Menu

Portable AC

Scarlett

Has anyone used one of these? Or something similar.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/portable-ac-12-000-btu/prod5880055.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

If so how well did it work and what kind of climate was it used in. And other circumstances.....for instance we will use it in our loft bedroom of our house that has central AC already...loft just doesn't get good AC air flow so we need something additional.

It requires a vent to go outside which will require a hole in the house....but the other option is a hole cut big enough for a regular 'window' AC.

• Like 1

It looks very similar to the kind me dd has her in house.  one, they vented through the chimney.  not sure about  the other one.  not even sure which room she used it in . . probably her bedroom.

they seemed to work fine- it was definitely better than nothing. 

she still wants to do a full hvac system, but didn't have the money

temperate pnw climate.  hottest temps tended to be in the 90s, with highest overnight lows in the 60s.  older, poorly insulated house.

• Like 1

It looks very similar to the kind me dd has her in house. one, they vented through the chimney. not sure about the other one. not even sure which room she used it in . . probably her bedroom.

they seemed to work fine- it was definitely better than nothing.

she still wants to do a full hvac system, but didn't have the money

temperate pnw climate. hottest temps tended to be in the 90s, with highest overnight lows in the 60s. older, poorly insulated house.

Thank you....we are in hot humid OK. Often near 100 and only cools down to about 80 at night. But we have AC in the rest of the house.....so that might make it possible for the portable AC to cool it enough.

My parents use one of these in their bedroom and they love it!  They have a cape cod style house and their bedroom is on the second floor.  There is minimal insulation in the roof and their central air conditioner is not strong enough to keep the 2nd floor cool.  My mom turns it on a hour or two before they go to bed and it brings the room temperature down from about 80 to 72 or so.  (It could get cooler, but she doesn't like it that cool).  They used to use one of those ac units that goes in the window, but it was getting too heavy for my dad to lift ... the portable one is on wheels and they just keep it in the closet when they don't use it.  They vent it out the window.  They only negative for them is there is a water pan that has to be emptied and its a bit heavy to lift and carry to the bathroom.  

• Like 1

My parents use one of these in their bedroom and they love it! They have a cape cod style house and their bedroom is on the second floor. There is minimal insulation in the roof and their central air conditioner is not strong enough to keep the 2nd floor cool. My mom turns it on a hour or two before they go to bed and it brings the room temperature down from about 80 to 72 or so. (It could get cooler, but she doesn't like it that cool). They used to use one of those ac units that goes in the window, but it was getting too heavy for my dad to lift ... the portable one is on wheels and they just keep it in the closet when they don't use it. They vent it out the window. They only negative for them is there is a water pan that has to be emptied and its a bit heavy to lift and carry to the bathroom.

Thank you. That sounds like a similar situation to what we have. There is a door upstairs that goes to a balcony. Ds could empty the water there. He is young and steong.

I'm in HOT, humid north Texas. We have used one of these in our upstairs bonus room over the garage with mixed results.

It seemed to increase the humidity a lot which gave everything a rather clammy feel. It is, however, better than nothing. That room had to be used as a bedroom that summer and this little portable unit really did make it bearable. We vented it out the window.

We have one and I am so glad we have it.  It is somewhat loud, definitely louder than a window unit, but not terrible.  (I notice it much more because it has to compete with the t.v. a bit since our living room is the hottest room in our almost 140-year old home.  Ours is "Shinco" brand--which I can mainly find on Overstock now--I think it's "Global Air" or something equally generic now. LOL)  Sound is the only negative factor, IMO, when you're living without A/C!

We are thinking of getting another one, too.  Probably this one or the Shinco:  https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/LG-LP1015WNR-10-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-Refurbished/10340646/product.html

We have one and I am so glad we have it. It is somewhat loud, definitely louder than a window unit, but not terrible. (I notice it much more because it has to compete with the t.v. a bit since our living room is the hottest room in our almost 140-year old home. Ours is "Shinco" brand--which I can mainly find on Overstock now--I think it's "Global Air" or something equally generic now. LOL) Sound is the only negative factor, IMO, when you're living without A/C!

We are thinking of getting another one, too. Probably this one or the Shinco: https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/LG-LP1015WNR-10-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-Refurbished/10340646/product.html

Thank you. Does yours have the vent that has to go outside?

FYI the one at SAMs

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/portable-ac-12-000-btu/prod5880055.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1.

Is bigger than the one you linked for a little less money.

We have one and I am so glad we have it. It is somewhat loud, definitely louder than a window unit, but not terrible. (I notice it much more because it has to compete with the t.v. a bit since our living room is the hottest room in our almost 140-year old home. Ours is "Shinco" brand--which I can mainly find on Overstock now--I think it's "Global Air" or something equally generic now. LOL) Sound is the only negative factor, IMO, when you're living without A/C!

We are thinking of getting another one, too. Probably this one or the Shinco: https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/LG-LP1015WNR-10-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-Refurbished/10340646/product.html

Oh and the noise is not an issue since it will only be while ds sleep.

It's nice as an auxilary AC to help on a higher floor or to cool a small room. A window unit will always be cheaper and work better, but if you have weird windows or window ACs aren't allowed, it's MUCH better than no AC. It does cool and dry the space noticeably.