Menu

Is there such a thing as nontoxic sunscreen that is not white and not sticky?

Laurie4b

I've been looking through EWG recommendations and everything I've checked so far is either white or sticky according to Amazon reviews. I don't want any potentially carcinogenic ingredients since I'll use it every day on my hands.  Has anyone else found something you like? 

define non-toxic.  I am assuming you mean those that use a physical barrier as opposed to a chemical barrier? Because even a sunscreen that uses a physical barrier isn't 'chemical free' or edible.

a sunscreen that uses only a physical barrier that doesn't leave a white cast is difficult to find. Asian sunscreen is vastly better than the sunscreen made in the US and you might have better luck.  I buy them on Amazon.  Check out this blog, it is one I like a lot

http://www.snowwhiteandtheasianpear.com/2015/04/sunscreen-showdown-battle-of-3-physical.html

The one problem is that most of these sunscreens are what are referred to as 'commuter sunscreens' meaning they are for the face and they aren't sweat or water proof. They are meant to be used on a daily basis as you go about your business.  They come in tiny bottles and aren't really meant to hold up to a day at the pool or be used on a kid's whole body. But if you need it on your hands, they might be perfect!  I use biore or shisido sunscreen, but I am more likely to break out with physical sunscreen, so I use the chemical type.  And all sunscreens are either physical or chemical and they all use the same active ingredients.  It's just the carrier ingredients that change, and even then not by much.  So if you are using it on your hands on a daily basis, maybe just look for a standard 'baby' sunscreen. Those are generally physical.

But maybe do some investigation online? You want to google stuff like 'physical barrier sunscreen no white cast" and see what you get. 

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 1

define non-toxic.  I am assuming you mean those that use a physical barrier as opposed to a chemical barrier? Because even a sunscreen that uses a physical barrier isn't 'chemical free' or edible.

a sunscreen that uses only a physical barrier that doesn't leave a white cast is difficult to find. Asian sunscreen is vastly better than the sunscreen made in the US and you might have better luck.  I buy them on Amazon.  Check out this blog, it is one I like a lot

http://www.snowwhiteandtheasianpear.com/2015/04/sunscreen-showdown-battle-of-3-physical.html

The one problem is that most of these sunscreens are what are referred to as 'commuter sunscreens' meaning they are for the face and they aren't sweat or water proof. They are meant to be used on a daily basis as you go about your business.  They come in tiny bottles and aren't really meant to hold up to a day at the pool or be used on a kid's whole body. But if you need it on your hands, they might be perfect!  I use biore or shisido sunscreen, but I am more likely to break out with physical sunscreen, so I use the chemical type.  And all sunscreens are either physical or chemical and they all use the same active ingredients.  It's just the carrier ingredients that change, and even then not by much.  So if you are using it on your hands on a daily basis, maybe just look for a standard 'baby' sunscreen. Those are generally physical.

But maybe do some investigation online? You want to google stuff like 'physical barrier sunscreen no white cast" and see what you get. 

What I mean by nontoxic is no known carcinogens. 

I have tried Google, but became frustrated, so thought I would ask here as a shortcut. If not, I guess I will have to choose between white cast and sticky/greasy. (based on what I've found so far. Apparently zinc oxide can be formulated to as to be clear, but the ones I've found so far all had reviews that noted the product was greasy or sticky. I just want it for daily use on my hands because I can use clothing for the other parts of my body. I'll take a look at the Asian ones you suggested. Thanks!

research coconut oil for sunscreen.

If you are on a road crew and in the sun all day, it won't be effective.  You will need a commercial product. 

If you are going in and out side off an on, it has a SPF of about 8 all by itself.  Some people combine it with other things to make it a higher SPF.  

When you are looking at sunscreens, also research how long they are effective for.  My dermatologist doesn't recommend for +me+ to include sunscreen in my normal daily routine (not saying this applies to anyone else) unless I plan to be outside for an extended amount of time. And then only apply it just before the activity. I get dressed and ready for the day at 7am, drive 10 minutes to work and, then go home at night.  The amount of time in the sun, is minimal and a high SPF is not needed and a waste.  He also says if I want to go in the sun after work, my sunscreen from the morning will have worn off and not longer work anyways. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/Colorescience-Sunforgettable-Mineral-Sunscreen-Brush/dp/B00RM4QVS2/ref=lp_14608981011_1_10_s_it?s=luxury-beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1490825761&sr=1-10&th=1

I bought this years ago, and I love it to use on the spur of the moment. I keep it in my purse during the summer. I don't think I paid $57, but it was expensive. However, I still have it probably five years later. Not sure if it expires, I need to look into that.

Looks like it may expire after 3 years. Still a long time!

This stuff was great to put on my little kids quickly and easily. They have very fair skin and this powder/brush deal made it super easy to sunscreen their ears and neck especially. I did't use it for the beach or anything, just if we were at the park or outside for a few hours.

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/Colorescience-Sunforgettable-Mineral-Sunscreen-Brush/dp/B00RM4QVS2/ref=lp_14608981011_1_10_s_it?s=luxury-beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1490825761&sr=1-10&th=1

I bought this years ago, and I love it to use on the spur of the moment. I keep it in my purse during the summer. I don't think I paid $57, but it was expensive. However, I still have it probably five years later. Not sure if it expires, I need to look into that.

Looks like it may expire after 3 years. Still a long time!

This stuff was great to put on my little kids quickly and easily. They have very fair skin and this powder/brush deal made it super easy to sunscreen their ears and neck especially. I did't use it for the beach or anything, just if we were at the park or outside for a few hours.

That's what I was going to suggest or something like that.

I think there are others that are cheaper but that one would be super convenient for your hands.

My friend uses it on her girls on the part on their scalp.

• Like 1

research coconut oil for sunscreen.

If you are on a road crew and in the sun all day, it won't be effective.  You will need a commercial product. 

If you are going in and out side off an on, it has a SPF of about 8 all by itself.  Some people combine it with other things to make it a higher SPF.  

When you are looking at sunscreens, also research how long they are effective for.  My dermatologist doesn't recommend for +me+ to include sunscreen in my normal daily routine (not saying this applies to anyone else) unless I plan to be outside for an extended amount of time. And then only apply it just before the activity. I get dressed and ready for the day at 7am, drive 10 minutes to work and, then go home at night.  The amount of time in the sun, is minimal and a high SPF is not needed and a waste.  He also says if I want to go in the sun after work, my sunscreen from the morning will have worn off and not longer work anyways. 

The first study I looked at had olive oil and coconut oil both at SPF 8. Interesting! That may be enough for my needs.