Menu

Ear piercing infection ?

JonesinIndiana

My 14 yr old had her ears pierced 3-4 years ago and just recently started having problems. Her right ear piercing has been oozing and gets crusty. She's been doing warm salt water compresses, changing out her earring (we're using 2 real gold earrings, so I don't think it's a metal allergy) and putting it in alcohol when it's not in. We were also using antibiotic ointment on the ear, but only at night. It started to improve last week but now it's back to oozy and crusty. What should I do? Do I need to get her to the doctor?

Thanks!

Is she touching them during the day? Irritation from messing with them or sleeping on them funny cas cause that and it compounds, because when it is irritated you touch and mess with it even more.

Another thought is that it might be fungal. Try applying ketoconazole or terbinafine to it and see if it improves in a few days.

If she's had it pierced 3-4 years I would have her take them out for at least a week and see what happens. They won't close up that fast. I agree with PP about the allergy.

Edited by texasmom33

If her ears have healed completely, I would leave the earrings out for a couple of weeks and leave it alone.  I would wash them in the shower with either a gentle soap like Dove, Cetaphil wash, or baby shampoo.  Just enough to clean it without fragrance or a bunch of moisturizers. If you use a natural shampoo, you can use that but avoid heavy scented or products with parabens/silicone/moisturizers etc.  Use as few amount of chemicals on the area as you can while it is healing.  Avoid all leave in hair products if possible.

Ideally, I would say soak the ear in fresh saline water daily or a wash designed for the ears.  Do not us alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Soak them for 1-3 minutes 2-3 times per day. I use a small medicine dosing cup or 1/8 cup measuring cup and hold the earlobe under the water.  Throw away used water, start fresh each time. We have free hanging ear lobes, so it is easy. If attached earlobes cause trouble, then use cotton balls soaked in saline held to the ear for 3 minutes.  (dip in fresh saline water every minute or so).  Saline will help heal the skin and prevent infection at the same time.

DO NOT touch the ears during the day. IF she does, then have her do a saline soak or at minimum wipe the area with a cotton ball soaked in saline. 

Wash her pillow case at least every other day and try to wash it daily (or at least flip the pillow).

If saline soaks are not going to happen...then apply a small amount of neosporin (triple antibiotic) or polysporin to the ears once or twice daily.  Once they heal,  continue for a day or so. Using products with chemicals can continue to irritate the skin, so it is better to use saline, then abx cream/ointment. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Calamine lotion during the daytime. Whatever works for chickenpox tends to work for anything oozing and crusty for my side of the family.

Acne cream if you happen to have a tube in the house for night time and then cover with a bandage or gauze and bandage.

I won't wear an earring until the piercing heals. I used a heated needle on my ear piercing that crusted and closed up and it was okay.

My stud earrings and stud backings have to be 22k gold, the 18k gold sometimes gives me problems. I also wear platinum stud earrings.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think it's an allergy since it's only 1 ear and not both, right?

Not necessarily. My dd is allergic to nickel and the lower carat golds and it hit one ear badly and not the other. We tried twice, the first with stainless (before we knew she was allergic to anything) and then at her doctor's recommendation, the second time we tried gold. Same ear flared badly, both times. She decided it wasn't that important to her and let it grow closed.

The doctor said if she ever tried again to do either platinum or titanium (I can't remember which).  Dd said if it was that much trouble to find earrings, it wasn't worth it. At least I don't have to worry about her getting odd piercings now that she's a teenager. :)