Menu

Anne with an E

KaceeM

That entire story arc doesn't need to happen. The adaptation is not made better by it at all. Anne finds a stable home and then sacrifices her ambitions to help the person who helped her. Being in a home with a suicidal person isn't stable, no matter how noble their reasoning may be.

Agree. In the book they lost their money because a bank failed, not because Matthew made a dodgy investment and then compounded it by mortgaging the farm.

The love interest thing was so annoying to me. Matthew was so pathologically shy he almost couldn't talk to any women besides Marilla, Anne & Rachel.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 2

I don't recall this.

Before she starts Queens, so roughly 4 years after she comes to Green Gables she is described as tall and elegant. Rachel Lynde compares her favorably to Ruby Gillis and Diana Berry by likening them to showy colorful flowers and Anne to a June lily. Several times she's described as someone some people find beautiful and others find plain. Her beauty seems to be associated with her personality and depth of intellect and imagination.

Definatly before then, but I can't pin it down.

I seem to remember her looking in a mirrow describing herself in a way that was revealing.

I do think her personality was a factor, but I don't just think that - she seems to have had a nice oval shaped face, she was graceful with a nice figure and clear skin, pretty eyes and nose, and very good hair even if an unfashionable colour. 

That's just a nice-looking person.  Lots of young women with a figure like that are kind of skinny and knobby as tweens and teens.  And, I guess the other thing is, I don't think Avonlea was necessarily very imaginative in it's standards of beauty.  They seemed to think they liked things a little plain, and on the wholesome side.

Definatly before then, but I can't pin it down.

I seem to remember her looking in a mirrow describing herself in a way that was revealing.

I do think her personality was a factor, but I don't just think that - she seems to have had a nice oval shaped face, she was graceful with a nice figure and clear skin, pretty eyes and nose, and very good hair even if an unfashionable colour.

That's just a nice-looking person. Lots of young women with a figure like that are kind of skinny and knobby as tweens and teens. And, I guess the other thing is, I don't think Avonlea was necessarily very imaginative in it's standards of beauty. They seemed to think they liked things a little plain, and on the wholesome side.

What you are describing is towards the end of Anne if Green Gables and in Anne of Avonlea. Her freckles don't fade until towards the end of the first book. That is 4 years after she came to Green Gables. She comments that her nose is her one saving feature. For first couple of years she is there, her plainness is underscored again and again. She was known as the smart girl, not the pretty girl until later in the books and even then, her relative beauty was a topic of some debate.

Skinny and freckled were not in vogue with the Avonlea provincial set.

Edited by LucyStoner

What you are describing is towards the end of Anne if Green Gables and in Anne of Avonlea. Her freckles don't fade until towards the end of the first book. That is 4 years after she came to Green Gables. She comments that her nose is her one saving feature. For first couple of years she is there, her plainness is underscored again and again. She was known as the smart girl, not the pretty girl until later in the books and even then, her relative beauty was a topic of some debate.

Skinny and freckled were not in vogue with the Avonlea provincial set.

The mirror incident - there are other places she's described in an attractive way.

The bolded was my point.  Being in vogue isn't the same as being a nice looking or even beautiful.

Those characteristics were not new things, and they describe a nice looking person, pretty much in any period.   Even accounting for the tween gawky thing.

She wasn't fashionably attractive according to Avonlea standards, and probably Maritime Victorian standards, and didn't feel that way herself.   

think that was somewhat LMM's point, she was a little more exotic than they were used to, but they came round to seeing it.

Edited by Bluegoat