Menu

Vegetarian Casserole Recipe needed

Are you looking for a side or main dish.

Two super simple and yummy veggie dishes are.

Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions (optional) rice and cheese bake.

We also loved baked ziti topped with pasta sauce, and a few cheeses. I sneak cottage cheese in and spinach all the time. Spinach lasagna is also easy, but not a true casserole.

How about this one

Mexican Corn Casserole

1 package of mush or cooked polenta

Bean Dip or refried beans with taco sauce

Frozen corn

Taco Sauce or Salsa

Taco or Mexican blend shredded cheese

Crumbled corn tortillas

Spray casserole dish with vegetable spray.

Layer in order given. I break up the polenta/corn mush with my fingers and just leave it crumbled in the bottom of the dish.

Spread the bean dip generously over the mush.

Sprinkle frozen corn over top of the bean dip.

Pour taco sauce or salsa over the corn.

Cover with cheese and then the crumbled corn chips.

Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or until it's bubbly on the sides.

I sometimes serve it with sour cream - like I need more calories.

I do a layered leftovers but it has egg and dairy. Basically, I take left over lentils or beans (big beans I mash a bit) and season them as desired (I usually fold in some sauteed onions), some brown rice I might cook in broth, two or three kinds of lightly cooked veggies (seasoned as desired) and layer them, with a layer of cheese in the middle, possibly. You can do it on a left over curry theme, or a lasagna theme, etc. Don't pack tight. I always top with brown rice and then pour over egg beaten up with spices, pour over and top with cheese.

My favourite, from the bottom up, is something like layer of brown rice cooked in broth, layer of squash lightly steamed and seasoned with oregano, layer of lentils with onions sauteed in olive oil seasoned with sage (earthy tasting!), a layer of mozz cheese, a layer of carrots or leftover potatoes, a layer of lentil, then a thin one of really soft extra onions, then brown rice, topped with Jack cheese and a pouring in of as many eggs to reach the bottom beaten up with a splash of tabasco and some powdered adobo (from Penzey's). (Oh, nostalgia...haven't made since marrying a vegan, but my ex, who was picky about food just loved this).

You can put a layer of ricotta or squeezed cottage cheese, too. A good way to use up dribs and drabs in your fridge.

I don't think so. It's for a man at my church who just lost his mother. I believe the mom and dad were SDA and so I assume it just needs to be vegetarian. I wasn't given any further instructions.

I'd say dairy is probably okay. SDA potlucks are veggie, but many, many members are not. Around here, about half, with some of them not eating pork or shellfish. Many use meat replacers.

If you google

SDA recipes

there are a gaggle of sites.

Pasta Bake

Summery pasta bake - ideal for making use of seasonal

herbs and vegetables.

Ingredients:

10 oz (300 g) chickpeas

2 tablespoons tomato passata

1½ lb (700 g) summer vegetables, such as carrots, fresh broad beans, fresh peas, sweetcorn, tomatoes, etc.

9 oz (250 g) pasta shapes (such as pasta twists, shells, etc.)

1 onion

2 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons fresh herbs such as basil, oregano,

parsley, roughly chopped

Salt and freshly-ground black pepper

Method:

1. Blend the chickpeas with 3 tablespoons water, to form a smooth paste. Add the tomato passata, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

2. Prepare the vegetables. Cut the carrots into matchsticks, and cut up the tomatoes. Half fill a small pan with water and bring it to the boil. Add the fresh broad beans and/or peas and cook until they are just tender, about 7 mins. Drain and set aside.

3. Meanwhile, heat a large pan of water, and cook the pasta according to the directions on the packet. Drain and set aside.

4. Thinly slice the onion. Heat the in a large frying pan, add the onion and cook over a low heat until golden brown. Add the carrots and stir fry over a high heat for 3 minutes, then add the other vegetables. Add 2 tablespoons water, reduce heat, and cover with a lid. Cook until all the vegetables are tender.

5. Add the pasta, chopped herbs and chick pea paste to the frying pan, and mix with the vegetables. Season to taste.

6. Spoon into a shallow, ovenproof dish, drizzle with olive oil, and cook in the oven at 200°C (Gas Mark 6, 400°F) for 20 – 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

I'd say dairy is probably okay. SDA potlucks are veggie, but many, many members are not. Around here, about half, with some of them not eating pork or shellfish. Many use meat replacers.

If you google

SDA recipes

there are a gaggle of sites.

Many SDA's are lacto-ovo vegetarians, so they'd eat dairy. Some or vegan, but I'd guess you're safe with dairy. Most SDAs don't eat pork. It's not a REQUIREMENT of the church, just the health message they have.

How about Tatertot Casserole?

1 bag (size depends on how much you want to make) tatertots

Sour Cream

Shredded Cheese

Chopped Yellow onion to taste. Tastes good if sautee'd but doesn't have to be.

I use a canned veggie meat called Fri Chik, chopped up. You can find meat substitutes--canned and frozen at many Walmarts and other stores in the health food section.

Throw all ingredients into large bowl and stir together. Put in casserole dish and bake at ~325 degrees until bubbly and somewhat browned.

It's very simple and doesn't take long, but tastes delicious!

One of our favorites:

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

1 medium spaghetti squash (3 lbs)

2 T vegetable oil

1 C onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

3/4 C chopped mushrooms

1 1/2 C chopped tomatoes

1 tsp basil leaves

1/2 tsp oregano

1 C cottage cheese

1/2 C shredded mozzarella

1/4 C chopped parsley

1/4 C seasoned dry bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375. Spray or rub 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking dish with vegetable spray or oil. Cut squash lengthwise in half, scoop out seeds. Place two halves, cut side down, in dish. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Cool slightly. Remove squash strands with fork and place in a large bowl. Reserve shells. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, basil and oregano. Cook uncovered until most of liquid is gone. Stir vegetable mixture into squash strings in bowl. Stir in cottage cheese, mozzarella and parsley. Divide between two shells, sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake uncovered 35 minutes or until bread crumbs are brown.

[/indent][/indent]Lorna, do you make or buy your passata?

What brand/recipe?

Thanks

I generally sieve a can of peeled plum tomatoes, chop and use the tomatoes as one of the veg and then use the sieved juices as the passata. Otherwise I would be buying a whole bottle of passata for just a couple of spoons full. I hope this helps.

The brand I use is a supermarket own brand in England...:D