Menu

Anne with an E

KaceeM

Has anyone watched this on Netflix yet?? I just started and love it so far. It will probably be my escape this mothers day weekend (horrid mother situation). The books are some of my favorites, I'm on my second set since the original sale I was given as a child was loved very hard and now sits in my memory box. The show is a Netflix original and seems very well done so far.

• Like 3

I've read reviews and refuse to watch it.  The book was perfect.  Leave it the way it was!  I don't think it's right to be able to take someone else's writing and twist and turn it that way.  Write your own book then and leave Anne alone.

Stepping off the soapbox now.

• Like 6

I've read reviews and refuse to watch it.  The book was perfect.  Leave it the way it was!  I don't think it's right to be able to take someone else's writing and twist and turn it that way.  Write your own book then and leave Anne alone.

I feel the same way about so many adaptations.  BBC ruined Miss Marple with that adaptation they did about 10yrs ago with Geradiine McEwan.  And don't get me started on the new Sherlock.  Yeah, they're okay, but they're not Sherlock.  Please call them something else.  

• Like 1

Upthread, when none of us had seen it and there weren't many reviews out, I said I thought there was some room for exploration into the references (in the book) to the seamier side of Anne's existence prior to her arrival at Green Gables.

Now that I've read this review from Vanity Fair, I won't be watching. Not so much because of the bleakness (although Anne was meant to possess almost supernatural hope), but because of the changing of the storylines too much. I won't go into it, because of spoilers, but it's all in this link:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/05/anne-of-green-gables-netflix-review-anne-with-an-e-bleak-sad-wrong

• Like 1

I watched the first episode after swearing I wasn't going to watch and was surprised how much I liked it. I don't care for some of the storyline changes and attempts to flesh out what the books only implied, but I think they got the characters right. I still love this Anne.

• Like 4

if they wrote their own - they'd have to get their own audience.  by using characters which are known and beloved - they have a ready audience.

• Like 1

Upthread, when none of us had seen it and there weren't many reviews out, I said I thought there was some room for exploration into the references (in the book) to the seamier side of Anne's existence prior to her arrival at Green Gables.

Now that I've read this review from Vanity Fair, I won't be watching. Not so much because of the bleakness (although Anne was meant to possess almost supernatural hope), but because of the changing of the storylines too much. I won't go into it, because of spoilers, but it's all in this link:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/05/anne-of-green-gables-netflix-review-anne-with-an-e-bleak-sad-wrong

That was a helpful article.  I appreciated this quote:

She retains some of Anne’s eccentricities—a fierce imagination and intricate fantasy life, as well as a fondness for high-flown language—but those tics, in this context, come off as mildly deranged. This is an Anne with PTSD.  

Couldn't help chuckling with that last bit though.

Ewww - just read the VF article. Not the story in the least. The bit about Matthew? Ridiculous!!! I don't understand why they wouldn't just call this something else and change the names? It's not Anne of Green Gables at all. Call it That Orphan Girl (who's name is Emily) and then you can do whatever you want with the storyline without people getting mad.

• Like 3

Yeah, I didn't laugh at Anne with PTSD. She should have had it.

Word Nerd, I was prepared to love this Anne, too...Megan F. was amazing, and so far nothing replaces (or even comes close to) the Sullivan films, but she was not quite the Anne of the book, to me. Not tall, or homely, or slightly bewitching upon a second glance.

• Like 3

There was a stage play of Anne with a randomly made up mortgaged farm story that the last episode is reminding me of. I don't like this departure from the books.

I have to suspend all disbelief to buy that a woman like Marilla would send 13 year old Anne in the company of the hired boy to auction and pawn all her worldly possessions.

Edited by LucyStoner

Watching the series right now and, um, it bears no resemblance to the Anne of Green Gables I know and love! This is...dark...and very little of the dialogue matches up. Poor Anne seems more pitiful instead of the amusing/sympathy-inducing character of the books. Such a shame because my oldest loves Anne but she definitely will not relate to this version at all.

It is well done and I think if this were a totally different setting and not trying to piggyback off of Anne of Green Gables I'd like it for myself, though I'd never let the kids watch it either way.

The cliff hanger ending is very cable TV.

I liked parts of it, but on the whole it's just too much. I don't mind "grittier" but the changes I have the biggest issue with come off more as cheap than gritty.

The parts that people were the most concerned about on the last thread- namely Anne's knowledge of the birds and the bees were nothing compared to the added "plot twists".

Everybody caught up on the Vanity Fair spoilers? If not, close your eyes and scroll....

I've been thinking all day about their killing off John Blythe just so Anne and Gilbert could have something in common (being orphans). Oh, wait. Where was Mrs. Blythe, then? Anyway. Robbing Anne and Gilbert of their cerebral attraction is unforgivable. Gilbert: "A cute girl is a cute girl." WHAT.

Step away from the story, Mrs. Breaking Bad. You are not qualified to handle it.

• Like 3

I'm mid-episode 3. The "pet mouse" thing is even worse than shown in the clip.

Episode two was just obnoxious. I'll avoid spoilers but it was completely out of character for Marilla.

I despise the opening credit song. Despise isn't a strong enough word. Loathe?

But I do love casting for Anne, Marilla and Matthew so far.

I'm mid-episode 3. The "pet mouse" thing is even worse than shown in the clip.

Episode two was just obnoxious. I'll avoid spoilers but it was completely out of character for Marilla.

I despise the opening credit song. Despise isn't a strong enough word. Loathe?

But I do love casting for Anne, Marilla and Matthew so far.

The pet mouse thing is wholly inconsequential compared to the mess that is episodes 5-7. Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Here is a review from The New Yorker.  I tend to agree.

And I think she gets at what bothered me about even the initial episode.  It's not that it was offensive or grown up, but it seemed like the writer just didn't get the book and lacked any subtlty.

most of what comes out of hollywood lacks subtlety

one reason UK comedies are usually better.

• Like 3

I'm only on the first episode (keep getting interrupted!), but so far it's interesting. Certainly Anne would have experienced traumatic things in her past at the asylum and prior homes. The books present a wholly romanticized version of an orphan child in that day and time. I love the books and the other miniseries, but that miniseries also further "prettied up" the books down to Anne not being homely. I don't think this Anne qualifies as homely either, but she is more of an interestingly awkward 13 year old.

I'm only on the first episode (keep getting interrupted!), but so far it's interesting. Certainly Anne would have experienced traumatic things in her past at the asylum and prior homes. The books present a wholly romanticized version of an orphan child in that day and time. I love the books and the other miniseries, but that miniseries also further "prettied up" the books down to Anne not being homely. I don't think this Anne qualifies as homely either, but she is more of an interestingly awkward 13 year old.

I always wondered if Anne was really homely, or the adults just thought she must be because she wasn't fashionably attractive.

• Like 4

I always wondered if Anne was really homely, or the adults just thought she must be because she wasn't fashionably attractive.

THIS -- red hair and freckles would never be considered beautiful during that time frame.  

I don't think she was truly homely -- or second glance, her appearance wouldn't change much to the beholder.  

If she isn't homely, then that's another romanticized aspect... here's an orphan who happens to be brilliant AND stunningly attractive. ;)

Edited by zoobie

If she isn't homely, then that's another romanticized aspect... here's an orphan who happens to be brilliant AND stunningly attractive. ;)

Well, they are romantic novels, in the true sense.  And there is truth in romanticism. I don't think making an adaptation that doesn't respect that they are romantic is really possible, nor desirable.  It's be like a retelling of a gothic horror without any of the trappings of either.  Write another story, because it's a different one.

Anne is meant to be an appealing character,  she is really smart and attractive, and kind and creative and sensitive, and a great mother, and she marries a husband who loves her and has a good marriage. 

I think it's telling that as she grows up, everyone comes around to her being rather lovely, while Diana becomes dumpy and even a little plain.

ETA: Anne is described as a nice looking girl within a year or two of arriving at Green Gables.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 2

It's sad that the public reaction to Anne's stories about sex mirror Avonlea's.

I don't actually object to the stuff they added on that front. I thought adding her getting her period for example was a positive part of the adaptation.

A poor money manager and suicidal Matthew though? Ugh. I can't overlook how wrong that is in the context of the story.

• Like 1

ETA: Anne is described as a nice looking girl within a year or two of arriving at Green Gables.

I don't recall this.

Before she starts Queens, so roughly 4 years after she comes to Green Gables she is described as tall and elegant. Rachel Lynde compares her favorably to Ruby Gillis and Diana Berry by likening them to showy colorful flowers and Anne to a June lily. Several times she's described as someone some people find beautiful and others find plain. Her beauty seems to be associated with her personality and depth of intellect and imagination.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

In regards to Matthew I think it's reminiscent of his character, it seemed as if it wasn't that he wanted die but he wanted to see Anne and Marilla taken care of. And as for his "love interest" shes little more than a friend he cared for when they were school children.

• Like 1

In regards to Matthew I think it's reminiscent of his character, it seemed as if it wasn't that he wanted die but he wanted to see Anne and Marilla taken care of. And as for his "love interest" shes little more than a friend he cared for when they were school children.

That entire story arc doesn't need to happen. The adaptation is not made better by it at all. Anne finds a stable home and then sacrifices her ambitions to help the person who helped her. Being in a home with a suicidal person isn't stable, no matter how noble their reasoning may be.

I expected to hate it due to all the reviews and articles I've read. But I was happy enough with it.

I never read the books until I was an adult so the Megan Fellows version was my real basis to love the story. It was and it my absolute favorite movie of all time.

So, though I did enjoy the actual books when I finally read them, I can give a screen adaption a lot of leeway. There are a few things that had me really rolling my eyes at the impossibility but it seems designed to be an ongoing show with many seasons, so I can see them veering off course just to feel like they have enough story to go around.

I like the casting of the characters - well except one. I find some of the word choices and topics of conversation unbelievable at times, but I can tolerate that. And I also love the friendship between Rachel and Marilla -- it feels quite authentic. In fact I really like Marilla's character overall.

I am glad I gave it a try.

Oh and to the beginning intro song - horrid! This isn't a 1960s show!