Menu

Hashimoto's DX-what to expect?

Dmmetler

My allergist had my bloodworm done for Hashimoto's due to severe chronic hives that were largely non-responsive to allergy meds and a family history of thyroid and thyroid symptoms. Apparently chronic hives are a less common, but not unknown, Hashimoto's symptom. My GP had been saying my thyroid was borderline and that I was just heading into perimenopause. The bloodwork definitely shows signs of Hashimoto's and possibly other immune system dysfunction as well.

It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get in to see the immunologist. I'm wondering what I can expect from this point?

My allergist had my bloodworm done for Hashimoto's due to severe chronic hives that were largely non-responsive to allergy meds and a family history of thyroid and thyroid symptoms. Apparently chronic hives are a less common, but not unknown, Hashimoto's symptom. My GP had been saying my thyroid was borderline and that I was just heading into perimenopause. The bloodwork definitely shows signs of Hashimoto's and possibly other immune system dysfunction as well.

It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get in to see the immunologist. I'm wondering what I can expect from this point?

You need to really educate yourself, not only about Hash's but also about thyroid. The bad news is that doctors tend to do a really bad job of treating both, so it's going to be your job to know what needs to be done, and to advocate for yourself until it happens.

If you do Facebook, join the Hashimoto's 411 page. Check out Stop the Thyroid Madness.

These are the labs you need:

Lab%20work.jpg

You need the Thryoid Basics if nothing else.

When you get the results for your thyroid levels (and you don't want Total T3 or anything else; you want just the ones on the chart), your Free T3 needs to be in the upper fourth of your lab's ranges; Free T4 in the upper half; TSH in the lower fourth. Your levels need to be *optimal,* not "normal."

You will probably need thyroid meds. Stop the Thyroid Madness will help you understand why you want a natural desiccated thyroid such as NatureThroid or Armour instead of a synthetic such as Synthroid.

Many Hashi's people are helped by following the Autoimmune Protocol. You'll find information about that on the Hashimoto's 411 FB page.

• Like 2