Menu

Orange-tinted stainless steel pot okay to use?

Mergath

I found a used IKEA stainless steel pot at Goodwill today, and it looks great except that the bottom on the inside has an orange sheen. Is it okay to use once I've washed it really well? I haven't had a lot of stainless steel, so I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Thanks!

Its probably been cleaned improperly. You would need to remove it. The chrome will oxidize again as long as its treated properly. I lucked out the same way at a thrift shop with a ss tramontina stock pot.

Edited by Heigh Ho

I found a used IKEA stainless steel pot at Goodwill today, and it looks great except that the bottom on the inside has an orange sheen. Is it okay to use once I've washed it really well? I haven't had a lot of stainless steel, so I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Thanks!

i'd do some research to see what kinds of metal it's made from.

"clad" cookware has different metals sandwiched between  stainless.  and with further reading I did awhile ago (on a snobby cooking site that considered all-cad d5 tolerable, but otherwise liked things like "vollrath, and mauviel - ordered directly from paris and shipped because it was cheaper than buying it at sur la table.) - the stainless can be so thin and of low quality, that it will expose the sandwiched metal.

does the orange sheen come off with scouring?

i'd do some research to see what kinds of metal it's made from.

"clad" cookware has different metals sandwiched between  stainless.  and with further reading I did awhile ago (on a snobby cooking site that considered all-cad d5 tolerable, but otherwise liked things like "vollrath, and mauviel - ordered directly from paris and shipped because it was cheaper than buying it at sur la table.) - the stainless can be so thin and of low quality, that it will expose the sandwiched metal.

does the orange sheen come off with scouring?

I tried boiling some vinegar in it earlier, and it took the orange off! I probably should have thought to try that before asking about it. Doh.

I wonder what the people at the snobby cooking site would think of my secondhand IKEA pan, lmao.

I tried boiling some vinegar in it earlier, and it took the orange off! I probably should have thought to try that before asking about it. Doh.

I wonder what the people at the snobby cooking site would think of my secondhand IKEA pan, lmao.

glad the vinegar took it off.  

I'd rolled my eyes at them - unless someone is a professional chef cooking complex dishes that are finicky about both heat sources and pans, it's what works for a person and is in their budget.

I am finding that different things do better with different types of cookware.  there isn't "just one kind."

• Like 1

I'd rolled my eyes at them - unless someone is a professional chef cooking complex dishes that are finicky about both heat sources and pans, it's what works for a person and is in their budget.

I am finding that different things do better with different types of cookware.  there isn't "just one kind."

:iagree:  I've used a range of cookware at different price points and except for the dirt cheap stuff being a nightmare, I didn't really notice any difference. The thirty dollar skillet I have now cooks just as well as the $200 one I used to have (that dh ruined trying to make spaghetti, lol).  As long as something is safe, I couldn't care less about its fanciness quotient.

Edited by Mergath
  • Like 1

:iagree:  I've used a range of cookware at different price points and except for the dirt cheap stuff being a nightmare, I didn't really notice any difference. The thirty dollar skillet I have now cooks just as well as the $200 one I used to have (that dh ruined trying to make spaghetti, lol).  As long as something is safe, I couldn't care less about its fanciness quotient.

I bought a non-stick 4qt all-clad d5. first time I used it the huge difference in heath transfer was apparent.  :001_wub:   I was making béchamel sauce.  worth. every. penny.  I'll never go back. (I bought a bare one for ds to use when he makes fudge - he can use metal tools in it.)

I've bought a few more pieces with which I've been very happy - and a very big difference in performance over what they replaced, I've also bought some cast iron I'm rather fond of. (cast iron being super cheap and lasts forever.)

really depends what you're doing with it.

• Like 1

:iagree: I've used a range of cookware at different price points and except for the dirt cheap stuff being a nightmare, I didn't really notice any difference. The thirty dollar skillet I have now cooks just as well as the $200 one I used to have (that dh ruined trying to make spaghetti, lol). As long as something is safe, I couldn't care less about its fanciness quotient.

How in the world did he ruin a pan cooking spaghetti? I've burned all sorts of Hingis and only once had to throw away a pot, but it was a $10 pot that I already hated.

A $200 pan might get the PERSON who ruined it tossed out, LOL! Or at least theyd only be allowed to cook JiffyPop from then on ;)

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 2

How in the world did he ruin a pan cooking spaghetti? I've burned all sorts of Hingis and only once had to throw away a pot, but it was a $10 pot that I already hated.

A $200 pan might get the PERSON who ruined it tossed out, LOL! Or at least theyd only be allowed to cook JiffyPop from then on ;)

let the water boil off?

I'm not sure on the details because I was gone when the actual event happened and only arrived home for the aftermath, but he had used the skillet to cook something (Maybe meat for the spaghetti sauce? It was a few years ago so I can't remember) and forgot to turn the heat off, so the empty pan was just sitting on the hot burner. Then after he dumped the spaghetti noodles into a bowl, he somehow set the plastic colander into the pan (not as weird as it sounds because our old place had almost zero counter space) and melted it. I tried to salvage the skillet, but it was a lost cause. It reeked like melted plastic for weeks.

I still say he did it on purpose so that I would never, ever make him cook again.

• Like 2

No veiled political posts. Not this week and probably not for the foreseeable future. They instantly start fights and then the moderators have to spend valuable time shutting this down. Just please don't.

No veiled political posts. Not this week and probably not for the foreseeable future. They instantly start fights and then the moderators have to spend valuable time shutting this down. Just please don't.

I'm not sure if you're referring to my OP or something else that was deleted, but I swear, I really was talking about an orange pot. I promise that wanting to get the orange tint out of my pot wasn't code for taking down the current government or something. :lol:

• Like 2