Menu

8th grade: Something like SL, only just for history and WAY less intense

Something for history that has:

Real literature

Workbooks or easy to use TM with assignments (not hard to use, overwhelming teacher's guide)

But way less books- perhaps 8 or 9 for the whole year

Just for history, not literature?

Beautiful Feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'd look into Heart of Dakota, My Father's World, Ambleside Online, Beautiful Feet.    I don't know that they will have exactly what you are looking for, but might be more easily adaptable than SL.

You could always use a book list from SL or one of these other vendors and pick 8 or 9 books, then just read them chronologically without following a strict schedule.   Set a pace that's comfortable for you and your kids - like 1 chapter per day, or 40 pages per week, etc.   Then make a simple log to chart your progress.    We did this with Readers the year I put together a full year of literature-based state history, and it worked well.  I had a stack of books and assigned my kids 1 chapter per day.   It was easy for them to remember and easy for me to keep documentation for our records.

• Like 2

Thanks guys,

I kind of want something with work and accountability involved, so something pre-planned with the worksheets or TM is a great idea.  I had completely forgotten about BF so I will check that out.

I am kind of tossing around the idea of doing a co-op, but I really really am afraid of getting a bunch of kids that don't do their work...and I can only think of two kids out of the 12 7-8th graders we know in our homeschool area that actually do their work.   :mellow:

Thanks guys,

I kind of want something with work and accountability involved, so something pre-planned with the worksheets or TM is a great idea.  I had completely forgotten about BF so I will check that out.

Memoria Press or CHOLL, or both.

We're loving Heart of Dakota! ;) We tried SL a couple times, but it always ended up to be too much, and a lot of work on my end to make it fit us. With HOD, there's a guidebook that schedules everything out in manageable size pieces. If you only want history, or literature, or whatever, just do the parts you like, and leave the rest. They schedule all subjects, but you can easily just do the parts you like. They are more CM in style, incorporating living books, various types of narrations (oral and written), audio/visual components, history projects (if you want them), and wonderful book choices. The guides from about 5th grade and up have beautiful full-color notebooking pages, that make lovely keepsakes over time. :)