Menu

ISO: Winter Squash recipe for guys who don't like winter squash

We cut it in half and bake it. My dh puts butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar on it. It's like candy. I just like it plain, though. :)

We use this recipe with eggplant, and it may work with squash. I'll have to try it, myself.

Put olive oil in saucepan. Put in eggplant, fresh tomatoes (or canned), garlic, salt, a bit of cumin and cook. Serve with tortilla chips.

This is a hard one. Spaghetti squash still seems like squash even with sauce on it. One thing you want to do is be sure to cook it well. It is even worse when it is undercooked.

Here is a good recipe for Butternut squash. You put it over gourmet noodles from the store, cheese filled ravioli is best.

Fry, until translucent, in 2 Tbls. butter two onions chopped.

Add 1/2 cup white wine (optional),

2-3 cans chicken broth and

3 pounds cubed butternut squash (stab, microwave to soften, peel, deseed and cube or just chop it up the hard way).

pinch of ginger and nutmeg

Simmer till soft.

Set aside to cool slightly. Then process in the food processor or blender, either all or part of the mixture. You get to decide what your family will like.

Add to the processor 3/4 cream cheese *or* neufchalet cheese and

3/4 cup half and half (I have used regular milk in a pinch).

When and if it needs reheating, warm it slowly just to warm. It will break otherwise and not be pleasant. I like bacon bits or fried bacon as a garnish. It is also very good as a soup with crusty bread.

This one is from Saving Dinner by Leanne Fly. My kids love it and barely know it is squash.

This is a fave soup of ours. My guys aren't usually squash-y, but they love this. It came from somewhere online, but I don't know where anymore.

Butternut Squash Soup

4 pounds butternut squash (can also use pumpkin), seeded, cut into 1" chunks and peeled

1 tbsp olive oil

6 slices smoky bacon, chopped

1 medium onion

Water or stock, as needed

1 cup cream or milk

salt and pepper

pinch nutmeg

About 2 Tbsp crème fraiche or sour cream (optional)

About 2 Tbsp chopped chives (optional)

Heat the oven to 400ºF/200ºC. Toss the squash chunks with the oil in a roasting pan, and bake until very soft, about an hour. Fry the bacon in a soup pot, remove to paper towel to drain, then crumble and set aside. In the same pot, with a spoonful of the bacon fat left in, gently sauté the onion until translucent.

When the squash chunks are cooked, add them to the pot with a little water or stock. Purée with a hand-held blender, adding more water if needed to make a thick soup. Stir in the cream, heat gently, taste, and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Ladle the soup into bowls. Put a dollop of sour cream in each, sprinkle with the bacon and chives, grind over a little black pepper, and serve.