Menu

Q If You've Read Lev Grossman's "Magicians" Series

Crimson Wife

Is the 2nd book any better than the 1st? I'd started reading it ages ago, but stopped because I disliked the characters and nothing much had happened by pg. 112. Then we saw the first season of the Syfy show and I liked that, so I finished the book. Wow, what a waste of time. I'm wondering if I should bother reading the 2nd book or just write it off in favor of only watching the TV show. Thoughts?

I don't know. I slogged though the first one and never was motivated to read the next. Was the show good? I was hesitant.

The show bears only minimal resemblance to the book. It is definitely for adults (lots of s*xual content and bad language) but way more entertaining than the book.

• Like 1

I'm working my way through the first book. I don't think I can take another one. I hate the protagonist. I hate the love interest. I've got only one secondary character I care about.

ETA: I will force myself to finish the book. The writing is pretty good. The story is depressing. The characters....ugh.

Edited by Critterfixer

Haaaaaaaated that series. Read them (it's a horrible habit I have... finishing books even if I don't like them...) - can't remember how many there were? - and haaaaaaated them. And I rarely hate books. Bleak plot, unappealing characters, bizarre and purposeless storyline... ugh. And the ending was gross. 😖

Edited by hopskipjump

I read the first book ages ago when it came out and while I liked it, I found Quentin annoying enough that I didn't want to read the second one when it came out. Now I'm watching and enjoying the show on Netflix. I feel like it's a very divisive thing - people seem to all like one and hate the other, which is a bit fascinating. I really liked some elements of the book, but I hated Quentin. He's not much better on the show... It's an interesting thing though...

I read the first book ages ago when it came out and while I liked it, I found Quentin annoying enough that I didn't want to read the second one when it came out. Now I'm watching and enjoying the show on Netflix. I feel like it's a very divisive thing - people seem to all like one and hate the other, which is a bit fascinating. I really liked some elements of the book, but I hated Quentin. He's not much better on the show... It's an interesting thing though...

Quentin is better on the show (though still a bit annoying). In the show, when he cheats on Alice, it's because he's under the influence of a spell. In the book, he's just bored with the relationship and partied too hard one night. The way the book had it made zero sense from a plot perspective IMHO while in the show, it did.

• Like 1