Menu

Saxon Math users, do you use 5/4, 6/5 series or the Intermediate series and why?

I am moving my DD from ABEKA 3 to Saxon 6/5 next year.  I looked up all the differences and it seems that Intermediate is made for people who have never used Saxon before.  However, we have a friend who let us borrow 6/5 to check it out and my DD thought it looked just fine....that she could handle it without more hand holding.  So we just went with 6/5.  

I would closely look at samples and see what you think would work best for your child.  What level will you be coming in on? 

Probably 6/5.  I have been looking at samples, videos, and placement tests.  I have read that 6/5 and Intermediate 5 are similar, but I have also read that Intermediate 5 and 5/4 cover the same material.  It is very confusing!  When I used it a good number of years ago, only the hardcover books were available, not the ones with the yellow covers.  The Intermediate Series had yet to be published.  I am inclined to "go with what I know", but this particular child needs a solid, incremental program with lots of review, all things I know that Saxon has.

• Like 1

We're using the Saxon Math Homeschool versions of 5/4, 6/5, 7/6, etc...  I've not used the Intermediate Series, so can't speak to that from experience.  When looking at them online, it seemed to me that the Intermediate Series had more moving parts to each day's lesson.  I could be wrong, but that's what I remembered thinking.   I looked on CBD (ChristianBookDistributors), and they had a pdf of the differences of these two series of math books.  I'll link it here: https://g.christianbook.com/g/home_page/Intermediate_5465_Saxon.pdf Hope it's okay to link that here....if not please delete. 

We use Saxon a little differently than most, in that we use Saxon Teacher cd's *and* the Art Reed dvds.  We liked the format of TT, but the actual curriculum wasn't a good fit for my younger kids, so we've been doing this combo with great success.  The kids view the Saxon Teacher lesson, which mirrors their book, but on the computer, and then view the Art Reed lesson.  Both are fairly short, and really help the kids to stay engaged in the lesson with good understanding.  Then they move on to completing the lesson in the book.  The kids are enjoying this audio/visual approach and it seems to be working to help them be successful in their math learning. 

Best wishes! :)

We're using the Saxon Math Homeschool versions of 5/4, 6/5, 7/6, etc...  I've not used the Intermediate Series, so can't speak to that from experience.  When looking at them online, it seemed to me that the Intermediate Series had more moving parts to each day's lesson.  I could be wrong, but that's what I remembered thinking.   I looked on CBD (ChristianBookDistributors), and they had a pdf of the differences of these two series of math books.  I'll link it here: https://g.christianbook.com/g/home_page/Intermediate_5465_Saxon.pdf Hope it's okay to link that here....if not please delete. 

We use Saxon a little differently than most, in that we use Saxon Teacher cd's *and* the Art Reed dvds.  We liked the format of TT, but the actual curriculum wasn't a good fit for my younger kids, so we've been doing this combo with great success.  The kids view the Saxon Teacher lesson, which mirrors their book, but on the computer, and then view the Art Reed lesson.  Both are fairly short, and really help the kids to stay engaged in the lesson with good understanding.  Then they move on to completing the lesson in the book.  The kids are enjoying this audio/visual approach and it seems to be working to help them be successful in their math learning. 

I have read this and watched the video.  I have read all reviews and the Cathy Duffy site.  I was hoping to get responses from someone that has either used both or actually looked at both and chose one over the other.  The samples are woefully inadequate to make a $100+ decision (if I get all components).

I do appreciate the info on the DVD sets.  I haven't looked at either of them.  Do you have links for those specific ones so that I can look at them?  Thank you!

Edited by PentecostalMom

I have read this and watched the video.  I have read all reviews and the Cathy Duffy site.  I was hoping to get responses from someone that has either used both or actually looked at both and chose one over the other.  The samples are woefully inadequate to make a $100+ decision (if I get all components).

I do appreciate the info on the DVD sets.  I haven't looked at either of them.  Do you have links for those specific ones so that I cna look at them?  Thank you!

Sure, here's the link to the Saxon Teacher for 6/5 (since you mentioned looking into getting that level...):

https://www.christianbook.com/saxon-teacher-math-third-edition-rom/9781602773882/pd/773681?event=ESRCG

The Art Reed dvd's are called Mastering Algebra John Saxon's Way, and they begin with level 7/6: https://www.christianbook.com/mastering-algebra-saxons-math-4th-edition/9780979252112/pd/257003?product_redirect=1&Ntt=art%20reed%207/6&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCG

I'm sorry I couldn't give you better info on the Intermediate series.  I agree that the samples are lacking, and it's hard to get a good idea of what it would be like.  I did look them over myself, when making the decision, but I didn't linger on the idea of using them as I mentioned earlier, it just seemed like more moving parts to cover each day.  I hoped that math could be more independent for my children, thus the move to the cd/dvd combo.  Best wishes! :)

The older the better. Seriously.

My preference

1st edition 54 and 65

2nd edition 76, algebra 1/2, 1, 2.

These were all used at about the same time. Books were not all revised at the same time. Saxon Algebra 1 3rd edition came out long before calculus 2nd edition. Even Algebra 1 4th edition came out while calculus 1st was still being used, but Algebra 4th was not an integrated book and not part of the regular series written by Saxon himself.

Saxon stuff I like. Hake not so much. Saxon had more input in Hake's early editions.

• Like 1

The intermediate books I "think" are the classroom version.

There are fewer lessons but cover the same material. I moved a child to them because they have more visual examples. I also bought the workbook that has hints and planned out space to work each problem. My kiddo was NOT ready for the soft skill of copying the problem to a notebook and then working the problem. The workbook helps to cut down that step. The warmup book makes the daily review manageable. Now it happens daily. Overall I have been happy. I see success that I was not seeing with the older grade 3 program. I plan to use grade 4 when she finishes grade 3. We learn two lessons a day and work the problems to the second lesson and are no longer doing math at 3 pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have 5/4 and 6/5 and the intermediate 3, 4, and 5. And Course 1. They are very similar. Even most of the written practice is identical. What tipped me to using the intermediate series is several things. The layout is much cleaner. And that is really helpful for my young son. Secondly the intermediate series has introduced problem solving at the beginning of the lesson. This was something that Saxon lacked for me, which made me prefer Singapore Math. I think it is a great addition to the Saxon program. But I also think that if a parent prefers the older books and doesn't like that part they could just cross it out. Likewise with the power ups and investigations. But frankly I think they are worth doing SWB recommends Friday be more of a real life math day. The Investigations cover this.

Lastly the intermediate series has Adaptions workbooks and written practice books. These have been essential of my young son who detests writing. These are consumable books which allow him to do all his work in the book. This saves him time transferring problems and making mistakes.

The only reason I would go with 5/4, 6/7 etc would be IF it were a cost issue and I really needed to save money. Otherwise I recommend the Intermediate series with all that they have added.

Edited by Korrale
  • Like 1

I have 5/4 and 6/5 and the intermediate 3, 4, and 5. And Course 1. They are very similar. Even most of the written practice is identical. What tipped me to using the intermediate series is several things. The layout is much cleaner. And that is really helpful for my young son. Secondly the intermediate series has introduced problem solving at the beginning of the lesson. This was something that Saxon lacked for me, which made me prefer Singapore Math. I think it is a great addition to the Saxon program. But I also think that if a parent prefers the older books and doesn't like that part they could just cross it out. Likewise with the power ups and investigations. But frankly I think they are worth doing SWB recommends Friday be more of a real life math day. The Investigations cover this.

Lastly the intermediate series has Adaptions workbooks and written practice books. These have been essential of my young son who detests writing. These are consumable books which allow him to do all his work in the book. This saves him time transferring problems and making mistakes.

The only reason I would go with 5/4, 6/7 etc would be IF it were a cost issue and I really needed to save money. Otherwise I recommend the Intermediate series with all that they have added.

Can you tell me which Intermediate Level corresponds with which standard level?  By your own estimation?  I have read that 5/4 is the same as Intermediate 4 and then I have read that is is the equivalent to Intermediate 5.  The skimpy samples I can find do not help me make an adequate judgment.  Thanks for all of the info, it is greatly appreciated!

I agree that the Intermediate has more parts.  I don't think that would go very well with this particular child.  She needs something she can follow with ease and not go from book to book.

Intermediate 4 is almost exactly the same as 4/5 except there a few more problem solving questions and an Early Finishers problem at the end of some lessons that are interesting.

Intermediate 5 is 5/6

Course 1 is 6/7

You can google Saxon intermediate 4 PDF and online copies of the book that schools have made available to their students will show up on the search page if you want to see what the book looks like. I prefer the intermediate series because they sell a workbook with all the practice problems. There isn't space to solve all the longer computation problems in the book but many of the problems can be directly solved and the answer written in the book. I didn't think my son was ready to copy out the problems so any problems where he needed more space I would write out the problem for him on a separate piece of paper. It would take me 2 minutes. He would then write the answer in the practice books it made it easier for me to correct. I liked being able to have all his work organized in the practice book. We also used the power up book to reinforce math facts.

• Like 1

Intermediate 4 is almost exactly the same as 4/5 except there a few more problem solving questions and an Early Finishers problem at the end of some lessons that are interesting.

Intermediate 5 is 5/6

Course 1 is 6/7

You can google Saxon intermediate 4 PDF and online copies of the book that schools have made available to their students will show up on the search page if you want to see what the book looks like. I prefer the intermediate series because they sell a workbook with all the practice problems. There isn't space to solve all the longer computation problems in the book but many of the problems can be directly solved and the answer written in the book. I didn't think my son was ready to copy out the problems so any problems where he needed more space I would write out the problem for him on a separate piece of paper. It would take me 2 minutes. He would then write the answer in the practice books it made it easier for me to correct. I liked being able to have all his work organized in the practice book. We also used the power up book to reinforce math facts.

The child using this will be fine with the writing. I found some grid pages from Saxon that has room for 30 problems.  One set just has squares, the other has graph paper lines.  We are trying out both this week to see which she likes better.  I am partial to the graph paper pages because it forces her to be neater.  She is very creative and neatness is not of her concern, lol!  She just wants to get done and move on to taking photos, drawing, or horseback riding.  I have a Second Edition 5/4 set from years ago that she started on today, she was right on the edge of being ready for 6/5, but I think a solid foundation that fills in any possible gaps is more important than pushing her ahead.  I am still able and willing to switch, I just have yet to find a compelling reason to do so.  The books I have are all the older hardbacks, but they worked fine with some of my older kids.  This child is just a bit tricky for a number of reasons, and I want to be certain there isn't something superb about these newer books that would coerce me into buying.

• Like 1

Newer soft covers. Despite all the differing views about Saxon, my kids' math skills have become very solid. We are very happy with it. I do supplement with Zaccaro's Challenge Math Series to build up problem-solving skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dd used Intermediate 3 and 4 and then switched to 6/5. I used Int. 3 because I didn't like the scripted Saxon 3 homeschool version. We stuck with Int. 4 for the following year, then switched to 6/5 because I put her in a class and that's what they used. She had a good experience with all 3 books and the progression felt correct going from Int. 4 to 6/5.