Menu

Any Herbalists in the Hive?

scrapbookbuzz

Yes, I have. And a lot of that misinformation literally came from allopathic doctors years ago but

traditionally, before "modern medicine" it has been used to help liver and kidney issues, with no known

contraindications. Personally, I don't think a teaspoonful is going to hurt me. I'm willing to risk it, at any rate.

The more I learn in my herbalists studies, the more I get mad and disappointed. Disappointed that all

this knowledge of natural remedies hasn't been taught on a bigger scale or at least through the generations

to more families. And mad because I feel like important information has been kept from us all so we can

pay our precious dollars for synthetic stuff that may or may not really help us.

This is one of the reasons why I have felt such a connection to the Christophers and their teachings. 

Stories about pharmaceutical companies and lawsuits, settle out of court, permanent disabilities or death, and it is not an infrequent thing. Glenn Frey for a recent example. 

I was SICK of people telling me to go to the doctor for every little freaking thing I experienced or that my children experienced. Oh, wait. Don't get me started. :banghead:

• Like 1

Okay, so interesting result of the Raindrop Therapy. I can feel my body self-adjusting.

What I mean is, I can feel different muscles in my back stretching and pulling on their own

as they try to align where they need to be. If you've ever had LASIK done, you know how your

vision changes almost daily for the first three weeks afterward as your brain tries to adjust?

This is similar, but in my back. I was just driving home after dropping off my kids

when I felt this. I also need to drink more water, as I'm getting the pressure in my sinuses the

same as I had several days straight after the accident.

• Like 1

How do you find a raindrop therapist? Did you get recommendations from anyone else who has used this therapy and a particular business? Is this mostly through the Young Living Essential oils? I've never heard of it.

Of course there are several other opinions to choose from on my google search for raindrop therapy, nixing the whole idea of using oils.

I'm reading something on Nature's Gift. This reads that the oils are used straight from the bottle, undiluted. I would be skeptical of that. It can burn the skin from what I've read about using oregano (one of the suggested use oils).

Well, I don't know enough about it to say I would use it. It states that people are not trained well enough to do it safely.

If it works for you, that is great. I know people have always given me the hard way to go when I've indicated what herbs I've used for different ailments instead of a doctor's appointment, testing, etc. 

When we don't know enough, we do tend to criticize or remain naysayers, unless we've been through the wringer too many times by traditional methods.

I hope your pain goes away!

• Like 1

Gaillardia, those are all good points and good questions!

My understanding is that the actual 'ritual' started with the Lakota Indians.

The founder of Young Living, Gary Young, actually worked with a Lakota Indian to

implement the essential oils. Personally, I don't use YL EOs on a daily basis, I use a different brand.

But yes, this is a therapy that is unique (in the MLM world) to YL. And they DO get training and have to be

certified to do it. The gal who did mine made sure to ask if I was doing alright and to let her know if it got too

'hot' (intense). She did tell me ahead of time that for fair skinned people like myself it can get intense. I let her know

when it did but it wasn't that bad and I don't have a high tolerance for pain. I'm not saying it was painful - more like when 

you get in a too hot bath.

Anyway it was the first one I've ever had. And I found it interesting the way my body responded hours later. 

And as for people that give you a hard time for not going to the doctor, it's usually because they've been conditioned all their

life to "call the doctor." My mom's own GP looked at me askance when I said one time, during her appointment, "Mom, doctors don't

know everything. That's why it's called a practice."  Professional medical personnel don't often expect someone to question what they say or do.

• Like 2

Okay, sister herbalists, I have a question for you. Listening to a podcast by my instructor today,

he said to not use St. John's Wort if you live in a sunny area. Well, I live in Phoenix. Don't get much

sunnier than that! What do you suggest I use instead?

What are you using it for, and what on earth is his reasoning?!

Taken internally,sjw is powerful medicine, and that brings powerful side effects. It can mess with medications from SSRIs (and any suppliment/food that has anything to do with serotonin, such as htp) to birth control to heart medications.

It does not, however, have any contraindications with vitamin d as far as I know.

My understanding is that it's not native to really sunny areas.

However it's been cultivated just about everywhere over the years.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I just identified the bushes on the back of our lot

as St. John's Wort. Going out to confirm in a few minutes.

Wouldn't that be exciting!

So, on the St John's Wort, evidently it's been proven to increase photosensitivity.

Meaning, if you live in a sunny area, and take the SJW over an extended period of time

(which you have to do, as with most herbs, to get the full medicinal effect), it will increase

your chances of burning. An equally effective substitute is licorice root. I'll have to look into

getting licorice for myself as I live in Phoenix, one of the sunniest spots in the nation!

I've always found herbalism fascinating, but I never really got into studying it beyond the most basic remedies because there's so much misinformation out there and I wouldn't even know where to look to find reputable, science-backed information. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to the Young Living website to learn about safe herbs. And it seems like EVERYONE just wants to sell you something.

I'm also not anti-conventional medicine, and I have very limited patience for sorting through conspiracy theories about Big Pharma and evil doctors on alternative medicine websites. I'm more about using the minimum effective treatment for a given problem. That might be a cup of tea with honey, or it might be chemo. And I've found that mindset isn't really accepted among many of the people who study herbalism.

• Like 2

Mergath, one of the beautiful things is that we're all allowed our own opinion!

As for misinformation, you'll find that in "modern medicine" too. Just look at all the meds that the FDA has approved

as generally known as safe only to turn around and recall that same med when it turned out it isn't safe, but only thousands

of people have been hurt, sometimes irreparably, by taking said medication. 

As for YL oils, I don't use or sell them. I researched on my own. 

I'm also not against "modern medicine." I just don't think people should start there. And don't even get me started on chemo!

Oi! There are SO many better avenues of medicine to research before one starts destroying their entire body in the hopes of curing one part!

Sadly, there are two many people not willing to 

just do a little research into what could help them ward off or fight what ails them. 

• Like 1

I've always found herbalism fascinating, but I never really got into studying it beyond the most basic remedies because there's so much misinformation out there and I wouldn't even know where to look to find reputable, science-backed information. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to the Young Living website to learn about safe herbs. And it seems like EVERYONE just wants to sell you something.

I'm also not anti-conventional medicine, and I have very limited patience for sorting through conspiracy theories about Big Pharma and evil doctors on alternative medicine websites. I'm more about using the minimum effective treatment for a given problem. That might be a cup of tea with honey, or it might be chemo. And I've found that mindset isn't really accepted among many of the people who study herbalism.

I started by studying botany.

I dunno, people being crazy doesn't keep me from studying it sanely.

Mergath, one of the beautiful things is that we're all allowed our own opinion!

As for misinformation, you'll find that in "modern medicine" too. Just look at all the meds that the FDA has approved

as generally known as safe only to turn around and recall that same med when it turned out it isn't safe, but only thousands

of people have been hurt, sometimes irreparably, by taking said medication. 

As for YL oils, I don't use or sell them. I researched on my own. 

I'm also not against "modern medicine." I just don't think people should start there. And don't even get me started on chemo!

Oi! There are SO many better avenues of medicine to research before one starts destroying their entire body in the hopes of curing one part!

Sadly, there are two many people not willing to 

just do a little research into what could help them ward off or fight what ails them. 

Yes, but when it comes to things I'm putting into my own or my family's bodies, I don't want opinions. I want science-based evidence. ;)

• Like 1

Yes, but when it comes to things I'm putting into my own or my family's bodies, I don't want opinions. I want science-based evidence. ;)

Same here!

I think the biggest problem is that regular herbs can't be patented so there is little financial incentive to do rigorous scientific studies on their effects. Marketing the stuff without scientific backing is cheap.

I'd love to see more grant money spent on research on herbal remedies, I have no doubt there is plenty of good, useful information to be had if we would commit the resources to digging into it.

Thank God they haven't been patented yet!

Its not that I want them to be patented, but patents serve as an incentive to put money into research as a financial payoff is possible.

There is way too little research out there on most herbal remedies, and pretty much anyone can market them with whatever claims they want as long as they are a tad careful in their wording. It is so very hard to sort out what is scientifically supportable and what is just spun out of thin air.

I disagree. There's a tons of studies. So many drugs started from chemists isolating or reproducing the active constituents of plants.

True but the problem that often comes from isolating those constituents is that those constituents alone aren't what provide the healing power of the plant. It's often a whole part of the plant itself that does the job.

• Like 1

True but the problem that often comes from isolating those constituents is that those constituents alone aren't what provide the healing power of the plant. It's often a whole part of the plant itself that does the job.

My comment= there are studies

My comment= there are studies

Is there any place where studies are collected and easily searcheable?

Most herbal books and websites and such I have seen just state "x herb is good for y" with no indication of where this claim comes from. I want controlled, double blind studies on both efficacy and safety; I don't care for folklore unless and until it has been confirmed scientifically. I've heard plenty of weird folklore remedies in various parts of the world; most are empty smoke.

At the same time, I absolutely believe there are herbs with real beneficial effects. I just want more information than I have found to be readily accessible.

Is there any place where studies are collected and easily searcheable?

Most herbal books and websites and such I have seen just state "x herb is good for y" with no indication of where this claim comes from. I want controlled, double blind studies on both efficacy and safety; I don't care for folklore unless and until it has been confirmed scientifically. I've heard plenty of weird folklore remedies in various parts of the world; most are empty smoke.

At the same time, I absolutely believe there are herbs with real beneficial effects. I just want more information than I have found to be readily accessible.

Just pick one thing to learn about. One plant, one problem, whatever. And thoroughly learn it.

That's how most of us do by default, anyway, and there are schools of thought within the tradition that advocate it over any other way to proceed.

Or, don't. Nbd

Funny story: yesterday I was in Home Depot and was showing a picture of a plant I'd found on a hike to a couple of the workers.

2 out of 3 said, "It looks like a weed." I told them that most (of what we call) weeds are actually herbs. So when we showed it to the 

3rd person, hoping he could identify it, the first worker told him, "DON'T say the obvious thing." B-)  

The plant is a yellow flowering plant (small flowers) with long tapering leaves that have little hair-like things on the leaves, similar to stinging

nettles. But this is in the Sonoran Desert so I'm pretty sure it's not stinging nettle.

Even if it's not a useful herb, weed is a nearly useless term.

I'm allergic to strawberries, so when strawberry plants kept popping up in my garlic bed, they were weeds.

See anything similar here scrapbook?

http://wildflowerfinder.org.uk/Flowers/N/Nettle%28Fen%29/Nettle%28Fen%29.htm

Fwiw, I know regular stinging, and stingless, nettle both grow in the North Mexico dessert. Especially around it's outskirts.

My husband was teasing me earlier today as I was buying some looseleaf tea to take with me on my trip.

Because I won't be checking any baggage, he asked when he saw it, "Will they allow that on the plane? What exactly

do you have in that bag, ma'am?"  :coolgleamA:  I pointed out that the ingredients are listed on the bag.