Menu

Spelling program for dyslexia - your opinions needed :)

HollyM

I'm sure it's been asked a million times now, and I've read some previous threads as well but I would still like opinions on what spelling program has worked well for you if you have a child with dyslexia.

We are getting through decoding right now using an orton-gillingham method and supplementing with Explode the Code but I do not feel this is giving my son enough practice in actually spelling words he is learning to decode.

Any suggestions welcome! Good, bad and the ugly!

I didn't start a spelling program with my dyslexic son until he had learned to read well (on about a 4th grade level). At that point we started using Sequential Spelling. We are now in our fourth year with this program. It's working as well as any spelling program can with him and it is low stress for both of us.

What program are you using that is OG based? The gold standard IMO, is a reading/spelling program called Barton. You may already be familiar with it, but if not, I'd say do some research into it. It's very expensive, but wonderful for anyone with dyslexia.

I didn't have the money to spend on a full Barton program so I ended up going with All About Spelling, which is OG based and a lot less money. It's not as comprehensive as Barton (no reading) but if you can make up your own reading program, then I think ASS can be a great help. We're more than half way through the 2nd level and it's helped my dd a lot. hth!

Apples and Pears http://www.soundfoundationsbooks.co.uk/

This is very easy to use and effective. I would not start it though until the child can read at a 2nd grade level.

My son is 12, and we are on Book C. It has been the only program that has actually helped him spell.

My son does not have dyslexia, but other severe LD's that make spelling extremely difficult.

Michelle T

Hi,

We're using Sequential Spelling, I don't like it too much due to I have to make up sentences for the words, and I don't feel it's really helping my son. He is ADD and my daughter is autistic , I am also looking for another program myself, and I will give all 5 of these books away!!! Anyone have any suggestions for me too?

Hi,

We're using Sequential Spelling, I don't like it too much due to I have to make up sentences for the words, and I don't feel it's really helping my son. He is ADD and my daughter is autistic , I am also looking for another program myself, and I will give all 5 of these books away!!! Anyone have any suggestions for me too?

I gave up on SS- I much prefer Apples and Pears.

We are use HEC Reading Horizons at home (based on Charlotte Lockhart's "Discover Intensive Phonics for Yourself") as our Orton Gillingham phonics program. It's great, I can't say enough good things about it.

It's scripted and starts with phonemic awareness and goes straight through - there is software program that goes with it that is very, very good. For those with children who are struggling it is perfect - the software even shows children (by little video clips of a real human mouth making the letter sounds) how the mouth is shaped for every letter.

Highly recommend it (my son does NOT do well with manipulatives such as those offered in Barton and the cards in Wilson - he is a fidgeter and ultra creative - word and letter blocks become knights, fighter planes, anything but letter blocks, cards to tap become houses to build or just plain instruments of torture if he's not allowed to use them differently.)

So while the program I'm using does a great job of teaching children to read and it has workbook exercises for spelling, I was looking for something more to supplement with as well. I suppose I can just keep on using the word lists that are supplied, I was hoping to challenge him some more - the software really goes to 3rd grade, beyond that is what I'm aiming for right now.

Edited by HollyM

Encoding work should be done simultaneously with decoding, not separatley. In each lesson that they learn to decode, there should be a component for encoding those same sounds....

Wilson has it built in....with other programs, you can build it in...

our lessons go something like this:

1)teach/reteach with letter cards....ie using letter cards to introduce a sound, a blend, a digraph....or reteach it.... or words with the letter cards....

2)then word cards to practice decoding what was taught, what needs to be reviewed....

3)then charting word reading

4)then asking the student 'what makes the sound'......and they have to find the cards....doing whatever was done in step one...but in reverse...the student is finding the sounds...., the blend, the digraph

5)then words....say the word, the student repeats it, spells it out orally, then writes it...

etc etc.....i'm not feeling great right now so I can't write more, but you get the gist of it.

:)

K

I looked at HEC Horizons for Reading and it does look amazing. I'm glad to 'meet' someone who is actually using it.

At the end of the day, I couldn't sign on b/c I couldn't get past the fact that in the teaching/instructional video (the free one on the main website), they say so many of the phonemes incorrectly.

qwah for /qw/ and numerous other examples.

But the program overall looks really really well put together. Do keep us posted.

:)

K

Encoding work should be done simultaneously with decoding, not separatley. In each lesson that they learn to decode, there should be a component for encoding those same sounds....

Yes, the program I am using does do that but I'd like even more practice for my son.

I know everyone has their favorite programs, I'm aware of the two most-mentioned available but the program we are using has worked and is working very well for us. I just would like, for my son, more spelling practice.

Edited by HollyM

My free online phonics and spelling lessons both have a lot of spelling rules and spelling practice. (The spelling lessons are a short version of the phonics lessons highlighting the spelling rules, they move at a very fast pace.)

I've had success with them with several children who have been diagnosed with dyslexia--however, all of these children were exposed to Dolch Sight Words, so it may not be true organic dyslexia but a form of dyslexia caused by sight words.

At any rate, they're free and may be helpful!

Phonics Lessons: http://www.thephonicspage.org/Phonics%20Lsns/phonicslsnslinks.html

Spelling Lessons:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellinglessonsl.html

If your child has had more than 10 sight words, I recommend giving a before and after MWIA and using a lot of nonsense words.

MWIA: http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

Free game that makes both real and nonsense words: http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

and how to teach all but 5 of the Dolch sight words phonetically:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

Webster's Speller is also a great free spelling resource, link below. Its focus on syllables should be helpful for students having trouble with normal methods.

Edited by ElizabethB