Menu

How well does Prodigy meet your child's level?

Just wondering.

I thought I'd be able to figure it out myself by watching my three kids, but my 8 year old hasn't played very much yet (after 2 weeks) so I am only getting good data from the 4 year old.

I should have started the 8 year old as a 5th grader, but I didn't know they would place him two grades back by their standards. He is not impressed with "baby questions" on place value and such. I don't know if it is worth trying to tweak it, or if it is always going to be slow to keep up with him and we should just give up.

What has been your experience?

It did a lousy job with my oldest--but in the opposite direction you have dealt with. It placed him 3 grades ahead of where he's actually working. One or two grades might have been doable for him, but three was just frustrating. I wound up overriding the placement by stating what grade level he should be in. The problems are a little on the easy side (compared to what he's capable of), but at least they are on topics that he's actually learned about.

• Like 1

I've had it go both ways.  It placed my then-4yo 2 grade levels above where he was working and my then-7yo 2 grade levels below where he was working.  It doesn't matter really anymore because I use the planner extensively, so they pretty much only get questions I picked (which are perfectly appropriate, lol).

• Like 1

Has he finished the placement questions? (I assume you have a parent or teacher account setup...). It not, then it is still figuring things out and he should continue. If it has and things will seek too easy, then override the level.

And I use the planner a lot.... I have set things up to match the current topics we are working on. Or I have set it up to preview a topic (so I notice, for example, that a child is coming up to something like time... So I setup an assignment covering those topics... If they are it, I can skip those lessons in our math book!)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I don't know if he's actually finished the placement section yet. It looks like he has only done about 60 questions total and he says he only got one wrong once (he misread the word vertices and didn't know what they were asking... Then told me the game had a weird word for corners.. "ver-tik-iz"). It says his placement is 1st grade but that he hasn't started any of the curriculum content for 1st grade so I don't know.

I guess I'll have to investigate the planner a bit more and see if I can do anything about it. I was a little bit confused by the assignments vs. Planner section and exactly what each description meant in terms of content but I am sure I can figure out out if necessary.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know if he's actually finished the placement section yet. It looks like he has only done about 60 questions total and he says he only got one wrong once (he misread the word vertices and didn't know what they were asking... Then told me the game had a weird word for corners.. "ver-tik-iz"). It says his placement is 1st grade but that he hasn't started any of the curriculum content for 1st grade so I don't know.

I guess I'll have to investigate the planner a bit more and see if I can do anything about it. I was a little bit confused by the assignments vs. Planner section and exactly what each description meant in terms of content but I am sure I can figure out out if necessary.

It says first grade? That is weird. Override it to what you think his grade level should be then.

The planner topic you assign will be the topics his questions will be about until it is mastered, unless there is an assignment. But it will not do the planner topic if the student is at a grade level too different from the topic. I think it might do related topics at the lower level of the student is a couple of grade levels below. Once the topic is mastered, or if the student is at too high a grade level, it just continue with the questions it would have asked on its own. Reports to you if students are struggling, still working on it, or mastered. If a student is struggling too much, it will move to a different topic for a while... I think either 20ish questions, of the next time the student Logs in.

Assignments are what they sound like. You are basically assigning a number of random questions on a topic. I think all students get them, no matter the level they are at. They all get the same questions (but in different order). You get the percent correct when done, and can see the questions and their responses.

So, priority in determining questions.... Assignments, Planner, original assessment (if not completed), whatever prodigy thinks is best.

• Like 1

When my kids started it placed one child 1 grade behind and the other child one grade ahead. I suspect that the child placed a grade behind did not read some of the questions carefully and made a couple of simple mistakes as this child often does. I contemplated overriding the placement but decided to leave her there figuring it will act as revision and hopefully she will learn to read more carefully before answering. Within 12 months both children had progressed through 2 complete grade levels and both are now almost ready to move up a grade again so all in all, initial placement was not really a problem, yes she had to work through an entire grade behind where she should have been but it only took her a couple of months to do that entire grade and she is now almost 2 grades ahead in under a year. The program will move them up a grade as they finish one automatically

• Like 1

I thought it did pretty decently with all three of my kids.  It placed my youngest at the lowest level (perfect, since he's 4 and I've pretty much sidelined him so far...).  DD was placed a level ahead of her actual textbook (about right, since she's competent but I'm going slowly to keep her stress down--and Prodigy increased her grade level about the same time she went to the next level textbook), and ODS was placed three levels ahead of his textbook and has maintained that gap (again, about right since I'm doing Beast to slow him down).  From my experience, I wouldn't say that Prodigy fails to meet their need for challenge; ODS was in the placement testing phase forever, it seemed, before it finally assigned him a level.

My kids actually relish the easy questions because they take less time to answer; when Prodigy has them work on a new problem type it can give them 20 or more of the same question type in a row, and when you're doing something long and complicated, it gets a bit tedious.  That to say--if you do speed him up, he may have new complaints. :-)

• Like 1

When my kids started it placed one child 1 grade behind and the other child one grade ahead. I suspect that the child placed a grade behind did not read some of the questions carefully and made a couple of simple mistakes as this child often does. I contemplated overriding the placement but decided to leave her there figuring it will act as revision and hopefully she will learn to read more carefully before answering. Within 12 months both children had progressed through 2 complete grade levels and both are now almost ready to move up a grade again so all in all, initial placement was not really a problem, yes she had to work through an entire grade behind where she should have been but it only took her a couple of months to do that entire grade and she is now almost 2 grades ahead in under a year. The program will move them up a grade as they finish one automatically

Out of curiosity, how can you tell how far your kids have progressed through a level and whether they're about to move up?  None of the reports I can view seem to include that data.  I can see their percentage correct on particular question types, but not whether they've completed that segment of the curriculum.

Of course, right now it claims that none of my kids have done any Prodigy--ever, according to the tracker--when I've watched all three answer questions every work day for the entire school year, so it may just be that I've got a buggy variety.

• Like 1

This is an interesting thread and helpful. I just started my 5 year old on it. :she's only played a little and has done maybe 10 questions.

Is it better to have a teacher account vs. a parent one?

I think they're the same; I have both (because I wanted my kids in separate classes and that seemed to be the only way to do it at the time).

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, how can you tell how far your kids have progressed through a level and whether they're about to move up?  None of the reports I can view seem to include that data.  I can see their percentage correct on particular question types, but not whether they've completed that segment of the curriculum.

Of course, right now it claims that none of my kids have done any Prodigy--ever, according to the tracker--when I've watched all three answer questions every work day for the entire school year, so it may just be that I've got a buggy variety.

You should be able to go into the report section and there is an area called Curriculum Coverage (I think? something like that) where it shows their grade level and the question coverage matched to the standards. There are rods that go from grey bars to green (or red if there is a problem). The kiddo I am having trouble with has no curriculum coverage despite at least 60 questions done, but the other kids who have over 150 questions (at least, I haven't looked it up further than the one week it shows) both have a portion of the 1st grade curriculum covered. 

It does seem that it counts the work toward curriculum coverage if you make assignments on that topic, so I think I am just going to make him assignments for a while and see what happens. He is a 3rd grader but doing about 4th grade math.  He might have fun doing "easy" questions like single digit multiplication and clock reading, but would not be willing to work through the entire 1st and 2nd grade curriculum sets.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, how can you tell how far your kids have progressed through a level and whether they're about to move up? None of the reports I can view seem to include that data. I can see their percentage correct on particular question types, but not whether they've completed that segment of the curriculum.

When I logged in today I had a bad across the top mentioning a problem they were working on with historic data. But I didn't see any difference...

You don't see any info on the dashboard? Are they playing on the correct accounts?

When I logged in today I had a bad across the top mentioning a problem they were working on with historic data. But I didn't see any difference...

You don't see any info on the dashboard? Are they playing on the correct accounts?

They're definitely playing on the right accounts; I even log the youngest in myself almost every day.  I had this issue before for a while (and then it was fine for a few months), so maybe it's a bug they're battling long-term.  Right now my dashboard shows my kids' levels but has zero data from their activity, and if I go to the reports to see how many questions they've done, it tells me they've not answered any questions, no matter what date range I select.  Hopefully they get it sorted out soon; at least if there's a flag at the top of the screen I can hope they're working on it...  Maybe I'll wait a few days and then check again.