Menu

apparently I'm a dried spice/herb hoarder

SparklyUnicorn

It is not hoarding if you might need them some day.  I hate it when I need a spice I don't already own.  Yes, I have only used Savory once in my lifetime of cooking, but I might use it again some day for some recipe.  That's not hoarding.  That's... saving.  And I refuse to acknowledge that spices lose their spiciness.  Fingers in ears.  La la la la la la

Edited by perkybunch
  • Like 2

It is not hoarding if you might need them some day.  I hate it when I need a spice I don't already own.  Yes, I have only used Savory once in my lifetime of cooking, but I might use it again some day for some recipe.  That's not hoarding.  That's... saving.  And I refuse to acknowledge that spices lose their spiciness.  Fingers in ears.  La la la la la la

Ha, if you were really a cooking pro, you would have Winter Savory and Summer Savory!  :)

I have two shallow drawers in my kitchen for herbs and spices, which lay flat in them in two layers.

I found out fairly recently that there are little spice jars at Cost Plus World Market that can stand up in those drawers, unlike many of my purchased ones.

One of these days I need to buy a whole bunch of those, label them on the top and sides, and decant my collect into them.  Then I would have a primary jar close at hand, and overflow jars, maybe on a shelf in the basement.  Then I could start buying in bulk from Penzey's, and storing the bulk in canning jars. 

Carp, I hate actually doing this stuff, but I love planning it.  I will probably get to this in a year or two, LOL.

• Like 1

I have a lot of whole spices, bulk spices, and custom blends. Most of it is in 8oz jelly jars, some with shaker lids, but a few are in 1/2 quart jars. I go through a lot of yeast, sage, garlic and salt. It bothers me when things aren't uniform and accessible. I need to be able to see them all. I picked up a bunch of new spices overseas too. I'd never used sumac before but now I use it a lot. I had turmeric but I go through more than I used to. Black lemon? I scooped that up and now love it on grilled chicken. What I really need is a custom spice tower that rotates around in a circle. I feel a consultation coming on.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

Mineare roughly alphabetized, but more like the first half of the alphabet here and the second half there. In spite of that, Iknow exactly where all of my most used ones are without looking. It's very disoritenting when dh tries to "help" me with my spices and things get put in different places.

I do not have enough room for my collection which expanded after I bought an Indian cookbook. I have glass jars that sit in plastic bins excepting certain ones that live in larger glass jars. On top of those I have a bunch of individual bags and packages since there is neither enough room nor enough jars. I dream of one day owning a pantry with one shelf large enough for the entire collection.

• Like 2

Mineare roughly alphabetized, but more like the first half of the alphabet here and the second half there. In spite of that, Iknow exactly where all of my most used ones are without looking. It's very disoritenting when dh tries to "help" me with my spices and things get put in different places.

I do not have enough room for my collection which expanded after I bought an Indian cookbook. I have glass jars that sit in plastic bins excepting certain ones that live in larger glass jars. On top of those I have a bunch of individual bags and packages since there is neither enough room nor enough jars. I dream of one day owning a pantry with one shelf large enough for the entire collection.

Every time I have a new culinary experience, I add new spices. Star anise pods, anise seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek/methi seeds, yellow and brown mustard seeds...each of them is absolutely essential!  :lol: I mean, really, what happens if I decide I want Greek, Thai, Indian, Bahraini, Jamaican or French food tomorrow?

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

Every time I have a new culinary experience, I add new spices. Star anise pods, anise seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek/methi seeds, yellow and brown mustard seeds...each of them is absolutely essential! :lol: I mean, really, what happens if I decide I want Greek, Thai, Indian, Bahraini, Jamaican or French food tomorrow?

Well...yes, because if it is anything it must be authentic! Having cumin seeds from my indian cookbook foray ended up being very helpful when I ran out of ground cumin so I guess there's always that. :D

• Like 2