Menu

AP Statistics - WHA (Wilson Hill) or PAH

Hi! We had planned all along to take in 11th or 12th AP Stats through Blue Hen's PAH course.

But... I see WHA offers AP Stats (at least this next year) with Eric Reini - who my son currently has for Alg II and loves!

Anyone with any experiences with WHA AP Stats?

Short of that - still love to hear those with experience with AP Stats at PAH...

No experience with WHA, but  Carole Matheny at Pennsylvania Homeschoolers is a fantastic AP statistics teacher.

Feel free to private message me any specific questions.

If you are comparing two great teachers, then I would look harder at how the course is structured and what your son would respond to best.

• Like 1

My son is also in Mr. Reini's Alg. 2 course this year, and although my son REALLY likes Mr. Reini and respects him wholeheartedly, my son is often frustrated with the amount of wasted time in class. There are many times when the class doesn't get to a topic in class, and I have to teach it to him later or Mr. Reini uploads a video tutorial on the topic.

This would scare me in an AP level class. There is always SO MUCH to cover and master in the school year in AP courses. Everyone has to be focused...teacher included.

Again...I am pleased with what my son has learned in Alg. 2 overall and would recommend it with that one caveat. 

Having said that, my older son took Carole Matheny's PAH AP Stats and absolutely loved it...one of his favorite courses in high school. Make sure that you understand that there is no live component with it (at least there wasn't when my son took it). There are daily lessons that Carole has written with reading and problem solving from a text. There is some discussion board participation. She also includes some little stats projects along the way. A very well done course!

• Like 4

My son is also in Mr. Reini's Alg. 2 course this year, and although my son REALLY likes Mr. Reini and respects him wholeheartedly, my son is often frustrated with the amount of wasted time in class. There are many times when the class doesn't get to a topic in class, and I have to teach it to him later or Mr. Reini uploads a video tutorial on the topic.

On the other hand, there is no class with PAH. My ds learned most of what he learned from YouTube videos. The book was good, but both classes probably use a solid text. Carole's lessons were helpful, but seeing a second written explanation wasn't enough here. Watching someone talk and work through things in a video was better.

I guess my advice would be to know your student. If she loves the teacher and gets a lot out of class, stick with WHA. If she learns well through reading (which works for us in some subjects, but not math), PAH was a solid trek through the material without a lot of wasted time.

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 2

Ha!  I thought I recognized Eric Reini's name, so I looked him up--I went to college with him!  Fun!  We were both math majors too.

My son took PAH's AP stats, and it was definitely not his favorite class over, format-wise, even though he did fine.  He didn't have a lot of extra time to participate in the forum and the other extra things.  He felt isolated, and he definitely prefers an actual teacher.  He begged me not to sign him up for any more PAH classes because he really didn't like the format.  I definitely agree with the advice to know your student!

• Like 2

We love Mr. Reini and I never hear of wasted class time personally. How cool you know him - he's quite a character from what I understand. :) My ds thrives on the live interactions. I'd say I'd lean toward WHA's AP Stats class, but not sure if it is CB approved... so will check on that. Again this isn't until junior or senior year - and we're only freshman right now. 

Thanks for the frank reviews!!! Keep them coming if anyone has more to add!

• Like 1

We're big fans of the PA Homeschool AP Stats class. Lots of fun & learning!

Asynchronus classes were a necessity here since we traveled often for my dd's extracurriculars, and she was able to fit the work into her free time. She likes lots of interaction & found plenty of opportunity to talk to the other students on the class boards, both academically & socially.

• Like 3