably pay less than $20.00 total for both student and teacher texts of older editions.  McDougal Littel, Glencoe, Prentice Hall, etc. will all have classic short stories, essays, biographies, poetry, etc.  They even have interactive notebooks type workbooks with some of the stories and room on the sides for guided annotations.