Menu

What do resumes look like these days?

hjffkj

I haven't written a resume in at least 10 years and while looking up current examples they look a bit different than what I learned.  So for anyone who has lots of experience writing and also picking good resumes can you help me out?  Maybe thinks to good formats for a resume.  The position is Fitness Coordinator at a university if that matters in regards to format.  

I have only seen internships resumes recently as my husband was doing some of the interviews and the format was relevant experience followed by academics/qualifications followed by character references. My husband's resume about three years ago when he applied for his current job was all work experiences followed by a one liner about academic qualifications.

His company's HR highlighted key words in the resumes. So if you can put whatever relevant job experience (volunteer or paid positions doesn't matter) first, that might help make the first cut through HR.

• Like 1

It's hard to go wrong with a template and tweaking from there.

But there are so many different formats now and new sections, like a summary or objective. I was just taken aback once I started looking up current resumes. I haven't written one in ten years and dh never had to.

But there are so many different formats now and new sections, like a summary or objective. I was just taken aback once I started looking up current resumes. I haven't written one in ten years and dh never had to.

Well you need to decide whether to make your resume chronological or topical. In your case sticking with topical might be best, where you're listing relevant experience and skills more than work history. But honestly beginning with a basic template in your word processing software is step one, and deciding the type of work to list and where to place emphasis is step two.

Don't get too bogged down in anything fancy or just delete the irrelevant sections. Simple and memorable is best. A nice color scheme and layout can go a long way, for example, in making you stick out in a pile. Don't go all "Legally Blonde 2" and go with scented pink stationary or anything, but keep it attention grabbing and clean all at once.

Edited by Arctic Mama

DH has been hiring interns and he tells me some resumes list hobbies. He's not keen on that one unless hobby is something extremely unusual so best to leave off I think.

I laughed at that one. I saw it o. Some sample resumes and just thought, "why waste the space?"

Well you need to decide whether to make your resume chronological or topical. In your case sticking with topical might be best, where you're listing relevant experience and skills more than work history. But honestly beginning with a basic template in your word processing software is step one, and deciding the type of work to list and where to place emphasis is step two.

Don't get too bogged down in anything fancy or just delete the irrelevant sections. Simple and memorable is best. A nice color scheme and layout can go a long way, for example, in making you stick out in a pile. Don't go all "Legally Blonde 2" and go with scented pink stationary or anything, but keep it attention grabbing and clean all at once.

It is dh's resume I'm helping him with. I knew the Hive could help as well. We're going chronological.

DH has been hiring interns and he tells me some resumes list hobbies. He's not keen on that one unless hobby is something extremely unusual so best to leave off I think.

In law school I listed hobbies that involved volunteer work; the volunteer positions, not the hobby itself, were the point. It did make a talking point of curiosity in at least one interview for an externship.

Once I had something better to put on, I dropped it.

With periods of unemployment due to having other important things to do, a resume that focuses on experience rather than timeline can be useful. I.e., put the most relevant things first.

How to format depends on industry. In some, "scanner friendly" is important, as are keywords; in others a more traditional approach is called for.

A recently published book on the topic, or an industry-specific blog or magazine article with pointers, can be good resources.

• Like 3

Check out Susan Whitcomb's resume magic. You can PM me with an email address and I can send you what I have as an attachment.

I tried to attach it to a PM but the "file was too big," according to the error message.

ETA: I just double checked. I have "Interview Magic" by Susan Britton Whitcomb but NOT resume magic. Once you get the super duper resume out, let me know if you need the "Interview Magic."  :laugh:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1