Menu

need help in finding resources for current political topics

Artichoke

You awesome ladies ( and men )  of the Hive  have great insight on resources.    Could you help me find good, solid resources about the current state of affairs with POTUS?  I'm particularly interested in the pipeline issue.  Everything I've read seems vague.   I know we have a current events group, but I'm not looking to discuss or debate.  I'm mostly interested in asking for research help.  Please be nonpolitical so the discussion ( if one ensues ) can remain on the board.   

Thanks. I think I might look into an educator's discount. Does such a thing exist?

Huh, I've never thought to look though I bet we'd qualify too. If you find some papers with one please share the info with the rest of the class :D

I'll second or third on Wall Street Journal. We get both WSJ (weekdays) and New York Times on Saturday.  NYT is very negative. WSJ more straight forward with both positive and negative. I'd say the most unbiased at this point.  

Online going direct to AP or Reuters will give you unfiltered news (for the most part)

UK news like BBC and Guardian are much better than half the online u.s. news agencies and provide plenty of links within their stories to articles surrounding the primary article. 

Arts and Letters Daily have links in their sidebar to breaking news papers if you prefer not to even look at Drudge who has all news agency links. With his site, just ignore the top stuff and scroll immediately down to the bottom and look at the left sidebar for all world news links.  But can be overwhelming if you don't know who is who since vast range from ultra conservative to ultra liberal. 

• Like 2

I'll say again... anyone who wants a single, middle of the road source to keep up on the basics, The Week is a great magazine to subscribe to. Read it in a single sitting and be - surface level - informed about a wide variety of issues both national and international. It's good for people who want a good starting point.

Sounds like you want more in depth information, but it's still a good one to know about.

• Like 4

I stay up to date via Twitter. I subscribe to several feeds of news publications and the individual reporters. I also visit the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and New York Times. On Twitter, I follow AP, NPR, The Economist, and Market Watch. Flipboard is also a good, newer, resource. I also like Sky News. Some of the outlets do a better job of reporting on international news than others. BBC comes to mind. 

• Like 1

I just did a live chat with the WSJ and was told the discount did not apply to homeschoolers -- only people with a .edu address. The woman I chatted with said that up until August or so of 2016, they did have options for homeschoolers, but that program has been discontinued. Too bad. I would have subscribed for $49. She said there were other promotions available, but I've never seen one as good as $49.

ETA: Someone else already posted this.

Edited by Serenade

I'll say again... anyone who wants a single, middle of the road source to keep up on the basics, The Week is a great magazine to subscribe to. Read it in a single sitting and be - surface level - informed about a wide variety of issues both national and international. It's good for people who want a good starting point.

Sounds like you want more in depth information, but it's still a good one to know about.

I think I'll subscribe to this since the WSJ is out of my price range.  Thanks for mentioning it.

• Like 1