Menu

Science Summer Camp

I'm curious if any of you have done summer camps at Universities and if you have, did you find them worthwhile?

Someone mentioned Missouri S&T and in looking at the website I see a Nuclear Engineering Camp that involves some science curricula, tours of facilities, discussion of careers, etc for high school juniors and seniors. I can't find much in specifics, reviews, etc. other than what little they state in their brochure. I'm not even sure what I expect them to say. We live in Alaska so this would double as a college tour and a first chance to leave our home state (Alaska)alone. So it could be a good opportunity but I do wish I could hear from parents who have done it or at least something similar.

My Ds has done a few in the summers between 10-12

Engineering institute at University of Vermont (this was the best one)- selective application process for out of state students

Smart Grid at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (they have several others, exploring engineering, architecture, aerospace)- selective application process

Career Explorations at Cornell (lots of different concentrations to choose from)- everyone accepted

They were great. Well run, good mix of academic & social activities ( academics & tours during the day, fun social stuff at night like water fights, ice cream parties, group games, "fun" speakers like a science magic show guy).

They really helped him get excited about college & get motivated to do well in high school.

He is waiting to hear back about one for this summer- Gen cyber security camp at Norwich in Vt

Rochester Institute of Technology offers a 2 day thing for rising seniors, not really science camp, more career explorations.

There's one in Maine for paper engineering.

Those were all I could find close to us, we're in upstate NY.

But lots of other places offered them, they are usually pricey for the ones where they live on campus for the week, unless grant funded.

Some were too easy academically for him, so we kept looking.

(The most tippy top selective ones are often free, I found)

• Like 1

DD#1 has done the math contest camp at Southwest Baptist U (SBU) several summers. It is reasonably priced as long as you are within driving distance and not selective. They differentiate some by a placement test on the first night. She isn't interested in going to school there, but she's loved the kids & the camp.

• Like 1

I went to a marine biology camp as a kid - it was fun, but convinced me that I didn't want to be a marine biologist. :-) I spent 2 summers working as a counselor at a summer science camp while in college, and we had a lot of repeat campers and younger siblings, so I assume that they enjoyed it.

I went to a marine biology camp as a kid - it was fun, but convinced me that I didn't want to be a marine biologist. :-) I spent 2 summers working as a counselor at a summer science camp while in college, and we had a lot of repeat campers and younger siblings, so I assume that they enjoyed it.

Well, that counts for learning something. Better to figure it out then than after years of college right? :)

Thanks for the insights everybody. Since we live far away he will pretty much have to fly and pay for lodging and everything which is expensive so I'd like to hear that it is worthwhile first. He will probably pay for it himself and kids his age don't make much but we have airline miles and can help with transport there or any extra costs or pay a percentage but it would be nice if something were in driving distance. There isn't too many choices in Alaska though.

I'll check out some of the others too.  Thanks.

My daughter went to a week-long general engineering camp at S&T and she loved it. It was very helpful in giving her some direction on what she wanted to study and a taste of dorm life. I'm guessing the nuclear camp would be great too, but I'm not sure how pleasant Missouri's summer heat and humidity would be for an Alaskan. A fall visit might be nice.  ;) Also, S&T isn't close to a major airport, so that could make for an expensive flight.

• Like 1

Are you near Anchorage or Matsu? There are the week-long Summer Engineering Academies at UAA for high schoolers. We've done some of these in the past and they were excellent. Not glamorous, but they are closer and just $100 each.

https://www.uaa.alaska.edu/academics/college-of-engineering/community/summer-academies/index.cshtml

I thought Something similar was offered st the Fairbanks campus too?

• Like 1

AK Mom 4    Thanks for the heads up. I've looked at the UAF ones but not as closely at the UAA ones but considering the price tag I will look again! For some reason in the past there was nothing I saw that was in his area of interest but it  has been a long time, it seemed like mostly structural but now I see the robotics which may be of interest. 

Mrs. W- So appreciate the insights on the specific camp too. Alaska Air does fly to St. Louis Lambert and we can use miles. The school website says there is a USA Express shuttle from the St. Lois Lambert  to the campus. Am I missing something? 

AK Mom 4    Thanks for the heads up. I've looked at the UAF ones but not as closely at the UAA ones but considering the price tag I will look again! For some reason in the past there was nothing I saw that was in his area of interest but it  has been a long time, it seemed like mostly structural but now I see the robotics which may be of interest. 

Mrs. W- So appreciate the insights on the specific camp too. Alaska Air does fly to St. Louis Lambert and we can use miles. The school website says there is a USA Express shuttle from the St. Lois Lambert  to the campus. Am I missing something? 

Oh, sorry, I don't know why I said expensive flight. I just meant it could complicate travel. I didn't know they have a shuttle -- that makes it a lot easier!

• Like 1

Just a heads up, applications are usually due pretty early in the winter or spring for these summer programs.

Ds had a few due in Feb, iirc. So, looking now & making a list of when apps are due for next year is a good idea.

Yep, DS applied last December.

My dd has been to an engineering camp at John Brown University in Arkansas. She loved it and is going again this summer. Last year's focus was biomedical engineering. This year it is robotics. My dd is in an FTC robotics team so an area of interest for her. I would definitely recommend it. One of the moms there last year was comparing the JBU camp to Missouri S&T and thought the JBU one was better because of the smaller number of students to instructors.