Menu

Jean/Denim shorts for boys

mamaraby

This is apparently not a thing that exists in stores as I have gone to every store in town and all of the stores in the mall. It irritates me because I almost bought what would have been the correct size last fall at Target, but I didn't get them because of course he might not fit them this year and it was silly because he needed jeans.

He will not wear khaki shorts. He will not wear athletic shorts when not running or playing soccer. He will not wear twill shorts. He will only wear jeans shorts. But they cannot be distressed or have holes in them. Which was really the final straw because American Eagle sells jeans shorts for guys in a 26 which fit. But they were trendy and distressed. He looked like I was torturing him by making him wear them.

I have floated the idea of making shorts out of his jeans, but that did not go over well. At least he didn't look like he was being tortured.

So, jeans shorts for a tall, skinny boy. A slim or adjustable waist as he's not too keen on a belt if we're talking boys. A boys 16 or a men's 26. Does such a thing exist anymore?

ETA: Not to make it more challenging, but in the $30 range?

Edited by mamaraby

I was going to offer all the pairs my boys won't wear. (All my kids share my strange no-jeans preference. I think it is genetic because I tried my best not to pass it along and to get them used to wearing jeans early. When they started to get dressed on their own, they always leave the jeans & jean-shorts behind.) However, I don't have any in that big a size! 

• Like 1

I'm going to keep the Land's End ones in the back up options list. We have a Lands End Inlet about 45 mins away so if they have them there and he'd try them on that's an option.

I don't know if they carry denim, but JCPenney carries Arizona brand shorts and pants that come in a 26 waist.   

I feel your pain.   My DS is tall and skinny too.   He has just recently been able to start wearing a 28 waist in jeans/shorts/pants.

JcPenney's website had a few boys jean shorts, but selection was iffy because it looks like all jean shorts everywhere are clearanced. I'll have to check the men's 26, though. They closed our local store a few years ago, but the mall in the same town as our LE Inlet has one so I could always try there. I'm thinking trying them on would be helpful. Then he can make that pained look on his face when he tries them on and hates them. :p

I spent a lot of time last night saying "but that's fashionable now" and "I have no idea why it's like that. It's fashion."

Children's place goes up to boys 18 now, and carry true slims. Platos Closet is a thrift chain, but they have a men's section. Sizes vary by shop. Kohls, I thought, had jean shoes where I am.

Kohls had two options for jeans shorts for men (28 was the smallest size) and oodles of jean shorts for little boys, girls, and women, but no jean shorts for boys. I am not looking forward to next year since jean shorts are apparently no longer fashionable? Thrift stores are a good idea. Unlike jeans shorts shouldn't have the dreaded hole in the knee issue.

I was going to offer all the pairs my boys won't wear. (All my kids share my strange no-jeans preference. I think it is genetic because I tried my best not to pass it along and to get them used to wearing jeans early. When they started to get dressed on their own, they always leave the jeans & jean-shorts behind.) However, I don't have any in that big a size!

Awe, that would have been so sweet! :) You have an advantage in the shorts shopping game then because non-jeans shorts are the "in" thing.

• Like 1