Menu

Has anyone used The Good and Beautiful?

mamakelly

I looked at all the downloadable levels and it's certainly appealing! It's laid out nicely and what I've seen is well done. I haven't seen levels 5 and 7 and that's what I'd need for my older boys. I looked at level 2 for my daughter and although I think she'd enjoy parts of it (especially the art!) the fact that all of the LA subjects are combined is a negative for me. She's reading at about a 4th-6th grade level so she doesn't need the phonics in level 2, but her spelling is right on grade level and her writing is about the same - so I don't want to bump her up to level 3. 

The other thing that makes me wonder is whether trying to cover too many subjects in one course is a good idea. Reading, writing, grammar, art, geography, spelling -- is everything being covered at sufficient depth? 

I've seen a few posts about it, but it's hard to search for! I'm going to use it next year. Definitely use the placement test on the site. My kids all placed at a level below their grade, which I think is normal.

I think I'm also going to order the Nature Notebooks. They look great!!!

• Like 1

The other thing that makes me wonder is whether trying to cover too many subjects in one course is a good idea. Reading, writing, grammar, art, geography, spelling -- is everything being covered at sufficient depth? 

I think this is a valid concern. I have not used it yet, but my plan is to be flexible - take rabbit trails when we want to, skip a lesson if we want to, etc. And at lower levels, I think it's OK to cover some things superficially.

I looked at all the downloadable levels and it's certainly appealing! It's laid out nicely and what I've seen is well done. I haven't seen levels 5 and 7 and that's what I'd need for my older boys. I looked at level 2 for my daughter and although I think she'd enjoy parts of it (especially the art!) the fact that all of the LA subjects are combined is a negative for me. She's reading at about a 4th-6th grade level so she doesn't need the phonics in level 2, but her spelling is right on grade level and her writing is about the same - so I don't want to bump her up to level 3.

Not needing the phonics in level 2 wouldn't be a problem imo. Just approach it like it's spelling, and don't buy the reader.

Level 5 is being revised and won't be out til next month. The newly revised level 7 just came out.

This. I looked at the program and ultimately decided to do ELTL instead. Though I liked the thoroughness of G & B, a few things stood out to me.

1. We wouldn't use all components. Paring it down to what we would use made it comparable to ELTL

2. Level 3 gets a lot more preachy about what a "good" book is, and the emphasis is not on the quality of writing but the values written about.

3. The geography wouldn't work for us. Level 2 & 3 have the exact same introduction to geography, making it redundant, and I cannot with a straight face read that Pangea happened because of the Tower of Babel. Not once, and certainly not twice.

By editing heavily we could make it work. I'd really rather not, though.

• Like 1

I was looking at the grade 7 set.  I really don't like that she uses a reader instead of classic literature especially at that level.  Love the idea of what she is doing.

We are using ELTL this year.  It is similar.

Still looking for the perfect LA...

The strictest adherents of G&B are very all about her booklist, to the exclusion of everything else. It's a real problem in my estimation because I see so many people just choosing a product, rather than figuring out their own values and ideals, and rolling with it. Not just G&B. Some Pathways readers and McGuffey people do it too. CLE reading proudly states that they don't include any fairy tale/imaginary nonsense, which makes me: :001_rolleyes:

Instructions at all levels do, however, include daily reading of your choice.

Edited by OKBud

Scroll down to Level 7-9 (this is for history Year 1)

http://www.jennyphillips.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Student-Explorers_Samples_Year-1.pdf

Here's Level 7 for Language Arts:

http://www.jennyphillips.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/SAMPLE-PAGES_Level-7-Course-book.pdf

Does anyone know when History Year 2 comes out if you can start there instead if Year 1? Does it matter if you go out of sequence?

Thanks!!

Wow level 7, all the levels are the homeschooling curriculum I personally have been dreaming of for the entire time I've been at this.

Too bad my son is too old..

My dd could use level 7 next year BUT she's my extrovert and does so much better with outside classes. Even an online program is better for her than bookwork with me grading. :( as much as I'd love to use this for her I know the hours spent quietly studying would be so depressing for her :(

Too bad we can't go back in time. Even the font, colors, spacing and pictures are exactly what I love. So pleasing to the eye.

Scroll down to Level 7-9 (this is for history Year 1)

http://www.jennyphillips.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Student-Explorers_Samples_Year-1.pdf

Here's Level 7 for Language Arts:

http://www.jennyphillips.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/SAMPLE-PAGES_Level-7-Course-book.pdf

Does anyone know when History Year 2 comes out if you can start there instead if Year 1? Does it matter if you go out of sequence?

It comes out in June and all levels are a broad overview, with pitstops in different places each run-through.

I have spent hours looking over this curriculum. It's really lovely! Thank you for sharing it. I ordered the level 7 LA for my son just now & Im considering Year 2 History as well. This is totally and completely not at all what I was planning, but it looks so good! I wasn't even tweaking anything in my mind while reading it!

I've seen a few posts about it, but it's hard to search for! I'm going to use it next year. Definitely use the placement test on the site. My kids all placed at a level below their grade, which I think is normal.

I think I'm also going to order the Nature Notebooks. They look great!!!

I want the Nature Notebooks, too!

I've purchased the language arts for levels 7, 4, and 2 and they look fantastic. I'm still a bit concerned about it being too preachy or LDS teaching seeping through, but it certainly looks like a great change from what we've been doing. We'll see if we start it come August! ðŸ˜