Menu

Moving in the middle of orthodontia treatment

Ethel Mertz

We had to do this.  OUr insurance which wasn't much had already paid out its share of orthodontics treatment.  My dd had two sets of orthodontic treatments.  FIrst one was two years and free since we were overseas and military dentists did that.  Then she needed a second course (which we already knew she would need= very, very bad teeth).  The second course was the one with two dentists.  Fortunately, she finished with the second dentist before we had to move again. We were paying in installments and continued to pay with the second dentist and pay and pay.

Moving during orthodontics is now one of my nightmares. Oldest ds finally got his braces off a couple of weeks ago after three years of treatment in three countries. They came off four days before he moved again to a new country - there was no way I was dealing with another move. But middle ds wasn't so traumatic. After he moved to a different country, we had to go to a couple of different orthodontists to find one that didn't want to take off the original braces and everything went smoothly.

The insurance wasn't a problem. It was a bit of a hassle to sort out payments with everyone but it all worked out. The most important thing was finding a flexible orthodontist who didn't require us to start over.

I asked about it before DS got his braces because at the time, we were facing the possibility of a job transfer for DH.   The orthodontist told me that they usually estimate the percentage of completion and would transfer the remaining percentage of what we had paid upfront to the new orthodontist.   Fortunately, the job transfer didn't happen, so we never had to live out the reality, which I assumed would be a bit messier than what I was told.