Menu

Blocking PMs On Teen's Facebook Page

Mary70

Only I have my teen's facebook page password, but when I allow him time on there, he has a few friends who PM him using vulgar language and pics. I can ban those friends from both his friend list AND the PM option, but my teen can just add them again once I go to the bathroom or go out to check the mailbox. 

Is there no app or anything for me to put the settings on his facebook page with a password, so that he needs a password before he can accept PMs from a friend etc?  

Thank you

I don't have an app or way to block the PM's but I know what I would do if my teen was deliberately adding friends that I had deleted on his account . . . I would block fb completely for some reasonable length of time in order for my teen to mature to the point of being able to abide by family rules.

• Like 11

Gently, maybe you need to loosen up about this? They are just words. Unless his friends are sending p0rn, I'd talk to him about appropriate language and then move on. But, I wouldn't be reading his private messages to start with so maybe I'm a terribly lax parent.

• Like 5

I don't have an app or way to block the PM's but I know what I would do if my teen was deliberately adding friends that I had deleted on his account . . . I would block fb completely for some reasonable length of time in order for my teen to mature to the point of being able to abide by family rules.

Yes this. Depending on the age of the teen. 13 yes. 17 probably not.

• Like 3

A few questions...

How old is your teen? I would have a very different answer if they are 13 rather than 17.

Has your teen actually re-added or unblocked friends you have "banned"?

What is his response to their messages? If he ignores or responds "Not cool, man! You know my mom checks up on here!" and he is older, probably no big deal. If he seems encouraging of their messages, then nothing you do on Facebook controls will solve the problem, only manage it.

what is the content of the messages, really? Is it just dumb slang like "Dude I'm bored AF"? How often is it happening? And pictures... depends on what the picture is. Everyone differs on that they consider vulgar.

Does your teen give you significant reason to do so much monitoring of their online communication? Again, different IMO if he is 13vs 17.

Honestly, the most surprising thing to me is that the teen uses Facebook at all. Of all the teens I know, the only ones who use Facebook do so if it is the means of communication for a group such as a musical theatre production, sports team, or church youth group.

• Like 6

FB just wasn't made to be micromanaged like that. Heck, those of us who like it can't even make it do what we want half the time as adults.

I agree with the idea that either he can have FB, perhaps with some limited monitoring, or he can't. And you have to leave it at that. If you feel he can't handle it, then you should ban it. If you feel he can, then you have to let him make some of these decisions and let go of other kids' behavior in particular.

• Like 1