Menu

NYU and Scholarships

The daughter of a good friend of mine got accepted at NYU's Tandon School of Engineering to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering. She went to PS, believes her ACT/SAT is in NYU's top 25th percentile, and received National Hispanic Recognition. She's had some work experience, was in a debate club and has tutored for over a year.

She'd love to go to NYU, but doesn't qualify for need-based scholarships to pay for it or can realistically pay their expected contribution.  Any ideas on what she might be able to do? She is looking at some scholarships but is overwhelmed and wishing to narrow down her efforts to where it would be most effective. I've suggested for her to call NYU's financial office, but I don't yet know much about the financial aspect of college applications.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks a lot,

Rosa

NYU is known for poor aid. Outside scholarships are going to be limited in amt and often are not renewable for all 4 yrs. It is too late for the large $$, well-known corporate type scholarships.

Unfortunately, the reality is that NYU is probably not an option unless the family takes on the debt. (a really bad idea from m perspective.)

• Like 2

There are some schools that offer a full tuition scholarship for National Hispanic recognition - I think one of the major Arizona universities is one of them...it is worth checking out the schools that offer great merit aid for National Hispanic. There is a discussion of that over at College Confidential.

• Like 1

NYU is known for poor aid. Outside scholarships are going to be limited in amt and often are not renewable for all 4 yrs. It is too late for the large $$, well-known corporate type scholarships.

Unfortunately, the reality is that NYU is probably not an option unless the family takes on the debt. (a really bad idea from m perspective.)

8FilltheHeart: Thanks a lot for your input. I also figured at this point, the options are limited. For future reference, what are the large, well-known corporate scholarships? how can I find out more about this? 

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot,

Rosa

OP -- you should direct your friend and her daughter to the college confidential boards.  There is lots of info there regarding scholarships - corporate or otherwise.  However, as others have indicated upthread, it is really very late in the game for them to be trying to look into this just now.  Typically, scholarship application deadlines are in the fall of the year prior to enrollment (not to mention deadlines for the college apps themselves).  Consequently, time is of the utmost essence now, and there may not be a whole lot left at this point.

They can start by looking for automatic merit scholarships on the college confidential boards to see if there are any with deadlines that have not already passed.  

The daughter of a good friend of mine got accepted at NYU's Tandon School of Engineering to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering. She went to PS, believes her ACT/SAT is in NYU's top 25th percentile, and received National Hispanic Recognition. She's had some work experience, was in a debate club and has tutored for over a year.

She'd love to go to NYU, but doesn't qualify for need-based scholarships to pay for it or can realistically pay their expected contribution.  Any ideas on what she might be able to do? She is looking at some scholarships but is overwhelmed and wishing to narrow down her efforts to where it would be most effective. I've suggested for her to call NYU's financial office, but I don't yet know much about the financial aspect of college applications.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks a lot,

Rosa

Did she apply to any other schools?  If not, then I'd consider several options, and work towards all of them with the hopes that at least one pans out -

• Look at lists of schools which are still taking applications, in case any are a viable financial option and a good match academically.  Hit this hard, now.
  • Consider going to a local cc or state school for a year then transferring (although that may put her out of the running for freshman scholarships - it's tricky - do the research).  She will want to consider an inexpensive school with transferable gen eds (which may not shorten her 4-5 years at engineering school, because of tight required classes and pre-reqs), vs. a school where she can take transferable engineering basics (so as to try to create a transferable freshman year).  A local cc or state university satellite might have a program which still has space and allows her to do a 2+2 kind of program.
  • Working for a year then attending a school with a reasonable sticker price and/or generous merit aid.  The advantage here is money in the bank, and starting out as a freshman at the school where she will finish.  The disadvantage is that it may be all too easy to get distracted and end up not going at all.

Thanks a lot for all the input, please keep it coming if any other thoughts pop up. I'm not yet well versed in the scholarship topic (maybe I should start as my dd is in 11th!). I also suspected that at this point the options are limited, but since my friend's daughter kindly asked for me to help her, I gladly agreed (and who would not agree or at least think twice before turning down a sweet request from a teen :)?).

She has been accepted to Texas A&M. I think NYC is attractive to her. I haven't check the stats, but I know A&M has some reasonably good engineering schools.

I will meet with her and talk about what I've learned.

Many thanks!!

Rosa