Menu

New Shows on TV this season

So, we have a DVR that came with our Dish Network package. It's going to be the ruin of me. I can now record every show I've ever had even a passing moment's interest in... and then spend hours and hours watching them, and getting nothing else done. Which I did. Tonight. Since I couldn't get on the boards. :001_huh:

Anyway...

Those of you who fry your brain on the occasional -- or not so occasional :blush: -- night time TV programs, which new shows this season have you watched and enjoyed?

Here's my list of new shows I've watched (for 2-3 episodes, so far):

The Mentalist -- entertaining. Lead actor is certainly easy on the eyes. :blushing: I don't know if I'll keep recording it, but it's a good show.

Fringe -- weird, strange, and the characters do not seem to react at all like I think they should to the things going on around them. I stopped recording this after the 3rd episode, although I got a kick out of the old doctor. I felt like the rest of the acting was ... lame.

Life on Mars -- kinda reminds me of the now-canceled Journeyman, which I liked. So far, I am liking this show, and want to see how it all pans out. Like Fringe, it's an unusual set-up, but I think the main character reacts logically to the circumstances in which he's found himself.

My Own Worst Enemy -- another unusual set-up, with characters (mainly the lead character) reacting pretty much how I'd expect them to react to their bizarre situation. Not sure I'll be able to keep watching it, though, as the government spy thriller types aren't really my thing.

What are your favorite new shows this fall?

Other shows I enjoy watching (returning programs):

Heroes -- this is one I ALWAYS record. I confess, I even go to the site and read the graphic novels.

House -- ditto

Life -- Good show that premiered last season, and I'm glad they renewed. But, interestingly, I have not yet watched any of the episodes from this season that I've recorded. I wanted to see how the storyline played out (cop falsely accused of murder, sent to prison for several years, now exonerated and back on the force, trying to find the real killer), but it's one of those "take it or leave it" shows for me.

Chuck -- I am still recording episodes, but I'm not sure I can keep this on my list. Time is precious, and I'm not sure this show is worth it.

Lost -- Of course, not on right now. :glare: When will it return, does anyone know?

The Office -- the only 30-minute sitcom I must watch. Every week. Do not call when The Office is on. (That's what she said!)

What are your favorite returning shows this fall?

Edited by jejily

Yup--Fringe and The Mentalist are favorites here, too. Also Eleventh Hour. I'm enjoying watching Rufus Sewell not only as an American but as a good guy :-)

We record all of the CSIs, NCIS, Criminal Minds, Numbers, Without a Trace, and ER. And Chuck. We like Chuck. :-)

I also record Bones and House. Mr. Ellie doesn't care for either of those. Too bad.:D

Oh, there's a show on BBCAmerica called "Primeval." Kind of wonky sci-fi, but we watch it anyway :-)

And the Dog Whisperer. Even Mr. Ellie will watch that.

I miss Journeyman as well... it was really good.

New: We're also watching Life on Mars (though I did prefer the British original version slightly) and Fringe. Fringe is getting a bit repetitive IMHO, I hope the overall story arc picks up. We're also really enjoying True Blood on HBO. It is pretty dark and has graphic sex (HBO graphic), which isn't usually my cup of tea, but the plot is just so engaging. I can't wait to find out each week what happens!

Old: Mad Men. We netflixed the first season this past summer, and I got hooked. Yes, it's really just a very fancy soap opera, but the acting and writing are great and I love period pieces. Plus Heroes. And I'm waiting anxiously for LOST to come back, as well as the next seasons of Battlestar Galactica (the final episodes), Dr. Who and Torchwood.

Pushing Daisies! It is an unusual concept, but has the quickest, quirkiest dialogue I think I've ever seen on TV.

Oh, yeah! I forgot about that show! I do record it, as well. I really get a kick out of it, and the dialogue, and the whole style of that show.

I have GOT to stop recording so many programs, though. I don't have enough time to watch them all, even though I can get through 4 programs in three hours, thanks to the DVR (skipping commercials sure saves a LOT of time!).