Menu

Dr. appointment with possible FAS child - questions

AnthemLights

So we have been fostering for a year now.  Our foster kiddo is almost 4 and ever since we have had him, I have thought something was different...that he wasn't your typical child.  At first I chalked it up to neglect and possibly abuse. Our doctor had some concerns but thought we should just wait and see.  After half a year with no measurable improvement we did some testing through our local Child Development Center and then through the school.  Both agreed that he was cognitively delayed by about 2 years.  The school was the first to bring up the possibility of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.  That was about 2 weeks ago.  I've been reading up on FAS online and it definitely seems to fit....can't grasp abstract thoughts, hasn't been able to learn colors or shapes, speech echolalia when he gets stressed or if you ask him something that he doesn't know, which is pretty much everything learning related, poor child.    :sad:   He also severely lacks impulse control.  

In the meantime, our doctor moved.  I have an appointment with a new clinic tomorrow.  Kind of a well-child check up, but I want to bring up my fears of FAS.  BTW, I talked to his bio mom...she denies drinking during pregnancy, but her grandmother confirmed that she indeed did.

So what exactly should I ask? Doctor is just a general practitioner.  Should I ask for a referral to a pediatric doctor?  To a neurologist?  What kind of testing, if any, should I ask for? Is there even a test that can definitively show FAS?  

I want to think long term here.  His bio mom has disappeared and we are probably going to be looking at getting legal guardianship of him.  

Any help or advice would be muchly appreciated.

Also thoughts and prayers as we work through all this.  It's been really hard, especially so since we also have some attachment issues going on.  

To my understanding there are physical markers for FAS. So the doctors would look for those and take various measurements. My dd, whose birth mother did drink, has some markers, but not enough for a diagnosis. You might ask the doctor if there is a university near you who collects research on drug or alchohol exposed children. Where we are they have an eight year program that follows the child throughout. They can come for testing and diagnosis by a PT, OT, SLP and pediatrician. All for free.

• Like 2

You are right, Jennifer, about the physical markers.  I've been studying pictures online and he doesn't have any.  At least none that I can see.   I should have said partial FAS or Fetal Alcohol Affect.  My apologies. 

That 8-year program sounds amazing.  I doubt we have anything like that around here.  Too rural.

Some children's hospitals have fetal alcohol clinics. Kids can miss having the facial features but still have a lot of the learning issues.

If you can't find an FAS clinic I would see about a neuropsychologist or developmental pediatrician. Your foster care worker should be able to help.

• Like 1

In utero substance exposure leads to development delays. Trauma leads to poor brain wiring. The good thing about brain wiring is that it can be improved with lots of therapy etc.

One of my twins could not grasp the concept of colours until he was 5 1/2. They are years delayed in all areas, though the gap is slowly getting less.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

Another resource for you could be an international adoption clinic in your area. I realize your foster child is not from overseas, but the clinics do help families by identifying the facial markers (which can be absent) and have some expertise on the subject.  At the very least they may be able to point you in the right direction of who to see locally.

• Like 1