Menu

Any Herbalists in the Hive?

scrapbookbuzz

I began my addiction, I mean journey, into the herbalist adventure late last summer when I found the

book Healing Spices in Goodwill. It's only gotten better, and more interesting, since then!  

I now own two of Rosemary Gladstar's books and two by James Green. Plus a few others.

Last October I was so excited to be able to identify a wild growing medicinal herb when we were in the mountains!

And this morning, I went for a brief hike to check out the chaparral that grows around here. There's a lot of it!

Anyone else on this fun, crazy adventure with me?

• Like 4

Me...I've taken a few courses from Vintage Remedies and own a bunch of herb books. I've also joined Herb Mentor a couple of times and am currently doing the free materia medica course from Herbal Academy of New England. I've been working on getting a medicinal herb garden growing, and have done a little wildcrafting (from my weed-infested yard, or other people's yards so far). I make my own tinctures, syrups, tea blends, etc.

• Like 1

I've made some teas and encapsulated herbs before. I believe I've made some tincture and other concoctions a looong time ago too. Honestly, it's just easier to buy things nowadays though. I do use herbs a lot actually but get them from the health food store. :D.

What medinal plants grow in the wild around you all? We have lots of juniper trees, pine needles (can make a tea from...good vitamin c souce), and sage. I can also find mullein, stinging nettle, lavenderr, clover, chamomile, and dandelion.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

me. I am an herbalist, not certified, but nonetheless, I have helped my kids, dh and self so many times with herbs and or essential oils. So grateful they or I didn't have to continue to use medication that was making matters worse.

Love intuition when it comes to herbs. I follow the teachings of Dr. John Christopher and even though I haven't yet completed my course materials, I've learned a lot. I am not afraid of the power of herbs.

Edited to delete the grinding of an ax.

Edited by Gaillardia
  • Like 1

I am interested in adaptogens and other herbs for healing. I am currently a couple of books.

You, personally, are a couple of books? 

Which books did you choose to be?  :D

ETA: I wasn't trying to be snarky. The typo just struck my funnybone. 

And I THANK YOU for that on a Monday!

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 4

Such great nuggets being shared on here! Keep 'em coming!

Some reknowned herbalists mentioned so far:

Dr. John Christopher

Shonda Parker

Rosemary Gladstar

James Green

Danny Abaldo

A note: my own instructor has told us students "1000 herbalists, 1000 views." This means that not all herbalists will agree on all methods. But by no means let this stop you from pursuing your herbalist journey. Read the books, take the courses, see who resonates with you. And most of all, have fun and be healthy!

• Like 2

Some of my favorites that haven't been named yet: Buhner, Hoffman, Tierra, Worwood, Matthew Wood

I've heard of Hoffman but it's funny. I'm halfway through a Masters Degree in Counterterrorism and another Hoffman (Bruce) is a well-respected expert in the field. So, of course, the first time I heard Hoffman in the herbalist context, you know who I immediately thought of! VASTLY different fields, however!  :coolgleamA:

Another point of interest:

Herbalists you come across will run the gamut from wiccan to Christ-following, and everything in between.

Like I previously noted, read the books, read the blogs, find who you resonates with you. You'll learn the best

from those to whom you can relate!

This is a great point. Read widely.  Different books have come into my life at different points when I've needed them to teach me something that I needed to know. 

• Like 1

:lol:

I was thinking of this text of his: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0892817496/ref=x_gr_w_bb_sout?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_bb_sout-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0892817496&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

At one point, I needed to brush up on my chemistry to understand why my body was responding better to certain herbs than others.

• Like 1

The Vintage Remedies classes are good, not cheap though, but I had a really bad experience with the ones I paid for (I've gotten several free as part of ebook/encourse bundles). If you google for reviews on Yelp you can find my whole story if you're so inclined.

Herb Mentor is a good place to start...tons of info for $10/mo, ecourses on different subjects, etc, and you can download anything you want and keep it after you cancel.

My "gateway" book was Be Your Own Doctor. It is written from a Christian perspective. Tons of easy to use info, easy to read, just a really good book. I do like to cross-check some of her recommendations with other sources at this point for safety, as I've found a few suggestions in it that I don't consider safe now that I know more.

• Like 2

The Herbalist in me struck again. Or rather, helped, I should say. 

I went to bed a little after 11pm last night, even though I'd been yawning for a straight half hour so probably should have

been in bed sooner. Anyway, I woke up around 0230 and laid there for a half an hour, fruitlessly waiting for sleep to come back,

mostly due to pain and stiffness, I think. So after praying a bit, I got got up and went downstairs to get something to eat and drink. While eating, I read through a document about Raindrop Therapy, a rather unique massage technique using several essential oils. My neighbor offered to give me a treatment

when I first told her about my car accident a few months ago. I may ask her if that offer still stands because this week, the pain and stiffness

seem to be the most intense. Then, as the clock read 4am (and there was no way I was going to make it through today without more sleep), 

I took a melatonin/chamomile/valerian combo supplement, then put some lavender essential oil in my Renew Lotion and rubbed the bottoms

of my feet. I'm happy to say I got about 3 1/2 more hours of sleep!

• Like 1

The Vintage Remedies classes are good, not cheap though, but I had a really bad experience with the ones I paid for (I've gotten several free as part of ebook/encourse bundles). If you google for reviews on Yelp you can find my whole story if you're so inclined.

Herb Mentor is a good place to start...tons of info for $10/mo, ecourses on different subjects, etc, and you can download anything you want and keep it after you cancel.

My "gateway" book was Be Your Own Doctor. It is written from a Christian perspective. Tons of easy to use info, easy to read, just a really good book. I do like to cross-check some of her recommendations with other sources at this point for safety, as I've found a few suggestions in it that I don't consider safe now that I know more.

Thank you!I have been on Vintage remedies fb page for a long time and never got around to enrolling in their classes.So I am glad I did not pull the plug.

Herb Mentor sounded familiar-checked it out and realized I have been on John-learning herbs email list for at least 2 years now.Good to know its worth the money.

Blsd mama,I have 2 teens,but will look at what you mentioned.

Edited to say thank you everyone for sharing all the wonderful info!

Edited by mominco
  • Like 1

Okay, my sister herbalists, what do you think is best for dealing with the delayed pain of whiplash? It's been almost 3 months since the accident and I have been on a very good chiro treatment plan. This past week is when the pain and stiffness have been the most pronounced and the most consistent. What do you recommend herb-wise? (Other than marijuana, which I just won't do.)

Dr. Christopher formula Bone, Flesh and Cartilage has helped me many times with injuries on my feet and bursitis in the hand. 

I highly recommend it. I know it may be difficult to apply a poultice or a cloth soaked in the tea of BF&C to the back or neck and shoulders, but I would still give it a try.

It contains gravel root, mullein, marshmallow herb, lobelia, scullcap, black walnut, comfrey and I think we used white oak bark in our blend as well. Taking 2-3 tablespoons of the mixed cut herbs, to a medium sized pot of about 6 cups of boiling water. Turn heat down to a simmer for 20 minutes. That's what we've done. Either use the herbs, placing directly on the skin, or use a cotton cloth or hand towel and saturate the towel, wring it out mostly. Lay a dry towel over the herbs or the saturated towel for as long as the towel or herbs stay warm. Refresh the towel or the herbs as needed. Do it once or twice each session. Do it 2 or 3 times a day.

herballegacy.com

>>>This is not medical advice. I'm not a doctor.<<<

• Like 1

Referencing my post above....

I was having a bad pain in my foot after being on my feet in heels I wasn't accustomed to wearing. We brewed up a batch as my pain was getting worse and I wanted to attend another event that evening. The pain was tendon-related.

After 20 minutes of having my foot in the solution, my pain was completely gone, no swelling, and I wasn't bothered by that particular problem again. I was able to go out and be on my feet with no problem. I did use the solution as hot as I could stand it, that was recommended. 

With the bursitis issue I alternated between soaking my hand in cold water 5 minutes and the hot solution (but not too hot) for 10 minutes. I had to give my hand a vacation but the swelling in the bursae was evidently decreased and my hand and fingers more flexible. 

Edited by Gaillardia
  • Like 1

Mullein or solomon's seal might also be worth looking into, scrapbookbuzz.

Be careful with that raindrop therapy...do some research on safety and reactions to it first. It uses a lot of undiluted or barely diluted essential oils and can cause skin reactions or worse. It's really not a safe or evidence-based use of essential oils.

• Like 2

caedmyn, good point on the dilution of oils. I'll look at the 'ingredients' again and make sure the more potent oils are diluted.

As one person said to me when I cautioned on her use of straight peppermint on her back, "The intensity of the peppermint was 

better than the amount of pain in my back." I'm kind of at that point, too, with this whiplash-induced nonsense disruption to my life.

Just trying to do what I can.

If you're interested in bodywork at all, Neuromuscular Therapy, Rolfing, or John Barnes'-style Myofascial Release Therapy could be helpful.  Rolfing helped when I had a pinched nerve from (what I think was) mild whiplash caused by diving off a highish diving board when my oldest was a toddler, and I've used all the others too (for chronic neck and shoulder issues).

Thanks, caedmyn. Think I'll pass on the rolfing. But reading about myofascial release reminds me 

about using the foam roller to help my back. Need to do that!

Foam rolling has helped me quite a bit. I'm hesitant to suggest herbs when I don't know what exactly is going wrong with your body, but I'm guessing some natural anti-inflammatories would help as well--curcumin, fish oil, etc.

• Like 1

Foam rolling has helped me quite a bit. I'm hesitant to suggest herbs when I don't know what exactly is going wrong with your body, but I'm guessing some natural anti-inflammatories would help as well--curcumin, fish oil, etc.

I remind myself to take my coldwater omegas and those really do help! 

As for herbs, I have a Feel Better blend of tea that has, I think, about 12 different herbs

and plants in it that help in all sorts of ways. I may make myself some after my massage this

afternoon. I'm not even close to the stiffness and soreness I was on Tuesday, thank God!

Right now it's just some stiffness in my neck and some cramping in my hamstrings. Need to remember

to take my crampbark tincture!

ETA: I was also reading that making a tea with a small amount of chaparral helps stiffness and pain. I do have some. Perhaps I'll try a bit of that for tea instead. We'll see.

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 1

Yes, I have. And a lot of that misinformation literally came from allopathic doctors years ago but

traditionally, before "modern medicine" it has been used to help liver and kidney issues, with no known

contraindications. Personally, I don't think a teaspoonful is going to hurt me. I'm willing to risk it, at any rate.

The more I learn in my herbalists studies, the more I get mad and disappointed. Disappointed that all

this knowledge of natural remedies hasn't been taught on a bigger scale or at least through the generations

to more families. And mad because I feel like important information has been kept from us all so we can

pay our precious dollars for synthetic stuff that may or may not really help us.

• Like 1

I agree.  Dr. Christopher was a huge proponent of chaparral.  I have some ongoing issues which make me more cautious about what I use so I wanted to make sure you knew of the controversy since you mentioned above that you were only several months into your studies.

Thanks for watching out for me. I read about the herbal stuff almost every day!

• Like 1