Menu

What works for SPD and brushing teeth?

summerreading

I don't know if I should post this on the LC board or here. Not related to schooling so I guess here. 

I am considering getting DS 7 an OT eval for SPD. The description fits him to a T. Until then, I'd like to tackle the issue of brushing his teeth, just one of several hygiene battles. 

This morning we tried just the toothbrush with a little bit of water, still gagging. We had to do it in another room because he doesn't like any smell like even natural cleaner. But it was a huge step in that he did it himself.

We are using Tom's Silly Strawberry, which he tolerates barely. I ordered some bubble gum flavored to try instead. We tried an electric toothbrush and he can't handle it.

Please tell me what has worked for you.

My DS12 tolerates Aquafresh mild mint flavor but would not take bubblegum flavor. So the dentist use the grape flavor one for him for fluoride paste.

I used to help him brush with the baby finger toothbrush when he was much younger.

• Like 1

It takes time, but this is what an OT would do as well.

My avoider now has braces and is doing great with that too.

Oh, I get it now. I thought he could only tolerate it if it was really stimulating, but you are saying he's an avoider so go strong to desensitize. Didn't think of that. 

I'm looking at maybe a toothbrush that wraps around the teeth to make it more efficient and quicker, like these https://www.amazon.com/Surround-Toothbrush-Pack-of-4/dp/B007MRORWQ

I think I'll own a lot of toothbrushes soon!

No toothpaste is necessary.  Fingertip toothbrush may help him feel more in control.  Then work up to a toothbrush.

I'll take your word for it since you are a dental hygienist! Our town stopped putting fluoride in the water. I know this is a debatable thing, but assuming I think it's needed, what should I do?

Our SN dentist teaches the kids a 5-count and swears that is all that's necessary (for these kids at least); in each quadrant, a simple back & forth 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, then move to the next quadrant. It gives them something to focus on (the counting), a set time limit (not an indefinite amount of brushing), lets them be in charge, etc. He also encourages them to spit/rinse *at any point* in the process, vs the "wait until the end" we all grew up with/tend to do. That sounds simple but was so revolutionary to me. That simple act/ability to do that helps mine a TON. 

For desensitizing, he does encourage a spin brush/electric brush, but maybe work up to that.  Let him do it, sit down, get comfy, maybe sitting on the ground with a hand mirror instead of standing (our dentist does their first appts in a giant bean bag, if that's what they want...). Starting with a dry brush can help like others said. We also stick with a 3 month schedule for the dentist, and that's helping a lot. Then it's just exposure, exposure, exposure, getting them used to everything. Just takes time, patience and repetition. 

I'll take your word for it since you are a dental hygienist! Our town stopped putting fluoride in the water. I know this is a debatable thing, but assuming I think it's needed, what should I do?

Will he rinse?

If yes, ACT.  I have had parents soak toothbrushes before brushing too.  Sometimes it can be the foaming sensation of toothpaste that will cause a kid to react.

HTH

• Like 1

My SPD kid began working with an OT as a five year old, and we saw great improvements.  Hygiene was still a challenge though.  We just reconnected a few months ago for a check in, and teeth brushing was on the list of things to work on for us.  He is also overwhelmed by an electric toothbrush and will only use a normal one (poorly) under much nagging.  They are currently working on a protocol for this, but she recommended the Nuk brushes for use at home in the meantime.  Like this:

https://funandfunction.com/nuk-massage-brush.html

The Nuks are surprisingly effective.  After a comfort level has built up using those, she recommended starting with a very stiff brush bristle, because of the heavy pressure the kids use when brushing (A softer toothbrush would just collapse) and as the pressure starts to regulate, work your way down to a softer brush.

Our dentist also recommended a gentle mouthwash, if your child can tolerate that, in place of toothpaste.