Menu

Vocabulary from Classical Roots - Opinions please

mlktwins

I am heading to a small curriculum fair on Friday and am looking at vocabulary for 7th grade.  We have finished Worldly Wise through 6th grade.  So...I'm am looking at WW 7 or trying Vocab from Classical Roots.  If I do Vocab from Classical Roots, where should I start?

We started when my kid was younger, so I can't tell you where to start. The books don't seem to build on each other so much that you would need to complete all of the preceding ones for the current one to make sense. I find that one book takes us a semester. There are 16 or 18 lessons, so we do one each week. He prefers it to wordly wise.

• Like 1

We have done wordly wise (3-8), vocabulary from classic roots(4-6) and word roots(1) from Critical thinking company.

My daughter(7th grade) thinks she learns the most from Word Roots.  it requires more mental engagement and has a stronger focus on building the words so you tend to remember what the parts mean better.  VfCR didnt feel like enough to me. we completed  one per semester and I dont feel there was much retention, just not enough interaction with the material.  I see vocab as an independant subject, so if you wanted to spend some time in teaching and review and talking more about the worlds it would be a good place to work from, but check out Word Roots, do some of the exercises yourself to see which is more challenging. It is taking us a full year for level 1