Menu

The Ski Lodge (aka Teachers Lounge) 1-12-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning, all!

Getting ready to head out the door but thought I could at least open the Lounge first.

What are you up to today, besides schooling? Here: getting ready to go pick up some garden fresh peppermint

from a friend so I can make a tincture later; then to the chiropractor; prep for lessons; conference call, and  few other things.

What are some unique birds that live near you or in your area? Here: there's a pair of Harris' hawks that live not too far away. Occasionally we see an owl in the vicinity. And lately we've had crows fly through which is strange because they've not been in this area since we moved here almost 18 years ago!

What's for breakfast? Here: I need ideas!

Talk to me! :bigear:

Oatmeal is always for breakfast here so that's probably not much help. Unless it's Sunday then ds makes waffles if he gets up early enough to make them before CBS Sunday Morning starts. Then no waffles because priorities.

We mostly have your standard US backyard birds. A few Cardinals make frequent stops to my feeders year round which makes me feel honored even if they won't let me take their picture. We also have hawks that have been in the area. The squirrel tail that fell from the tree the year before was particularly amusing. I suspect we're a pit stop of some sort.

Just school and laundry today. Made my phone calls yesterday while the kids were at class. I'm looking forward to a quiet, get your school work done at home kind of day.

Good morning!

Today is grocery shopping and errand day, and we'll also stop by the book store and the comic book store.

We live in a very rural area and have birds galore - bald eagles, hawks, owls, wild turkeys, water birds, swallows, bluebirds...right now at my feeders there are finches, cardinals, blue jays, juncos, chickadees, mourning doves, and several types of woodpeckers. We go through loads of bird seed and suet. We also have lots of hummingbirds in the summer and have feeders for them as well.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with riced cauliflower and sweet potatoes on the side. Hubby had some turkey bacon with his.

• Like 1

Breakfast for the kids was grapefruit, cereals of various kinds, croissants and eggs. I had someone's left over grapefruit and lots of water.

In the middle of Boston we have at least two flocks of wild turkeys in the neighborhood.  They are mean suckers!

I have to do some shopping at the Dollar Store, get my daughter's glasses from the store and take the boys to guitar.  I'd love to get to the thrift store to find a very-needed skirt but I don't see it happening.

Well, the plan *was* to go to the Niagara Power Authority Visitor's Center - allegedly they added a bunch of very neat stuff (think science museum like, but about a power plant) last spring, though I've never been there before, so I wouldn't know. BUT, car wouldn't start until the 8th(!!!) try, so I made that a priority, so we dropped the car off at the shop and then played Pokemon Go while walking home a couple of miles. Got a bit of drizzle on us, but otherwise the weather is very nice for January in WNY.

Oatmeal always makes me hungry.

Selkie, your area sounds beautiful!

Yael, how in the world are there wild turkeys in the middle of Boston??

luuknam, sorry about the car! Any thoughts as to what caused that?

I am obviously back from picking up mint and going to the chiropractor.

Friend's mint might actually be orange mint so I have to decide whether I'm going to actually

use that or not for the tincture. May just make mint water with that. Chiro was a slacker

on bringing me mint like he promised! :toetap05: You should have seen the guilty look on his face

when I saw him this morning!  :D

Brainstorm costume ideas for a play both my dds will be in however I am also responsible for organizing and preparing the other thirty five needed costumes.  I also need to follow up on a couple emails regarding a science team I am coaching. 

We regularly see Canada Geese, Red-tailed Hawks and Chickadees.  The other day we had about 300 Canada Geese in our drive way....they left a mess.

Kids had leftover homemade cinnamon rolls and I had scrambled eggs with salsa.

luuknam, sorry about the car! Any thoughts as to what caused that?

They called me and said the starter is on its way out, so now I don't just have an idea, but a price tag too ($326, though I need to go see if I happen to have a coupon lying around). I told them to fix it. It had been having some issues for the past few months with sometimes not starting until the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th try. We actually called them at the end of December, because the check engine light also came on, but that light went back off again after a couple of days, so we canceled that appointment and then wanted to drive it a little while longer to see if the light would come on again, because I don't want to pay to replace the starter if the entire engine needs to be replaced or something else crazy expensive - we'd just want to replace the car in that case. But, the check engine light hasn't come on again. So, oh well.

Good afternoon! I got home yesterday from TN and keeping my nephew. I have been getting a cold, so right now I'm sneezy and red-nosed.

What are you up to today, besides schooling? 

A lot of stuff for ds: Spanish club that meets monthly; ate lunch with the moms while kids played outside since it's in the 70s here; piano lesson; ds has basketball tonight)

What are some unique birds that live near you or in your area?

I'm not sure we have any rare birds, but swallows have built nearby for years. They are so annoying and dive at you if you get close to their nests. Dh puts rocks on the ledges of our porch so they won't build there, but a neighbor just lets them build there year after year. 

What's for breakfast?

Ds had waffles and bacon. I had a granola bar and coffee.