Menu

IQ testing, public school, and gifted programs

Sarah0000

My son is in TK this year with a public homeschool charter in CA. I teach him at home with whatever materials and the schools pays for his outside lessons, field trips, and supplies.

Next school year he will be turning six and will be in Kindergarten. I would like to get him IQ tested. How do I go about asking the school to pay for this? I've tried searching other threads and I've seen mention of IDEA, but I thought that was for disabilities?

Right now I primarily want IQ testing for my own information, but I might possibly use the results to attempt to get DS entrance into the school's learning center for classes/tutoring above his age and grade. I may also look into outside gifted programs but I really haven't looked into that yet. If the school does the IQ testing should I still receive the full results to do with as I see fit? If I pay for testing myself is the school still obligated to accept the results?

Also, what gifted programs should I look in to, so I know what kind of testing requirements there might be? Right now I'm not looking for super academic classes, but some kind of project based class or club preferably with a social aspect. Is there anything online like that for really young kids? I live in Central California if there happens to be anything close by.

Most districts do not do individual IQ testing except in the context of testing for LDs.  Most districts have gifted programming and testing info on the district website, so I'd start there.  For example, here, the district does an ability screening test (the CogAT) in 3rd and 5th grades, and a high-enough ability score plus high-enough achievement testing can start a process for collecting the "body of evidence" for access to either weekly pullouts or the full-time gifted program located at certain elementary schools.  Some districts accept private testing, some do not.  Not many districts have gifted programming at the K level.

• Like 1

IQ testing is pretty unreliable before the age of 8 or 9. I wouldn't recommend getting it done now unless there is a problem or your kid is clearly, plainly off the charts and you think you'll need to ask the school district for help before that age (or they won't be able to slot him into a program if you wait any longer).

• Like 1

They don't have a gifted program. I do struggle with finding the right math for him and he balks at every math program eventually. I thought perhaps he could go to the math tutoring at the learning center but the first grade they offer it is for third. Before his TK year started he tested out of the K, 1, and 2 reading and math assessments so they could approve buying him third grade math curriculum, but they still say the learning center classes and tutoring are strictly by grade which I do understand maturity-wise.

Won't the IQ testing identify specific strengths and weaknesses that could potentially help me find programs he likes especially for math? I know he's very advanced in visual spatial stuff and really thrives on stories but I don't really know anything else. Its getting very exhausting making non creative math programs more creative for him.

He's 4 or 5, yes? Balking at formal math programs is developmentally appropriate even if ability wise he can do the work that an 8 year old can do.

Can you do math informally?

I didn't find IQ testing particularly helpful for things like choosing curriculum; such tests don't measure personality or learning style preferences. The most helpful information I got was very low processing speed for one of my kids, which helped me be more patient with s.l.o.w. work. The strengths I mostly knew about already.

I also want to see if he has a disorder. I've read places that sometimes a gifted kid will be diagnosed as ASD or ADHD mistakenly, or perhaps that the diagnosis was correct but they failed to also diagnose giftedness because they attribute behaviors solely to the first disorder. I've seen some people recommend getting an IQ test first then looking into other diagnoses.

So for instance he can have infrequent, but epic tantrums particulary when he has been wronged in some way, with kicking, biting, scratching. Schooling wise he behaves normally I suppose, lately complaining about starting work but then happy to do so once he starts, except for math usually.

A school assessment cannot diagnose things like ADHD or ASD, those are medical diagnoses. If you want evaluation for such things plus IQ testing you would do best to do full neuropsychological evaluations. If there aren't urgent concerns though you have a better chance of getting a reliable IQ evaluation if you wait a few years.

I know that parents of some mathematically gifted children do a lot of oral math and scribing when their kids are young; if putting pencil to paper is part of the issue you can try that; also using a white board or even sidewalk chalk for math time.

• Like 3

We do math mostly informally. I have a lot of formal math programs but I usually take the information and practice it informally. When he does written work in a math book I let him do whatever he wants. Like he did most of the shapes chapter in BA3a happily but the rest he couldn't care less about. He liked the Key to Fractions and Key to Geometry book for about a month each then got bored and will only pull it out once in a blue moon now.

I think his mathematical reasoning ability is high but he only knows his facts when he's played math games very recently. So for certain things he stalls at third grade level. And I don't really want to make an uninterested five year old memorize facts. Right now he's just doing a Fun Schooling math journal and I ordered a couple CTC logic books hoping that will interest him and at least engage that kind of thinking, even if it's not technically math.

He was also very early advanced with fine motor and writing is not an issue for him. He never balks at writing anything. Sometimes I think maybe he's more of an LA kid but who happens to also make huge leaps with mathematical reasoning. As you can see I can't really get a handle on him.

Should I wait for psychological assessment a few years as well? Emotionally I feel like I can handle him just fine. My DH really struggles though and DH will be starting family counseling this month to help him with anger management and parenting.

A school assessment cannot diagnose things like ADHD or ASD, those are medical diagnoses. If you want evaluation for such things plus IQ testing you would do best to do full neuropsychological evaluations. If there aren't urgent concerns though you have a better chance of getting a reliable IQ evaluation if you wait a few years.

ASD and ADHD are most commonly diagnosed through school assessments here. I'm my past professional life, I commonly referred children for school assessments for these exact things. The assessments then would often include some amount of IQ testing. Actually, private non-school-based testing is so rare here that I had to search for weeks before finding anywhere in my state that would offer me private psych & IQ testing for my child.

I would suggest calling the school admin and finding out if they offer what you are looking for,

ASD and ADHD are most commonly diagnosed through school assessments here. I'm my past professional life, I commonly referred children for school assessments for these exact things. The assessments then would often include some amount of IQ testing. Actually, private non-school-based testing is so rare here that I had to search for weeks before finding anywhere in my state that would offer me private psych & IQ testing for my child.

I would suggest calling the school admin and finding out if they offer what you are looking for,

Interesting.

Here schools refer parents to medical professionals or neuropsychologists for diagnosus.

This page has information about which professionals usually can and cannot diagnose ADHD; school psychologists and educational psychologists are in the "cannot" category unless they have extra training and certifications, but a footnote indicates that for school purposes they can apply the label.

http://drc.calpoly.edu/content/eligibility/whoCanDiagnose

Edited by maize

If the school is willing to test, I would be amazed if they would cough up the money to test twice. Your child is so young that the factors which could dramatically alter results are very high (sleep, food, itchy sock, just do not want to, not enough activity, ect.). It is not developmentally appropriate for a kiddo that your ung to sit still and go through series of questions with full attentiveness. I would honestly wait until 7 or 8 for a battery so that you can at least rely on the results. As a PP said, these will not normally help with curriculum choices. They can get yiu access to services, though I do not know if results that young are admissible. I'd just be careful that you don't jump the gun if the district is willing to work with you. Many are not.

By the way, two of my children were evaluated through the school system; three years later we did evaluations through a private neuropsychologist (insurance did pay for most of this). The IQ test results for both from the private testing were about 20 points higher.

Which didn't make me feel super confident about IQ measurement in general :tongue_smilie:

I also want to see if he has a disorder. I've read places that sometimes a gifted kid will be diagnosed as ASD or ADHD mistakenly, or perhaps that the diagnosis was correct but they failed to also diagnose giftedness because they attribute behaviors solely to the first disorder. I've seen some people recommend getting an IQ test first then looking into other diagnoses.

So for instance he can have infrequent, but epic tantrums particulary when he has been wronged in some way, with kicking, biting, scratching. Schooling wise he behaves normally I suppose, lately complaining about starting work but then happy to do so once he starts, except for math usually.

You must read "Living with Intensity".  It is all about how gifted kids are just more-  more of everything including feelings. I found it super helpful in recognizing that my kid is intense and gifted, not ADHD or something else.  It helped me realize I'm not crazy and and gave me patience for dealing with my child.  I found the Mensa website helpful for finding a doctor to do the IQ tests. Your health insurance might cover it, if you have mental health services on your insurance.  Most school districts will not do it.  You can call and ask though.  

Thank you. I will look for Living With Intensity and check my insurance. I also don't want to make the opposite mistake and assume everything is just from giftedness and overlook a disorder. I guess I just want a professional to tell me everything that is going on with him so I'll know for sure one way or the other. Mostly for DH as he's the one who really struggles parenting him.

• Like 1

Achievement testing took care of the Dh parenting, educational anxiety, ect. However, Dh just completely backed off from Ds. It did not give him a way to join. Hopefully you can find resources where your Dh can be involved. The Dad issue is a real one. For some reason the whole gifted thing seems to be harder for many dads.