Menu

How to stop bleeding in dog

Joules

My dog is bleeding from a place on her chest.  It's not anything we've noticed before, but it looks like a small tumor.  I know any blood seems like a lot, but there is a good bit.  Pressure helps, but I haven't been able to get it to clot up.  We've bandaged and bound it, but there is some seeping through on her bed.

Are there any tricks besides pressure that I am missing?

(The emergency vet might be an option but the sleet is coming down and the roads are slick with ice.  I'm not sure the chance of us getting there without needing more medical care.)

May sound weird but you can use a sanitary napkin pad to help absorb the blood.  Put it facing the wound, and have the sticky side (with the paper still on it) facing out.  That might help.  Then wrap it around with a cloth or ideally an ace bandage to hold it on.

I'm sorry.  Must be so troubling.  

• Like 3

Thanks all!  I did have styptic for the quicks.  Now we have her rebandaged with a maxi-pad stuck to the inside of one leg of my Spanx. It's way more secure than the bandage stuff I had before, so I'm more hopeful it will stay still long enough to clot.  Who would've thought I'd ever feel lucky that my dog's chest was the size of my thigh!

• Like 9

The bleeding tumor that our dog had slowed down with a bandage but still seeped until it was cauterized the next day. And ultimately it needed to be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've no doubt this will have to be dealt with, probably the same way.  Our vet is usually open on Saturday but with the weather I'm not sure.  

• Like 1

Thanks all!  I did have styptic for the quicks.  Now we have her rebandaged with a maxi-pad stuck to the inside of one leg of my Spanx. It's way more secure than the bandage stuff I had before, so I'm more hopeful it will stay still long enough to clot.  Who would've thought I'd ever feel lucky that my dog's chest was the size of my thigh!

Awesome, Styptic used to be one of those things every man who used a double-edged razor would have in his kit. But I was reluctant to suggest it, as times have changed. At least you had it for dog nails.

Hope you get it all sorted when the road clears.

Bill

Awesome, Styptic used to be one of those things every man who used a double-edged razor would have in his kit. But I was reluctant to suggest it, as times have changed. At least you had it for dog nails.

Hope you get it all sorted when the road clears.

Bill

We couldn't find it anywhere when our dog injured her tail. Bleeding tail on a very energetic Lab pup...looked like a crime scene. Thankfully some cornstarch and lots of stretchy bandage stopped it.

We couldn't find it anywhere when our dog injured her tail. Bleeding tail on a very energetic Lab pup...looked like a crime scene. Thankfully some cornstarch and lots of stretchy bandage stopped it.

I went to several pharmacies searching for a styptic pencil when I revived my double-edged razor shaving habit and I remember young sales-girls looking at me like I was from Mars when I asked them where the styptic pencils were. I eventually ordered one online.

And where do you keep the rotary telephones? :D

Bill

I went to several pharmacies searching for a styptic pencil when I revived my double-edged razor shaving habit and I remember young sales-girls looking at me like I was from Mars when I asked them where the styptic pencils were. I eventually ordered one online.

And where do you keep the rotary telephones? :D

Bill

Lol...well I was a Northerner living in the South, so they already thought I was an idiot for calling soda Pop.

It's clotted into a messy wound this morning.  I don't know what it is since I wrapped it right back up.  She seems fine and was more disturbed that I wanted her to go out and pee on the cold white stuff than the fact she is wounded and wearing Spanx.  Dh and I will check it out better once he is up.  If it's torn growth, it can probably wait til Monday, but if it is some type of wound, we might need to battle the elements. 

• Like 1

Vets aren't making it in today, but I talked to a tech this morning.  There's no swelling, heat, redness, or pus so we are just going in first thing Monday.  I'm thinking a skin tag or a small tumor.  She has a history of skin cancer, so hoping it's not that!

• Like 2