Menu

Change for History etc for next year.

scoutingmom

We have used Ambleside Online for a few years and I have kids in years 6, 4, 3, and 1. The year 4 student has been struggling, and the year 3 student hasn't been enjoying this as much. We are way behind doing the year 1 readings. The year 6 student loves his history readings, but I can't picture him handling the year 7. I have been making a number of changes recently away from AO and CM

The 4 students above will be grade 9,7,4, and 2 this fall.

I have been looking at various options​ for history for the future. I am leaning towards doing history together (with age appropriate assignments etc) but not sure if that would include the high schooler. I am hoping for fairly open and go, probably chronological, interesting, and very inexpensive. This would be world history, preferably not TOO US based, with some room to add in Canadian History.

I was first contiplating the Good and Beautiful History.... It isn't exactly chronological. I am not totally sure on it but it looks like it has potential, but the cost of shipping along with the cost is just too much.

There is Story of the World, but I am just not convinced from the but we have read.

I own the yesterday's classics collection, the Geniveeve Foster books used in AO, Usborne encyclopedia of History, and there is stuff like Heritage Histories, but not open and go by any means... Yet I wonder if there is stuff I should use from what I have....

We tried Simply Charlotte Mason's Greek Module, but found the spine boring (I think they have updated since then) and I don't like the 3 years in ancients.

I tried looking at a few things. Mystery of History samples look interesting.... But I read there is stuff like stating dragons existed? I also need to figure out how to add Canadian history to it...

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We have used a variety of things over the years, including SOTW & MOH. 

There are no dragons in MOH, dinosaurs are mentioned in volume 1. The dating is YE in the first volume or 2 perhaps I'm not sure as I don't give it a lot of heed. MOH 1 & 2 are semi-weak for a high schooler, imho, & could even be weak for a 7th grader on their own. I do like the content, but I just find the lessons weak in that they are only 3-5 minutes on average with the occasional 12-15 minute lesson. Volume 3 is much deeper in content & the lessons so much richer. I don't own 4 but would presume it follows the same idea.

I think you have a beautiful range of children, but I also think that based on age/grades you will have a hard time putting them all into one programme without having to make alterations to some degree. I dunno, maybe not because maybe it's second nature to you but I have 2 who are only 30 months apart & find it difficult to put them together.. Mind you, it was easier at the younger age.. 

Something you might want to consider before moving forward is what you want out of a curriculum. 

Do you want it to be lit based?
Do you want it to be pre-scheduled like AO was?
Do you want it to be Christian based or can it be secular too?
What time period of history do you want to study?
Do all the children HAVE to be grouped into one, or are you willing to give some independence to the olders while you keep the youngers together?
Do you want something that will rely on the resources you already own are you open to new stuff?

I haven't read about dragons existing in MOH, but Apoligia had a discussion about dragons in their Flying Creatures. It's more a theory that He dragons were flying lizards, which did exist, and is an interesting concept. I like MOH, and I like Biblioplan, and I like using them together.

Something you might want to consider before moving forward is what you want out of a curriculum.

Do all the children HAVE to be grouped into one, or are you willing to give some independence to the olders while you keep the youngers together?

Do you want something that will rely on the resources you already own are you open to new stuff?

I really think our advice would be better with answers to these questions, I pretty much agree with everything kolamum said.

I might consider grouping my 7th and 9th grader together and my 4th and 2nd grade together. You could consider doing Beautiful Feet Ancients, Medieval, or Modern, with the two older ones and even in the Modern there would be room for Canadian history. All of those have downloadable guides so you can avoid shipping, along with utilizing the library and your own personal books because I'm guessing you'll have a lot of them already. If you do that you can choose a corresponding Ancients, Medieval, or Modern program for your 2nd and 4th to do together from Build Your Library, History Odyssey, Beautiful Feet, or Wayfarers, so then all would be in same time period but using age appropriate materials.

Just some ideas. Let us know more of your thoughts. If I were in your shoes, without knowing more about your family, I'd start by looking at Wayfarers or Beautiful Feet.

• Like 1

Doesn't necessarily need to be lit based.  I think I'd just prefer a main spine to read, and then suggestions for age appropriate additions...

Not exactly pre-scheduled.  But I would like it open to go, and a do the next thing type of thing.  Preferably with a bit of room in it.

I don't necessarily need it to be Christian based.   I do like the idea of fitting some of the bible stuff into the history, but it isn't necessary.  I wouldn't want something that is insulting to either side.   

I haven't determined the time period - everyone studied a different time period in AO.   My oldest just finished the Ancients, so might want the Middle Ages.  

I don't HAVE to have all the kids grouped together, but I'm tired of them all doing something different.  So would probably want the same time period for all of them.

I am open to inexpensive new stuff (including shipping).  I am open to using stuff I have, but need some sort of guide.  I don't want to try to figure it out on my own.

Wayfarers?

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/unit-studies-all-in-one-programs/all-in-one-programs/wayfarers-history-history-based-complete-curriculum

All your kids would be on the same time period. There's a spine for each of the three age groups and then book lists for your kids to read more about the time period. It is all scheduled out, with history three times a week, and includes way more than history in the schedule. Depends on how you feel about just using the parts you want.

Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 1

Have you considered Veritas Press? I never understood how it worked until I sat down with another VP mom at the convention. Basically there are 32 history cards per year, and the history cycle spans 5 school years. Each history card has a title on the front with a related image or artwork. On the back there is a brief description or summary of the topic and a list of resources for additional reading and study. There is also suggested literature to go along with the history study. You can read all of the suggestions or only a few - depending on how deep you feel like going. There is also a Teacher's Manual that includes comprehension questions and activities. These can be used at your discretion.

You can view their website to see the book choices. The site lists the first year of the history cycle as 2nd grade, but you could use for many age levels and just choose different resources. We'll be using the "2nd grade" history for 4th and 1st grade.

How's it going? Any thoughts on the process?

Thanks for asking... I think I missed some of the posts on here.

I am still pretty muddled on it and go around in circles.  I'm going to answer some of the questions above, and then try to get my muddled thoughts in order.

Have you checked out Diana Waring's History Revealed? You could use it with all the dc if you include the elementary activity book for the younger ones. The main text includes a choice of a multitude of activities & additional suggested readings for each unit.  The suggested readings include the recommended ages for the books. Maybe worth a look.

I really think our advice would be better with answers to these questions, I pretty much agree with everything kolamum said.

I might consider grouping my 7th and 9th grader together and my 4th and 2nd grade together. You could consider doing Beautiful Feet Ancients, Medieval, or Modern, with the two older ones and even in the Modern there would be room for Canadian history. All of those have downloadable guides so you can avoid shipping, along with utilizing the library and your own personal books because I'm guessing you'll have a lot of them already. If you do that you can choose a corresponding Ancients, Medieval, or Modern program for your 2nd and 4th to do together from Build Your Library, History Odyssey, Beautiful Feet, or Wayfarers, so then all would be in same time period but using age appropriate materials.

Just some ideas. Let us know more of your thoughts. If I were in your shoes, without knowing more about your family, I'd start by looking at Wayfarers or Beautiful Feet.

Not sure if I answered this part already or not...   I may be doing the 9th grader totally separate...  I am considering trying to make up a World History - World at War type thing.  There are a couple of great courses that I could use as a base available through the library (although the one that looks totally perfect is NOT available, sigh)...  as this is more along his interests.  I would get his Dad to help a lot with that (retired military who has his own interest).   If we go that route, I am thinking of the War History - pre-modern for grade 9, War History - modern for grade 10, Canadian History - grade 11, and then maybe a Personal Economics / Canadian Government course for grade 12 (but Social Studies isn't required here for grade 12....)

My 4th grade student and 7th grade student are actually working at about the same level on things right now.  It was partly because of the 7th grade student struggling that has helped prompt me to move away from AO (although that isn't the only reason.)  

I do know that for a family studies history to work well it has to have stuff done together but also have stuff done at each person's level...

About to double check Wayfarers and Beautiful Feet.  (I have done so much looking at stuff they are all mixed up...)

Ok, have done some looking.

Wayfarers - looks like it is an entire program (and a bit overwhelming) - but I only need history - I think I have the rest worked out.  It uses Story of the World for younger kids,  Grueber books for middles, and Diana Waring for olders.... so I'd have to buy 3 different programs - plus extra books?    

Beautiful Feet - looks like each grade is separate?  LOTS of American History to be replaced?

Have you considered Veritas Press? I never understood how it worked until I sat down with another VP mom at the convention. Basically there are 32 history cards per year, and the history cycle spans 5 school years. Each history card has a title on the front with a related image or artwork. On the back there is a brief description or summary of the topic and a list of resources for additional reading and study. There is also suggested literature to go along with the history study. You can read all of the suggestions or only a few - depending on how deep you feel like going. There is also a Teacher's Manual that includes comprehension questions and activities. These can be used at your discretion.

You can view their website to see the book choices. The site lists the first year of the history cycle as 2nd grade, but you could use for many age levels and just choose different resources. We'll be using the "2nd grade" history for 4th and 1st grade.

Ok, I am lost.  I see online courses.   I see some links for books for grades 1-6....

??

I'll admit.  Their website is horrible for explaining the "You teach" program.  "You teach" meaning you teach the materials at home without any online component.  I'll try to break it down for you. 

The history cycle is broken down into 5 years. There is a teacher's manual and set of history cards for each year.  Each year was written for a particular grade level, but all of the levels can be completed by anyone in grades 2-6 (give or take.) 

Year 1 : Old Testament and Ancient Egypt - written for 2nd grade - https://www.veritaspress.com/browse-by-subject/history/second-grade.html

Year 2 : New Testament, Greece, and Rome - written for 3rd grade - https://www.veritaspress.com/browse-by-subject/history/third-grade.html

Year 3 : Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation - written for 4th grade - https://www.veritaspress.com/browse-by-subject/history/fourth-grade.html

Year 4 : Explorers to 1815 - written for 5th grade - https://www.veritaspress.com/browse-by-subject/history/fifth-grade.html

Year 5 : 1815 to Present - written for 6th grade - https://www.veritaspress.com/browse-by-subject/history/sixth-grade.html

The guide (Teacher's Manual) has comprehension questions and suggested activities.  The most important piece is the history cards.  The cards have the recommended reading / resources on the back.  There are 32 cards per year, and each has a specific timeline event to study.  So, basically each week you choose the next history card.  You read the back, look at the art on the front, and choose from the recommended readings on the back. (Ex. read pp. x-y Streams of Civilization).  There is also the option of purchasing Scripted Lesson Plans from Veritas Press.  I chose to do this for our first year.  They schedule everything out for you including literature readings and workbook pages from the teacher's manual.  The lesson plans are not required, but I want something that's going to tell me what to do each day (for now).  I don't know if I'll get the lesson plans again next year.

VP gives me a starting point for each week of the year with a topic.  They also provide the reading recommendations.  I can choose from there which I think are appropriate for each grade level/child.  We do best with a literature approach to history.  I hope this helps you to understand the program better.