Menu

Non-fiction novels for mature 14 year old?

I would check out the young adult biography section at the library.  That's the age when my kids really got into biographies.  So many of them are so inspiring, too!  There are probably a lot of regular adult biographies that she would enjoy as well. Our library had a whole section of biographies during World War II, and we found many in that area.  (all written from different points of views -- nurses, families, teenage girls, etc.)

Another thing you can do is go into Amazon and search Night, and it will give you other suggestions similar to that one, and you can keep following that path of suggestions then as you click on each new one.  Or, if there is a particular theme she is interested in, for example girls in World War II, you can search (in Amazon) "World War II + girls + biography" to get ideas.

I think any popular memoirs or shorter biographies of the last couple of decades would be good choices... So things like Angela's Ashes, Mountains Beyond Mountains, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Three Cups of Tea, Persepolis... Are there topics you'd like to avoid?

I think any popular memoirs or shorter biographies of the last couple of decades would be good choices... So things like Angela's Ashes, Mountains Beyond Mountains, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Three Cups of Tea, Persepolis... Are there topics you'd like to avoid?

I don't think there are any topics I'd feel the need to censor at this point. She knows it all. I've handed Infidel over to her, though she hasn't yet gotten to it.

I'd recommend these to my own kids. I also liked many of those listed by previous posters.

Into the Wild

Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History....

George Washington's Secret Six

The Drunkard's Walk

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas

Edited by Paige