Menu

Dumbo or Fancy Rats as Pets... Any experience??

umsami

Ratties are wonderful pets. They really are very loving if they get plenty of gentle handling. We've had several that would lick us like little dogs and go to sleep in our laps.

There are a few important things to know, though.

The biggest drawbacks in our experience are their short lifespans and the high rates of cancer, especially among females. Be prepared to have them only live two or three years (three is extreme ratty old age, and many don't make it that long). It's awfully hard to spot a mammary tumor on a much-loved pet. Our vet discouraged surgery, saying most regrew the tumors quickly.

Sometimes short-term is what you need, though. We loved our rats and miss them, and they filled a real need at a time when our kids weren't ready for their own dogs.

Oh, and be sure to get more than one. They are very social and really need cage mates.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 2

We want rats so badly, but DH, who grew up in NYC, considers them vermin and draws the line at hamsters *sigh* But from everyone I've spoken to who has had them, I've heard that they make wonderful pets. I've also heard the cancer problem as well, unfortunately :( Of course, we had two gerbils die of scent gland tumors and one hamster put down because of what we think was Cushing's disease, so I don't think any small pets are free from those kinds of issues. 

If you get them, consider going through a local rescue. Our local small pet rescues have so many rats (and guinea pigs, sheesh!) that need loving homes and that are already well socialized.

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

Whatever you do, buy through a reputable breeder. We made the mistake of buying pet store rats a few months ago and two of the three died within weeks due to an infection they were born with. The last one is hanging in there, but has gotten moody because he is lonely for a cage mate.

We also brought home two silver marten males that were being rehomed on Craigslist. They were bought from a proper rattery and are hale and hearty. One is a dumbo, and the other is a standard. The standard is a Rex and the dumbo has a smooth coat. We keep them well away from the sickly little guy so they won't get infected.

I was honestly not prepared for the odor that rats have. I don't usually have an issue with animal smells, but rats have a stinky, musty odor that will not go away. They are bathed at least once a week and their cages are cleaned from top to bottom with a steamer at least three times a week. They are still stinky and I would like them to go away, but they are also incredibly friendly and playful, I reign in that impulse, and breathe through my mouth when I am in sniffing distance.

• Like 1

Rats are phenomenal pets. In groups.

As far as advice? Set money aside to deal with tumors or make a pact to euthanize if they get too problematic. Even with male rats, tumors are so common. Most are benign but it's just an expense to plan for.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Our rats lived long, healthy lives (for rats).  One died at 29 months.  His brother is 31 months and still doing great.  I posted above that we "had" rats even though we still have one.  We did get ours through a breeder who breeds for health and temperament.  I agree about making sure your rat has a companion and also, unfortunately about the smell.  

• Like 1