Menu

Anyone else have a child take the new SAT?  I'm really surprised at my DD's scores, they are a lot lower than expected compared to her older ACT scores.  I'm wondering if this is a common with the new test, or if it is something else?  She did not prep for this sitting (has never prepped before for standardized tests), as it was required as part of her yearly testing.  We will definitely be looking for some prep work for the new test, and maybe have her take the ACT again as well.

The new SAT started in March 2016.

My oldest took in June 2016. My youngest took in November 2016 and June 2017. Their 2016 SAT scores tallied quite well with their ACT scores (2015 for older, 2016 for younger) according to the concordance table by CollegeBoard in below link https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/higher-ed-brief-sat-concordance.pdf

Edited by Arcadia

At least a few selective schools reported separate middle 50% scores for New and Old SATs, and the New ones were similar to, or lower than, the Old ones.  There is some question about the accuracy - perhaps quality would be a better term - of the concordance tables and whether selective colleges are actually using them.

I have also seen speculation that the New SAT may be "easier" in the middle percentile ranges but harder in the very high ranges that would be relevant to selective colleges.

Arcadia, how much time passed in between your kids' ACT and SAT tests where the scores did correlate per the College Board's concordance tables?

ETA, it is probably just my imagination, but reading a few individual SAT discussions over at CC, it seems as though there may be a good deal of variability in difficulty between different administrations of the New SAT.

Edited by wapiti

Arcadia, how much time passed in between your kids' ACT and SAT tests where the scores did correlate per the College Board's concordance tables?

For my older boy,

ACT was October 2015, SAT was June 2016, so 8 months

98th percentile approximately

For younger boy,

ACT was June 2016, SAT was November 2016, so 5 months.

88th percentile approximately

Edited by Arcadia

For my older boy,

ACT was October 2015, SAT was June 2016, so 8 months

98th percentile approximately

For younger boy,

ACT was June 2016, SAT was November 2016, so 5 months.

88th percentile approximately

But off topic, but you're here, so I might as well ask, did your kids complete the essay? We're still on the fence with that.

But off topic, but you're here, so I might as well ask, did your kids complete the essay? We're still on the fence with that.

Nope. This was the dry run just to get their baseline scores. They will do the SAT with essay when they are in 11th grade.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Arcadia, are you saying that the percentiles reported were also identical between the tests (I am assuming they are not talent-search percentiles)?  Or were there slight differences?  Thinking out loud, I imagine you might expect some growth over time, and that's why I wondered how much time occurred in between.

DD's PSAT scores were a little lower than her ACT would have suggested, but not crazy out of line. (PSAT last Nov, ACT this Apr)

ETA:  With charts Arcadia posted in the post following this one, her total PSAT % is 2% lower than her composite ACT %. With the concordance tables posted in her first post in this thread, there is a bigger gap (2 pts on the ACT/60 pts on the PSAT). Some of the difference could be attributed to growth, FWIW.

Edited by RootAnn

Arcadia, are you saying that the percentiles reported were also identical between the tests (I am assuming they are not talent-search percentiles)? Or were there slight differences? Thinking out loud, I imagine you might expect some growth over time, and that's why I wondered how much time occurred in between.

My oldest SAT and ACT percentiles are actually 1 percentile difference so not identical but very close.

Younger is 2 percentile difference so again not identical but very close.

I am using this ACT chart http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/Multiple_Choice_STEM_Ranks2016.pdf

and this SAT chart page 6 https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/understanding-sat-scores-2016.pdf

My oldest did not prep for both. My youngest did light prep because of his "slow speed" issue. No prep for timed tests would be torture for my younger. I wasn't expecting growth actually. My husband and I didn't know what to expect for SAT and ACT so our kids were basically "guinea pigs" for us.

ETA:

Actually I put the percentile down to show that weirdly the concordance table was close both for my higher percentile kid and my normal percentile kid. It was in response to your comment

"... speculation that the New SAT may be "easier" in the middle percentile ranges but harder in the very high ranges that would be relevant to selective colleges."

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

ETA, it is probably just my imagination, but reading a few individual SAT discussions over at CC, it seems as though there may be a good deal of variability in difficulty between different administrations of the New SAT.

It seems that way. My younger boy managed to finish this time round last Saturday while he didn't finish any section in November. He didn't do any English curriculum this year and math was light. He also didn't have any timed test between the two SAT test dates. He did the same amount of test prep both times. We'll see how it reflects in terms of scores when we get his score report by mail probably in end July. It was a good confidence booster none the less as this is the first time he finished a timed test, especially the reading comprehension section.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Younger did very well for the June SAT (2nd time), better than older did for last year's June SAT (1st time). It seems my boys are lucky on the June test dates. His composite score (without essay) went up 250 points. I'm surprised he pulled through >700 for ERW.

• Like 1