Menu

Latin for Children

socody

The DVDs come with the chant CD. I can't imagine doing it without at least the chant CD. I would look for it used.  Unless I had experience with Latin, I would not try to do LfC without the DVDs and chant CD.

Maybe someone can suggest a cheaper alternative--Getting Started with Latin maybe??? It has free recordings of the pronunciation.

• Like 1

Maybe someone can suggest a cheaper alternative--Getting Started with Latin maybe??? It has free recordings of the pronunciation.

GSWL is inexpensive and awesome. Less than $20 on Amazon, or $9.99 for Kindle version (which you can use in a cloud reader if you don't have a Kindle). You don't need anything else. And the recordings are free, as PP mentioned.

I highly recommend it, even for young kids. I did it with my DS @ 6 (now 10), and with my DD @ 6 (now 7). Worked like a charm for both. Streamlined, inexpensive, easy peasy to implement.

• Like 2

LfC is difficult to teach without the chanting cds. (if you don't know Latin yourself!)

LC is easy, peasy to teach.  No dvds or anything are needed. 

I haven't used GSWL, but I have used the Spanish version, and that was great. It was an inexpensive intro to Spanish, so I would think GSWL would be just as wonderful.  But LC is easy to teach if you want to go that route.

Edited by tmstranger

Latina Christiana does not need the teaching DVDs, but I would get the CD for it for pronunciation and songs and prayers. I would also add The Famous Men of Rome readings alongside it. Kids LOVE that book. The readings are scheduled into LC and the tests if you do them include questions from history. But it really makes the course so much fun.