Menu

Suggestions for focusing on paragraph writing? (12yo)

Happygrl

I'm looking for a something to help me focus on better paragraph writing with my daughter.  She's 12 but her writing is below grade-level.  It's only been in the last year or so that she could be given a topic and then write a paragraph or two on it without the entire thing resulting in tears.  It's still not easy for her.  Now that she can, I really want to focus on improving that skill but I don't know where to start.  My goal by the end of the school year is to get her to do a 5-paragraph essay with assistance and a 3-paragraph piece without assistance.  

I'm not looking for a full writing program, just something that would focus on paragraph writing skills. 

We use W&R as our main program, along with Writing Strands.  I credit both Writing Strands's approach to getting her to be willing & able to put thoughts down and W&R has definitely improved her quality.  

Edited by Happygrl
  • Like 1

The Paragraph Books are fine, but probably below what you need. They are very simple and explicit. We flew through them pretty quickly, but they did their job. 

We liked  the Writing Skills book better. We used book 3 (grades 9-12) in grade 5 I think. It's designed for "struggling writers" and it wasn't so much that she was struggling; she just was reluctant, and she did great at the upper level book and learned a lot. Went through it pretty quickly.

Both of those are EPS, but available pretty much everywhere: http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/literacy/grammar-writing

We honestly went from that to the Lively Art of Writing and are now using a mishmash of things. Focusing on persuasive essays now. Once I accepted that she doesn't like creative writing and loves more academic style of writing, we have been happier.

She's honestly still not a prolific writer, but when she does write, it's beautiful. Organization, mechanics, voice. She's got it, and it's extraordinarily frustrating that she still won't do it often! (She's 12 too))

Edited by deerforest

I wouldn't worry about rushing to essays in 7th grade. I would focus on confidence in writing well-organized paragraphs whether it be 1, 2, 3. You might look at Put That in Writing's books. The first focuses on paragraphs (I own it and have used it with a6th/7th grader that needed to improve their paragraph skills.....well, I used the instruction portion and skipped the assignments and generated my own.) The 2nd book focuses on essays. I have never seen it, but if you like the first book, it might be worthwhile pursuing it as a follow up.

http://barrettsbookshelf.com

• Like 1

Since you're already doing W&R and Writing Strands, do be careful that you don't crush a newly-developing writer with too much writing and too many formal programs by adding yet a 3rd thing to focus on paragraphs... Perhaps intersperse your programs with a wide variety of writing to help build her writing stamina and to write about things she is interested in to make writing enjoyable. :) Just a thought. :)

Also be sure to take into account what *type* of writing she connects with. As Deer Forest above said, if your DD is not interested in imaginative and creative writing, no need to go there. However, if she is artistic, creative, and imaginative, sticking only with reports, expository writing, and formal persuasive paragraphs will be soul-crushing. It's important to practice a variety of writing (descriptive, narrative, expository, and persuasive), but at this delicate stage to do so with the kinds of topics that resonate with the student to help fan into full life that spark that she has developed right now, without snuffing it out with overkill assignments or assignments that she has no connection with. Again, JMO. :)

Ideas:

- blog entries

- short book and movie reviews

- journal entries or free-writing from prompts

- narration summary of what she found most interesting in the History or Science that week

- create a family newspaper or newsletter and add articles (learning 

- creative writing paragraphs (prompts that leave a situation in a "cliff-hanger", and she gets to finish off the scene)

- creating posters, brochures, or power points for oral presentations on what she's learning in history or science (while not paragraphs, these are useful types of assignments for honing word choice and for focusing on key ideas and deciding on what are the most important points -- which in an essay you then go on to support with examples and commentary)

Another thought would be to set aside the W&R and Writing Strands for a season, and use resources that focus on paragraph writing and intersperse that new resource with a wide variety of assignments to keep interest high in writing without requiring so much writing that you crush DD's spirit. ;)

Ideas:

Paragraphs for Middle School (Killgallon)

Four Square Writing Method + Writing in Content Areas  (Gould)

Wordsmith (Cheaney)

Paragraph Writing Made Easy (Smith)

Mastering the 5-Paragraph Essay (Van Zile) -- probably a resource for later on

50 Writing Lessons That Work (Rawlings Miller) -- prompt/assignment ideas

Comic Strip Writing Prompts (Kellaher)

Writing Prompt Resources:
Creative Writing Prompts (346 prompts; story prompts, mostly for grades 6+)
Write Source: writing topics (about 2 dozen general topic areas per grade level, gr. 1-12)
ABC Teach: writing prompts (200 prompts; each on a printable page; many holiday-related; elementary and upper elementary)
Teachers Net: journal writing ideas (100+ ideas, in categories: "about yourself"; "fantasy"; "if I..."; "things"; "people"; "using your imagination")
Can Teach: writing prompts/journal topics ( 250+ prompts by category: "what is"; "what if"; "what do you think"; "what... misc."; "how"; "I wish"; "when"; "which"; "why"; "misc.")
Journal Buddies (writing prompts by grade level -- feel free to use prompts from multiple grades ;) ) 

...My goal by the end of the school year is to get her to do a 5-paragraph essay with assistance and a 3-paragraph piece without assistance...

First, gently, you can't rush writing independence. If your DD still needs you there for the writing process by the end of the year, esp. for a longer piece of writing, please don't get exasperated or feel like you "failed" a goal -- some students absolutely need a mentor to help with the writing process until well into high school.

What you might be able to do is sit with your DD and help with the brainstorming and ordering of thoughts, and then she tackles a paragraph at a time solo, and then you come back together and discuss and revise, she completes revision on her own, then you come back together again for proof-editing and mark the paper/discuss, and then she completes the proofing on her own. So for many students it's a more gradual process of moving into writing independence. Some can make the jump from brainstorming/ordering their ideas with the parent to writing a complete rough draft of 3- to 5-paragraphs solo, and then back together again, but I would prepare to still be very involved at key parts of the writing process with a 12yo -- as well as a 14yo, unless they are a natural writer. Just my experience with an average writer and a struggling writer with mild LDs.

Finally, I know you're not looking for a program, but Jump In went a long ways towards helping our struggling writer do this very thing when he was about 13yo. The program is written to the student, and helps the student figure out what they want to say, and then helps them organize their thoughts/writing. The program has the student writing 3- and 5-paragraph assignments (taking 1-3 weeks to slowly build up a paragraph at a time) in all 4 areas of writing (Descriptive, Narrative, Expository, Persuasive). Jump In is by Sharon Watson, who also recently put out a high school program that is similar is style (just at a higher level) called The Power In Your Hands. Just throwing it in there in case that might be of interest.

BEST of luck, whatever you go with! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I'm looking for a something to help me focus on better paragraph writing with my daughter.  She's 12 but her writing is below grade-level.  It's only been in the last year or so that she could be given a topic and then write a paragraph or two on it without the entire thing resulting in tears.  It's still not easy for her.  Now that she can, I really want to focus on improving that skill but I don't know where to start.  My goal by the end of the school year is to get her to do a 5-paragraph essay with assistance and a 3-paragraph piece without assistance.  

I'm not looking for a full writing program, just something that would focus on paragraph writing skills. 

We use W&R as our main program, along with Writing Strands.  I credit both Writing Strands' approach to getting her to be willing & able to put thoughts down and W&R has definitely improved her quality.  

You're already using two excellent products. I'd just stick with those. Really.

Personally, I don't remember being given a topic and having to write *just a paragraph*, ever. Could *you* do it? When you were 12?