Menu

Walmart gift card balance

Night Elf

I found an old Walmart gift card in an old wallet. In it was a coupon that expired in 2010 so the gift card might be that old. It was a $15 card. I checked the balance online and it's $10 even. That seems strange. Do you suppose that for some reason over time, the money has gone or have we really only used an even $5 so far?

I think laws vary from state to state. Ours changed the law about 10 years ago because retailers were taking down the balances of cards that weren't being used. You might want to check with the Attorney General's office in your state to see what the laws are. Then again, you may have used it. But it's an odd exact amount for a purchase, unless you live where there is no sales tax?

Sometimes you can see what was purchased with a gift card. Not sure if you can view gift card history that far back.

One possibility is you used it online for something that either was $5 even or you did a split payment and paid the remainder with your walmart gift card. Maybe the split payment was between two gift cards.

The site where you checked the balance should show the terms and conditions of the card.   There are cards that have a service fee deducted if held for a certain period of time.

Or, is food taxed where you are?  Maybe you used it to buy $5 worth of food. Or $5 worth of gas?  (That's hardly any gas though.)  My state doesn't add tax to clothing or OTC medicine.  I could see lots of ways a purchase could be $5 even here. 

The site where you checked the balance should show the terms and conditions of the card.   There are cards that have a service fee deducted if held for a certain period of time.

Or, is food taxed where you are?  Maybe you used it to buy $5 worth of food. Or $5 worth of gas?  (That's hardly any gas though.)  My state doesn't add tax to clothing or OTC medicine.  I could see lots of ways a purchase could be $5 even here. 

It varies. I've seen food taxed at 3% but DH said some things are not taxed at all.

This gift card belongs to my youngest dd. If it was truly from 2010, she was only 12. I'm just guessing the year because she has a coupon for a girls clothing store in the wallet next to the gift card.

In most states gift cards can lose their value if held unused for over a year.   The issuer is often allowed a service fee as they have to account (hold funds) for the card.  It is also another way for businesses to make money on gift cards-- a pretty good percent of them go unused!

You would have to check the terms of service for that card from 2010.