Menu

How do you find Audio books to listen to?

Ottakee

I have been listening to audio books quite a bit as I can listen while I work around the house, etc. or listen as I drive.

Our library has a decent selection but I don't even know what to search for.  Scrolling through 18 pages of front covers just isn't very appealing.  A friend suggested a few and I come across a few by accident but I am sure there are tons more out there I could add to my wish and hold list........if only I knew what to request.

I don't do gory, explicit "tea" scenes, heavy mysteries, sci fi, fantasy, etc.  I enjoy light chick lit, wholesome romances, light historical books, memoirs and biographies, travel tales, humor, medical stories, etc.  Even well written middle/highschool level books are great.  I don't really want anything too heavy or things that require deep thought.  

I would love to explore more books written by and about minority characters, those from other countries, different cultures/backgrounds, etc.  I am conservative Christian but don't want to limit myself to only "Christian" books.

Any good suggestions?  Any place to find good lists of books I might like so I can see if our library system has them?

Some recent favorites include:

Stella By Starlight

Born a Crime

A Man Called Ove

For the Love Of by Jen Hatmaker

I find most books on Goodreads.  If I look up a book I know I like, there will be suggestions of similar books.  But in Overdrive (the audiobook app linked to my libraries) I can search for books by genre.  It's not always easy, but I can find things there. 

And, actually, one evening during a boring TV show that my husband wanted to watch, I did scroll through the entire audio collection.  It was kinda tedious.  :-)

If something looks remotely interesting I'll listen to the sample - a bad narrator will kill a book for me.  I might check the description and reviews on Goodreads. But, I figure, even if I make a mistake... it's free and all I've lost is a little time.  

I also belong to two libraries which helps.  I live in PA and discovered that I can join the Free Library of Philadelphia for, well, free.  There is a cost for people out of state. But they have a bigger selection than my county library system.  

I know this isn't the most helpful post.  Hoping you get more ideas. 

christianaudio.com gives away a free audiobook every month.  I get them even if I am not sure I will listen.

Otherwise I ask friends for recommendations of authors and books.  

I actually have several right now in my audible account, christianaudio.com account, and the library on hold that I plan to listen to.

I second the Audible and Goodreads suggestions.

Another place I've been finding good books/audiobooks is a podcast - http://modernmrsdarcy.com/what-should-i-read-next/  What Should I Read Next? with Anne Bogel from the Modern Mrs. Darcy blog. She has a fabulous podcast and even though her books selections aren't always my cup of tea (NOT that kind! ;) ) it is  nice to hear her talk books with a different guest each week. Maybe you'll find something to listen to? :)

Also, Ottakee you should join us over in the Book a Week thread!

• Like 1

Kind of a different approach--

Among the usual suggestions from Audible, friends, and writers we follow, when we find a favorite narrator, we check out everything that narrator has performed.  We have found some great books that way!