Menu

Is it common for faculty to review applications?

quark

We are at a the public STEM uni. As far as I am aware, faculty are not involved in admissions decisions.

Since the department gives scholarships, the dept sees some materials eventually for the scholarship decisions. I can ask my chair for details.

Applications to our graduate program are reviewed and handled through faculty; there is a committee for that. But the undergrads just show up once they have been accepted.

At our school, students apply to the university and not into individual majors.

• Like 3

I have never heard of faculty routinely reviewing undergraduate applications EXCEPT in the case of arts students. My dd applied as a music performance major, and at various auditions profs did mention various parts of her application so they had clearly reviewed her application.

In the normal academic arena our experience is that if a student really impresses a faculty member and the faculty member mentions this to an admissions person, the admissions counselor takes that VERY seriously. (My dd had a neat conversation with a prof who bustled over afterwards to the admissions person and mentioned this. I was late picking dd up from the scholarship weekend so the ad con was hanging out with dd making small talk and he mentioned that the prof had come and recommended her and that that was VERY unusual and they would take it very seriously.)

YMMV

• Like 5

I have never heard of faculty routinely reviewing undergraduate applications EXCEPT in the case of arts students. My dd applied as a music performance major, and at various auditions profs did mention various parts of her application so they had clearly reviewed her application.

<snip>

Someone on WTM has a DC who was interested in Aeronautical Engineering as I recall.  One of the schools they were interested in was UWashington in Seattle. There, the final decision for Undergraduate Admissions is apparently made by the College of Engineering.  Having worked as an Engineer, I think that is a good thing and would, hopefully, reduce the percentage of students who wash out.  . However, the really bad part of that, as I recall, is that they would not make a decision until July, when the term begins in August or September, so that puts the students in a bad position, because if they are not accepted by UWashington in July, they are probably out of luck with other universities.  

• Like 2

Thank you all. I am trying to understand how common this might be and I know it's hard to predict given different practices at different campuses. I thought it could happen with private universities but would not have thought it common at state universities. And did not realize specific departments might do things their own way for college applications. For research and things like that yes, but not the initial application itself.

IME, it is not common for professors to be involved in undergraduate admissions.  The only time I have heard of this being the case is when their is an audition (music, dance, etc.) required.  Even in these cases, I have usually seen where university admissions is one thing (which professors are not involved in) and admissions to a particular major or program is a separate issue.

• Like 1