Menu

Best on line ASL course for high schoolers?

My dd is  done with Latin!  She wants to take American Sign Language next year (11th grade).  We looked into the community college, but the only class is offered at a campus rather far away.  She was hoping to take it with a friend but it turns out the friend can't make the same class as her schedule will allow.  So now I'm thinking, why go through the rigamarole of getting her dual enrolled and doing all that driving, if she can just take an ASL class on line?  I looked at Gallaudet but it is college level and seems like it would be super intense.  

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

My daughter has really enjoyed and learned a lot in Mr Dally's ASL 1 class. He taught at Landry and is now on his own since they shut down. Next year he is teaching ASL 1 & ASL 2 through Bright Ideas Academy (link below) and on his own (link below). He is also teaching summer immersion classes in ASL this summer in 2 3-week sessions for 1.5 hours a day. However, his classes are Christian based (they use the bible to do some translations, etc.). We are not religious but my daughter doesn't mind as she just considers it another text source she is learning about in a class.

Here are the two links:

https://academy.brightideaspress.com/?s=ASL&post_type=product&type_aws=true

https://www.aslyoucando.com

I also know that Homeschoolconnections.com offers ASL too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by counselinggirl
  • Like 1

Here's what I posted the other day on another thread....

"We are having an incredible experience with ASL Academy, Ms. Marie.  She offers her classes through currclick.com.  In fact, she's currently offering a special rate for upcoming classes. 

DD started out with Ms Marie and ASL 101 a year ago and used Signing Naturally Units 1- 6 (student workbook and dvds).  DD took ASL 101 during the summer, and ASL 102 Fall 2017.  During this time, the class completed  units 1 - 6.    As part of the class, Ms Marie recommended that students practice a minimum of 30 minutes per day, watch/rewatch dvds, watch vocabulary videos Ms Marie recorded, complete assigned homework and participate in a weekly partner practice live on ooVoo - it's like skype.  The instruction, organization, feedback on assignments/tests, and overall guidance from Ms Marie has been outstanding. 

Our daughter loved both semesters so much that we researched local colleges over the holiday break to see which ones offered a degree in ASL.  We then reviewed college syllabi to see what other books, documentaries and references the colleges are using, and I went on a buying spree.  I bought a ton of non fiction books assigned to college students, and added these to our daily workload.  We also found a local ASL Club, and our daughter has performed a story and National Anthem at club meetings.   Our next step is to attend local deaf socials to increase DD's immersion into the culture. 

For this semester, our daughter is taking ASL 201 and using Signing Naturally Units 7-12 (student workbook and more dvds).  The class anticipates completing half of the book this semester and then finishing it up with ASL 202 this fall. Plus, during the full year of classes, we've had little, to no, problems with online connections.

The student workbooks have been tremendous guides to develop ASL grammar and syntax.   Oh, I almost forgot to mention that while researching colleges, I found out that several of the colleges use Signing Naturally as required books.  For me, this added further validation to Ms. Marie and her program.

Ms Marie has been instrumental in helping our daughter come to love ASL.  We plan to continue with Ms Marie until she stops offering classes.  At that time, we'll further our daughter's studies at a local college. We have nothing but positive comments regarding this experience, and plan to enroll our younger daughter for the summer ASL 101 class.  I highly recommend ASL Academy. "

• Like 2

I also found out that there is a youtube channel associated with this.  I have been working through the level one lessons and I'm really enjoying it.

I already have some (limited) previous knowledge of asl, so I don't know how easy this would be for someone who is just starting.

• Like 1

I just posted this very question last week If you want to search under my content.

So far the best course is offered through currclick and has online live classes plus a workbook and offers different levels of help depending on your needs.

Thank you.  My daughter liked that the first semester is this summer, taking a little bit off the workload for next year. I went ahead and signed her up and ordered the book.

The classes with live teachers are ideal and the currclick class this summer sounds great, but if there are other people reading this thread that want to know about the lifeprint option I thought I'd share our experience.

I used lifeprint with two of mine.  My daughter had already had local informal ASL classes, but my son had not. He did lifeprint for 2 years. I can't remember if he got through semester 3 or 4. He is in college now and works at an early education center for deaf and hard of hearing kids and loves it. He jumped into ASL 2 at the college and could have easily started with ASL 3.  BTW his college class uses the Signing Naturally books.

Getting live practice such as several people has mentioned is really important, but my son had very little of that in high school (other than at home and we are all slow and not fluent).  So if that is just not possible in your community, the preparation such as my son had prepares you to jump into Deaf culture and be able to communicate and then learn more.

In addition to interpreter programs another major to consider is Deaf education.

Getting live practice such as several people has mentioned is really important, but my son had very little of that in high school (other than at home and we are all slow and not fluent).  His high school work prepared him to jump into Deaf culture and be able to communicate.

• Like 1